Help 2010 800gs problems again!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Stefan1986, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys spec for the GS fuel pressure is 50.8 according to another member. I did try putting pressure on the tps. I haven’t misted the air box yet but will try on Wednesday, my next day off. I member from Calgary is coming then with a GS-911 to help me out. Thanks everyone. I’ll be sure to update if we can pin point the problem. This site has been so helpful already
  2. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a few questions I just thought of.

Will the GS-911 show a misfire? Just in case it is a coil?
    Can the TPS be reset?

Wouldn’t I have a check engine light if either of those were the issues?

I’m still suspecting fuel at this point, can I remove the injectors and place them in a jar and see the spray pattern?

thanks guys!
  3. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check engine light doesn't always indicate a malfunction, my F7 quit on a bumpy hill climb, restarted, but very slowly and missed a bit for 1-2 min. I am a little embarrassed to admit that it was battery terminals that had loosened themselves. The engine light never flickered at all.
  5. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everyone here is awesome!

I have tried the TPS relearn several times however I was not aware of the key off for 15 seconds part. I will be sure to try this.

When I get back into it on Wednesday, I will post my/our findings. Looking forward to having a working bike again and hitting the road. I’m planning on a Calgary-Kamloops ride as soon as it’s fixed to visit a friend but if it gets sorted I’d like to commute on it for a week or so first to make sure the issues are ironed out. Unless of course the GS-911 comes up with something obvious.
  6. jpbp2005

jpbp2005 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 f8gs I replaced the timing chain and upon starting the bike it ran like crap. i stood behind it and it would start burning my eyes from gas flumes. Pulled it back apart and checked plugs and they looked good. Oh and before i changed the timing chain it ran good. anyway tore it back a part and changed the spark plugs. Now it runs great just got back from a 600 mile trip. oh and the bike only has 22000 miles. My 2011 f650gs would start and die as soon as you bump the throttle. changed the spark plugs and its fine now. Just my .02
  7. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone so here’s a bit of an update. Thanks very much to Bruce from Calgary for coming out with his GS-911. Although we couldn’t narrow down the problem we were able to get some data that I can post if anyone has any insight. Some strange fuel codes but I’ve got pressure within spec, a new pump and filter. Cleaned and seafoamed tank today. We bypassed the controller again, no change.
    So my cylinder number 2 exhaust is a great deal cooler than cylinder 1. Tried switching coils and it didn’t change. I’m beginning to think injector. Anyone have a test for those?
    Anyways here are the two codes, I can forward the entire scan to anyone interested I just don’t know how to upload.
    So, some progress, but still no fix.

Attached Files:

8. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
  9. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it’s not an injector. I’m wondering if its a wire to a coil or injector. I’m completely lost at this point. Does anyone have the wiring diagrams they could send me? Thank you
  10. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    scarygary likes this.
  11. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much. I’ll dive back into it Saturday morning on my next day off. At this point I can think of anything else it might be.
  12. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So all the connections seem to be solid. Can I upload a video on here to show y’all how terrible it’s running? It’s almost like it jumped timing. I’m lost
  13. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also is there any information in the service manual about how to test ignition coils? Thanks
  14. OneEyedJack

OneEyedJack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stefan,

Having the exact same problem at the exact same time as you. It was the coil pack.

I had all of the same symptoms you described. Rough (probably only 1 cylinder firing) until 3500rpm, unable to idle or died when coming off throttle or pulling clutch in, popping/backfire occasionally and odd smelling exhaust. I noticed the cat glowing red after idling for awhile and knew I had a ignition problem.

Prior to fixing it, I did fuel pump checks, breather valve and hoses checked, TPS calibration, cleaned idle stabilizer valve, checked injectors, fuel pressure, secondary air valve, changed plugs and swapped the coils. Nothing seemed to changed. I used Motoscan to operate the injectors with the airbox removed and the spray patterns of both injectors where similar and they didn't leak when cycled off. So I said a Hail Mary and ordered two used coil packs just to test.

I have repaired/diagnosed bad coil sticks in a lot of cars. This bike fooled me. GS911 or a scan tool won't show misfires on this bike. No knock sensor to provide the info. The fact that the engine would clear up and run fine at higher RPMs didn't seem to me to be a bad coil problem but it was. I installed two used coil packs and bike is good as new.

As far as diagnosing the coil packs I can't really help. Pins 1 and 3 are the primary side. My meter is not calibrated but both coils read 4 ohms yesterday and around 14 ohms this morning. Probably temperature related and no idea what is an acceptable range. GS911 might show a code if the primary winding opened up or the wiring from the ecu to coil was bad but that was not my problem. To test the high side you need a meter with the diode test function which i don't have. Regardless, what may test ok on a bench might not be ok on a hot vibrating engine.

BTW, BG Powersports in Edmonton usually has a good selection of BMW parts. All F800, F700 variants, K1200 and K1300 bikes use the same coil packs.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  15. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OneEyedJack, thank you very much! It does sound like my exact issue. I’ll give BG a call in the morning and see if they can send some out to me. Hopefully they’re cheaper then the $210 CAD each Motorrad wants for them. I’ll be sure to post my results, searching through forum history a lot of people had similar problems but either didn’t post results or it turned out to be fuel related.
  16. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 used coils on the way from BG. Should be here Wednesday. Will let everyone know if it solves the problem.
    roookie1, The Maz and Bayner like this.
  17. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Did they treat you good?
    Like I said they are great to deal with.
    I just use their ebay store to find what I want, then i phone them and deal with them personally.
    I usually get better prices and quick shipping.
  18. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes they were great. Hope it solves my problem. Will find out Wednesday anyways.
    The Maz likes this.
  19. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Hope so too.
    Good luck.
  20. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BG was great, coils arrived early. Unfortunately bike still runs horribly. Coils did nothing to improve the way it runs. I guess my next step is to tear it down and check the valve timing. I don’t know how or why the chain would have slipped but it runs so bad I don’t know what else it could be.