1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Helmets?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by edgerat, Jun 22, 2020.

1. edgerat

edgerat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking for input on Arai and Shoei trials models. I have an Airoh (fits ok, it smashes me ears though), and just returned a Hebo (hit me weird in the back of the head and crown of the head, also smashed me ears). My head measures at 61.5cm but, all XL are really tight, XXL are generally too lose. I know they are even more money but, anyone bothered to import the Arai or Shoei helmets??? Is MotoCard a reputable place to buy from?

Thanks!
    Norman Foley likes this.
  2. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've purchased from MotoCard without a problem in the past, for an Airoh helmet.

I thought I'd try an Arai, after many years of street and off road use. My old Arai MXC-Pro with the rock guard removed was my first trials helmet. The Penta Pro wasn't available anywhere yet a couple of years ago, so I bought a Japanese market Hyper T Pro. Price was about $100 cheaper than Euro online vendors. Problem is I forgot that Japanese market Arai helmets have different shell shape, with a rounder, less oval fit. Huge pressure point on my forehead in my correct size. My point is if you want an Arai, get a Euro Penta Pro.
    jonnyc21 and edgerat like this.
  3. edgerat

Oddometer:
    thanks Norman!
    Norman Foley likes this.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had to pull a little padding out of the sides of my Airoh to make it fit right. Just needle nose pliers and pull a couple bites of foam out and then try it again.
    Norman Foley and edgerat like this.
  5. LowPSI

LowPSI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motocard is legit.
    Norman Foley and edgerat like this.
  6. edgerat

Oddometer:
    Thank you Martin and Yinz! I wonder why we can't get Shoei in the states.....
  7. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I think it isn't really that we couldn't, its that trials being a sub group of an already small group it isn't monetarily worth bring in another helmet model/brand when we already have a rather large choice of helmets for our nitch.
  8. edgerat

Oddometer:
    you can't have a Shoei TRP shipped from motocard to the USA.
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Might be a Shoei thing? Maybe they only letting dealers/distributes sell them in there allowed countries? :dunno
    Yinzer Moto and edgerat like this.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very likely because the Shoei is not DOT approved.

@edgerat, have you looked at mountain bike helmets?
    edgerat likes this.
  11. SportSawyer

SportSawyer 4RT Herder

Oddometer:
    LewisportUSA carried Shoei helemts years ago, and I had bought a TR3 and pad sets from them. Don't see them listing Shoei helmets on their site now.

Banyeres in Spain carries Shoei helmets, accessories and parts. I purchased a helmet and pad set from them in the past. They also have some fancy graphic models, if that floats your boat.

As for fit, the L and XL use the same shell with different center liners and earpads. Shoei makes different thicknesses of center liners, in the past each center liner was available in "soft" or "hard" for fine tuning. Not sure if that's still the case. The earpads are available in several thickness and fit all shell sizes. So you can tune the fit... if you can get the different pad sets and earpads.

AND... you can get loads of trick Mitani stuff for your Repsol while you're at it. Shouldn't take long to get free shipping from Spain.
    Thesolidman1, jonnyc21 and edgerat like this.
  12. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motostorm in Italy has the Shoei. I put it in my cart and it let's me ship it to USA for $33.13. I've bought from them in the past, with the only caveat.... don't order late July or early August. With the August summer holiday, you'll have a long wait. I made this mistake a couple years ago, and waited 5 weeks for a pair of Forma boots.
    https://www.motostorm.it/en/helmets/offroad-helmets/shoei-tr-3.html
    Huzband, jonnyc21 and edgerat like this.
  13. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Careful, some clubs don't allow MTB helmets. FTA for example.
    Yinzer Moto, edgerat and Norman Foley like this.
  14. Thesolidman1

Thesolidman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on my second Shoei helmet. The last one I bought from Banyeres. They are expensive, but the quality is tip top. I think the FujiGas edition was like $500 or more. My head sweats a ton when I ride and the liner on the Shoei is the best quality. I also have an Airoh. It is considerably lighter than the Shoei, and also better ventilated. It's not as high quality as the Shoei, but it's still good. It costs a lot less as well.
    edgerat, Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  15. edgerat

Oddometer:
    I do like how light the Airoh's are, they just squish my damn head. The opening at the bottom is real tight.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  16. Buschog

Buschog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Airoh TRR in white, and another in red/white. Good helmets for fit. The paint on the red one comes off if I look at the helmet wrong. I thought maybe I had dropped the helmet, or something, but I removed some vhb tape that was holding a radio mic in place and it pealed the paint with it.

My new Hebo carbon is comfy and light but doesn't seem to breathe as well as the Airoh.
    edgerat likes this.
  17. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I am interested in what model of Hebo you tried? I have an Airoh TRR and a Hebo Zone 4 and I find the Hebo to fit wider at the ears and a bit better front to back on my overly oval head than the Airoh.
    edgerat likes this.
  18. edgerat

Oddometer:
    Hebo Zone 4 carbon, should be the same mold as any Zone 4 I would think. It would put pressure (enough that it restricted movement of my head) on the base of my skull sort of. When I would try to adjust it around to take the pressure off then it would put too much pressure on the crown of my forehead. Lots more padding than Airoh, still no ear room, and I don't have big ears. I was thinking of trying a Jitsie too to see how that feels. I was told the Airoh would be better for a long oval head like mine. It fits but the pressure on my ears and the overall feeling like the shell is too narrow makes it less than ideal. There may be no perfect trials helmet for me, the Airoh has been the best so far. For the weight weenies out there, the Airoh weighed 910gr in an XL, the Hebo Zone 4 carbon weighed 950gr.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  19. trials935

trials935 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently got an Airoh also, way too tight on my ears, did some sculpting in the ear area and some on the back top interior, pretty happy with it now.
    edgerat likes this.
  20. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Well I have to agree that there doesn't seem to be a really good helmet for the long oval heads as both my Airoh and Hebo don't fit as well as I had wanted. Though I did find the Hebo Zone 4 the better of the two for me and tend to go for it over the Airoh most days.

Good luck and I would be interested to hear what you end up going with.