Help 2010 800gs problems again!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Stefan1986, Jul 6, 2020.

1. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you been able to isolate the issue to a single cylinder or is it common to both? Good diagnostics before teardown....after which it sometimes gets tough to isolate issues!
  2. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems to be common to both. At this point I don’t know how much more diagnoses I can put it but I’m open to any and all suggestions of course. I was thinking of just pulling valve cover and rolling it to TDC and checking the marks. Maybe some way some how the chain skipped a tooth when I was doing the valve inspection. However I don’t see how that could be possible if I never touched the tensioner or the valves, as they were in spec.
    So far I’ve:
    -checked valve clearance and put new gasket in
    -removed and bench tested injectors
    -removed and checked plugs
    -checked all hoses and connections 5x
    -had it scanned with a GS-911(all that came up were history fuel pump codes)
    -changed fuel pump and filter, cleaned tank added sea-foam and techron as recommended(this was my original problem...stalling)
    -checked battery and stator voltages
    -replaced both coils with known good ones

I don’t know when or what something went wrong. It runs like the timing is out and barely starts. Sometimes when it stalls it makes a metal on metal noise which is quite unsettling.
    I’ve have this bike for a month and got 4 days of problem free riding out of it. At this point all it’s got going for it is that it’s an expensive driveway ornament. I’ll have fix it somehow because it won’t get sold like this but I’m thinking this will be my first and last BMW. I’d happily return to my KLR dinosaur any day if I could rewind the clocks. Not worth the headache. Rant over thanks. Haha
  3. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have faith, dont give up. All bikes have issues and the coils are on the low end of frequency if that's what it ends up being. I've only read about it a handful of times. You dont know if the PO used power washer all the time or maybe did something else that might have contributed to it.

Once this is sorted, you will see what awesome bikes they are. Most of the normal maintenance issues dont usually start up until 30-50k miles from what I've seen. You may have hit the lottery odds your coils went out early but it's not likely going to be a platform that is just one issue after another either.

All used bikes are going to have some ghosts from the PO, mine had notched out steering and wheel bearings, a far more common issue and I was lucky enough to have a early 09 that had out of spec rear wheel bearing pocket and needed a trip to woody's for correction. Thankfully, mine was low miles enough to have been caught before it grenaded, but it was getting there...barely spun by hand at all. Then I also had the early model FPC and soft side stand...just more 09 issues.

It's all sorted now and I couldn't imagine a better bike for me and I'm thrilled to own her. Dont give up, you're almost there I bet.

I know you said you put additives in fuel but is it known good fuel? You said it started and ran fine for a bit after first tantrum but then it came back. That seems odd. I got a load of gas once that made my FJC 4x4 run like absolute crap once. Was able to settle it down by topping off constantly with fresh fuel until I diluted out the bad stuff enough. Other thing that I wonder about is O2 sensor, not sure I've ever heard of one failing on a GS though.
  4. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Timing marks are dead on. Could the computer be fried? Anyone ever heard of that on one of these bikes. Upon pulling it apart for the 8th time I did notice both spark plugs are wet with oil/fuel which leads me to think computer issues as I’ve literally checked everything else. Unless by chance BG sold me faulty coils, but I doubt it.
  5. Paulie M

Paulie M Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't the 911 scan pick that the EDU is fried? You might have to capitulate and make a trip to https://anderwerks.com/
  6. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i think you're getting too far from the problem. originally you questioned some vacuum lines.. did you get those sorted out ?
    i'd take a second look at the tps and the iac.
  7. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you 'reset all adaptives' when you had the GS911 hooked up? Or do you still have it there with the bike?
    You could also try running the bike without a lot of the ECU inputs connected. Things like the oxygen sensor and the fuel pressure sensor can make a bike do some crazy things sometimes. If you want to forward me the whole scan I can take a look at it over the next couple of days. Even better if you have a data log while it was running.
  8. jgreer916

jgreer916 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One other thought- and this occurs to me only because the I had a f650 that this happened to. That bike had the key slip/shear on the flywheel and that made it so the ignition timing was totally off as the flywheel pickup sensed at the wrong time.

-john
  9. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi John, thanks for the reply. Could you explain further? I’m still having trouble with the bike. I had to step aside from working on it for a few weeks as I was about to light it on fire. Anyone ever have any trouble with grounds? After all I’ve done, the spark plugs are wet when removed. Both of them. So either it’s getting too much fuel or it’s getting not enough spark. Both coils have been replaced and injectors tested. I’m at a total loss at this point. Ready to start trying things again. I almost think it’s electrical but battery and stator tested good. Please see my list of checks/replacements at the start of this thread. I don’t want to give up and take the bike in as I know I’m capable. I know some fresh eyes/perspectives could help however I don’t think there’s anything a shop can do that I can’t asides from charging me money. This ones really got me beat.
  10. jgreer916

jgreer916 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What happened on the 650 was the flywheel spun on the crank. This caused the ignition pickup to not read the flywheel sensor @ the correct time and thus the spark happened when the cylinders weren't charged.

Any chance that you have someone local with a 800 that you could swap parts with? I'm not that far but on the wrong side of the border.

Have you checked compression too?

-j
  11. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    For clarity you aren't speaking of the twin cylinder motor are you?
  12. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Someone on here chased gremlins on an F800 for a long while and went way, way down the rabbit hole. Finally they had the computer reflashed at the dealer and presto all was well.
  13. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys,

I’m going to look into the flywheel thing. Would make sense.
    I just downloaded Motoscan and I will be getting the adaptor cable and wifi dongle soon from amazon so I can hopefully reset adaptations myself and see if that helps anything.
    I unfortunately don’t know anyone locally who owns one to swap parts with. I could try posting again in the Calgary section.
    There’s a local shop here by the name of Anderwerks who have some solid reviews. Trouble is I’ve been told their turnaround time is a couple of months and by that time snow will be falling up here. I called them and it took 2 weeks for them to return my call.
    I know I can figure this out with time. I just don’t wanna throw money at any more unnecessary parts. Maybe the motoscan will give me some clues?

Stefan
  14. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Just hoping to revive this thread as my bike is still not running and I’m ready to have another go at it. The local shop here in Calgary is not returning my calls or emails and I’ve heard they’re super busy. I wanted to just drop it off and leave it with them at this point because I’m super frustrated but it looks like that isn’t an option. I might try a post on kijiji for a local BMW bike expert. Im really good with mechanics normally but this thing has me beat. I’m lost but anyways here’s a recap of what’s going on and everything I’ve done up until now.

Bike will start and die right away unless throttle is applied. When it is running, it runs very poorly to the point of being unrideable. Originally(when I first got the bike)the bike was stalling after warm but ran fine, I replaced the fuel pump and filter and had a week of problem free riding until one day it just wouldn’t start. Finally got it going but it runs as mentioned above.

So far I’ve:

-Tested battery and stator-good
    -Replaced fuel pump(quantum) and genuine maule kl315 fuel filter
    -brand new injectors Bosch
    -new spark plugs and coils
    -cleaned ISV
    -checked all electrical connections and hoses no less than 10x
    -fresh oil and filter
    -had a local guy with a GS911 come over and check for codes(just history fuel pump, nothing else)
    -checked fuel pressure with new pump(51psi) and bypassed controller(no change)
    -did the throttle relearn procedure at least 10x
    -cleaned air box and air filter.
    -pulled my hair out trying to think of anything else it could be
    -missed out on 2 months of riding boo hoo

Anyways still lost, bike still runs awful and I still have to look at my expensive mistake of a purchase every time I go outside. After all, I’ve only got to ride this thing for 2 weeks since I bought it. I have owned many vehicles that have had my stumped with difficult repairs but nothing that has taken me this long to figure out and fix. I’ve tried unplugging all the sensors with no change while running except the TPS. When I did and started the bike it revved right up to 5000rpm so I quickly shut it off. Does anyone have the procedure for testing it? Could the computer be fried? Asides from that I’m still stumped and have no other ideas. Do you?

Thanks for reading

Stefan
  15. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check this thread
    Rough idle / stalling after cold start after checking valve clearances on my 2015 F800GS
  16. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh that’s a good idea, I’ll check my throttle cable tonight after work, thank you!
    I forgot to mention that I had checked my valve clearances as well and everything was in spec.
  17. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    this seems to be the key to your problem.
    lateral_G likes this.
  18. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dpike....

One would think that is the key to my problem however and not mentioned above I have...

-removed new fuel pump and swapped old one back in, same issue, swapped new one in again
    -checked fuel pressure at the rail and it is within spec
    -replaced fuel filter and x2 brand new Bosch injectors
    -quadruple checked pump assembly connections, ground etc.
    -bypassed the controller to see if that changed anything(didn’t)

At this point I think(hope) it’s not fuel pump related and I’ve ruled that out, unless I’m missing something.
  19. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know I sound way too simplistic but did you check the intake manifolds and idle hoses for cracks?
  20. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi yaycep

I did check the hoses and manifold for cracks and found none. I did have to clean up a mess from an over oiled k and n air filter from the PO. When I get the bike running I’ll swap it back to a factory filter.
    I checked the throttle bodies last night and it appears like they’re seated fully closed and the cable is not pulling on them at all.
    Tonight I might try in plugging the computer and checking connections there. I’m really grasping at straws here.