Help 2010 800gs problems again!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Stefan1986, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys posting again looking for some more help with my 2010 f800gs. Everyone was super helpful last time and I’m really hoping to find a resolution as my problems are back and far worse than before.
    Back story....I bought the bike about a month ago to replace my trusty KLR. At first the GS was everything I had hoped it would be, way more powerful, comfortable, less vibration, cooler looking and modern. Am still super excited to take it on a trip down to San Diego, if I can get it running right and the border ever reopens(I’m Canadian). A week into my ownership it started acting up stalling all the time and running very rough below 4000 rpm. I use the bike for commuting as well So I had to get it fixed as quickly as possible which I thought I’d done up until a few days ago.....
    In my previous post I had replaced the fuel pump and filter, cleaned the idle air valve, bought some techron, tested the battery and stator and did the “ballectomy” as suggested by you helpful folk. Anyways bike ran great for about a week until I got down to about half a tank of fuel and then started acting weird again on my way to pick up a valve cover gasket(small leak). When I left the bike shop, the bike wouldn’t start. Cranked perfectly fine. I sat there for about 5 minutes trying until it finally fired up. I raced home fearing it would die on me and made it no problem but bike was hesitant and lacked power. Fast forward to today, I tore into it to replace valve cover gasket and check the clearances. All was well within spec and the job went quickly. I was hoping I’d see something obvious that was causing the stalling/hesitation/no start but no. I triple checked my work, put the bike back together and hit the starter. It fired then stalled, wouldn’t idle and ran horribly.
    I’m at a loss, I don’t know where to go from here. I had to take a break because I got frustrated and started to regret selling the KLR for the GS. It must be something simple. I can’t hear the fuel pump(am I supposed to on this bike?) could it be the fuel pump controller? Mine is black, my understanding is that is the new style that doesn’t fail? I’m pretty mechanically inclined and I have never had a dealer look at any of my bikes but I don’t know where to go from here. Thoughts? Thank you all in advance
  2. Pilotuh1b

Pilotuh1b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, from recollection when you turn the key with the kill switch to run the fuel pump should prime. Or with the key on flick the kill switch to run whichever way you choose to initiate powering the system. Only thing is the cluster will be doing it’s self check biz too so take the seat off and listen down there.

I think.
  3. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Ok, you’ll have to “checklist” this. I haven’t encountered this on my GS but I did have something similar on my WR.

You have spark (as evidenced by it running for a few seconds and dying). And you have fuel. The question is: is the GS getting enough fuel to the spark.

On my WR, I tested the fuel injectors, cleaned the fuel rail, chased all the hoses, replaced the Fuel pump, replaced the injectors, replaced the spark plugs, changed the fuel filter...nada.

On my WR, there is a fuel pressure regulator. I suspect there is one on the GS as well - it controls the amount of fuel pressure in the manifold. In my case, the fuel pressure regulator went bad and not enough fuel was making it through the fuel injector and to the spark plug.. The bike would start...and die almost immediately. Crack the throttle and it would sputter and die.

The tip off was that the bike would actually start and run on a can of Ether/Starting fluid sprayed into the air box. Keep the spray on and the bike would run and rev.

I changed the fuel regulator and bingo, everything worked again. The Fuel regulator on my WR was this little aluminum canister about 3/4” of an inch by 3/4” attached to the fuel pump assembly. Which, of course, is in the gas tank.

Now, that was my WR. I’m not sure on the GS. But from what your describing, that’s where I’d start and how I’d go about chasing it.
  4. =o&o>

=o&o> I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer:
    When the fuel pump failed on my 2009 (under warranty), they also replaced the injectors. They said the pump sheds metal particles (blamed on E-10 with too high ethanol content) which then clog the injectors. Make sure the new fuel pump is working first? Verify fuel pressure readings at the fuel rail?
  5. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You probably won't hear the pump run. Even if you hear it, at this point I'd want to see what pressure it was developing, this has the symptoms of low pressure/no pressure.
    =o&o> likes this.
  6. mistermouse

mistermouse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Might be worth checking more crap hasn’t blocked the filter.
  7. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll dive back into it after work and post my findings. At least I can ride my wife’s xt225 to work for the time being!
  8. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 800GS - had a similar issue last year with starting. It seamed like a fuel issue, stick a multi - meter on the battery make sure have 12.1 v at least now hit the starter while watching the meter check the voltage drop if goes below 10 v or less. If drops that low you might have a bad battery or issue with charging system or bad wiring.

When the voltage drops that low engine controller may or may not function correctly due low voltage, its like a brain fart. Low voltage messes with the controller I have same issues with other vehicles whether it was bikes or trucks with modern electronics

At 2000 rpm your charging system will be 13.8 if its a stock system and 14.5 if its been upgraded to a Mosfet regulator
    dpike likes this.
  9. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I always heard my fuel pump.
  10. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought I did too, went down to the bike before posting, pulled the seat and stuck my hand / ear on the pump and listened through 20 key cycles and the noise I hear is coming from the front of the bike somewhere, not the area of the pump itself. I was all ready to post that you can hear the pump, had to change that up.
  11. scarygary

scarygary Drawing blanks

Oddometer:
    Could be so many things. Vacuum lines to the tank? Dirty/bad connectors? Bad sensors, dirty or faulty injector, ECU problems. GS-911 might help narrow it down.
  12. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys finally got around to a little diagnostic work. Still no solution. Starts, won’t idle. Stalls. Hesitant through rpm, completely unrideable as is. Things I know for sure are good:
    -fuel pump and filter brand new, bypassed fpc with jumpers, no change and can hear faint hum of pump with cycling the key.
    -fully charged battery with solid connections, turns over perfect 12.75v. Can’t measure running because it won’t run long enough
    -tore the bodywork and air duct back down to quadruple check my connections, all was good.
    -cleaned ISV previously, checked it, still good.
    -checked for restrictions in air box, none
    -checked spark plugs when doing valve cover gasket and clearance check, they’re good so are the valves
    -checked all hoses and previously performed “ballectomy” on check valve
    -techron was used in tank prior to this and full tank of fuel present

So, here I am still no running bike. My next step is to t in a fuel pressure gauge at the rail. Asides from that and the scan tool(GS-911) I’m completely out of ideas. Anyone in Calgary Alberta with a GS-911? I’ll buy you a case of beer. Any more ideas? Thanks everyone, gotta get this bike going. Summer is too short up here.
  13. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pump can run without producing enough/sufficient pressure. I've been fooled before with this and the gauge showed the issue. In that case it was a GMC gas engine that was only down in fuel pressure about 10 psi. New pump immediately solved the issue and it never missed another beat.
    Service manual for the f800 GS engine says 3.5 Bar, +.5 or -.5.
    So, 3 to 4 Bar or;
    3.5 Bar = 50.8 PSI = normal
    3.0 Bar = 43.5 PSI = low end of range
    4.0 Bar = 58 PSI = high end of range
  14. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    @Stefan1986 maybe ask about gs911 in Calgary section of Canada forum.
  15. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    vacuum hoses on the underside of the airbox connected and the fitting is intact ? that's a pretty common failure point.
    The Maz likes this.
  16. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok guys posted in the Calgary section for a GS911. Hopefully someone has one.
    Fuel pressure dead on 50psi. Back flushed fuel filter. Checked ALL hoses and connections again. Still runs awful. Won’t idle. Stalls. How on earth can I trust a bike like this to go around the world. Really missing the KLR. I’ve got 4 rides total on the GS.
  17. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Research bad coil issues here, iirc I've read some threads like this with mysterious conditions and it ended up being bad coil(s). Not saying run out and buy a new pair of coils but check out some of the other threads and see if things sound similar.
  18. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Stefan, any bike can have a problem, especially one that’s 10 years old. Stuff just wears out over time. A buddy of mine had a bike that dropped a valve and basically ate the motor.

You mentioned that you checked the pressure...bang on at 50? Honestly, that seems low to me...I seem to recall it being much higher even on my WR250r, 110PSI I think...but then, I haven’t looked up the F8 spec.

I’m still thinking it’s one of three things:
    1. Fuel injector - have you tested it and does it spray in a fine mist?
    2. Fuel pressure regulator - that’s what failed on my WR...
    3. Fuel pump - well, if the fuel injector is spray a nice fine mist, probably not that.

Did you try the trick with starter fluid in the air box yet?
  19. Burgs96

Burgs96 n00b

Oddometer:
    My son's 2014 F800GS was randomly cutting out/stalling at low speed (<2500rpm). The problem was experienced in a day I was riding the bike - the engine was running very rough at idle and occasionally cut out completely. While idling roughly, thumb pressure was applied to the throttle position sensor and the engine immediately ran smoothly. For a temporary repair, a small strap was made (from a 12mm wide piece of SS 'bandit' strap) to fit across the TPS and secured by the TPS securing screws. Over the next week the bike completed a 3,000+km trip with no issues. It is likely that there was/is a contact issue inside the TPS that may have been a result of deep water crossings.
  20. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you still fighting with this? PM me and I can mail you my GS911 if you think it will help you solve it.
    shuswap1 likes this.