1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Help 2010 800gs problems again!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Stefan1986, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Woo hoo! Problem finally solved! Thank you so much to everyone who helped!
    After all that and no bike for a month. Duitser had the solution which I only noticed after having a second look at the throttle assembly tonight after work. The cable was pulling ever so slightly on the cam and it wasn’t resting on the stop. I think this was confusing the TPS. I ended up loosening it up at the handlebar end. Thank god, finally have a bike back! Hopefully this helps anyone in a similar situation. Thanks again guys, now I can enjoy this bike as it was meant to be.
    scarygary, lithodave and ROMAD like this.
  2. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You gotta be shitting me, after all this and it was a tight throttle cable? Glad you found it, you could probably write a book on troubleshooting the F800GS now.

Go ride and enjoy!
    lateral_G and Stefan1986 like this.
  3. mikegcoleman

mikegcoleman n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I read this thread like a great suspense novel, hanging on every post. So stoked to see a resolution.
  4. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha lessons have been learned. At least my bike got a full tune up in the process and I now have some spares. Who would have thought 1mm of space between the stopper would have caused so many problems.
  5. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost dreaded reading this thread, having nothing useful to add and feeling your angst. Who would have thought? Hang onto the parts, having them sitting on a nearby shelf almost guarantees you'll never ever need them. I've made this standard practice and its paid off nicely in the reliability dept.
  6. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I had a vexing issue with front brakes that wouldn't release. Took me forever (months) Replaced, rebuilt, lubed, tuned, flushed everything several times over. The fix? My aftermarket brake lever geometry was slightly off and needed to adjust the verboten red loctite adjustment screw to change the relief adjustment. Shit happens.
  7. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap:rofl
    Stefan1986 likes this.
  8. lateral_G

lateral_G n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm happy you were able to resolve the issue. I had been dealing with an idle issue on my 2010 F800ST for about 2-3 months also. Swapped the TPS, ignition coils, spark plugs, cleaned the Idle Motor, and nothing changed. Then, I checked for codes on Motoscan, cleared a few old ones (related to fuel pump and idle motor) and it's much better now. Seems like our experiences validate the Occam's Razor, to some extent.

Anyway, I had a question, Stefan - are fuel injectors so easily swappable? I never looked into them on my troubleshooting journey, but I used to work at Bosch India (albeit in Diesel Systems) several years ago, and my understanding was that there are some injector-specific codes that need to be entered into the ECU that compensate for their manufacturing tolerances. Although, I guess the same could be said for other things, like spark plugs and ignition coils, so maybe the ECU can adjust over time using the lambda sensors.
  9. Stefan1986

Stefan1986 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi lateral_G

From what I’ve read/learned over the course of trying to repair my issue it would seem only a throttle body synchronization is required when swapping injectors. I could of course be mistaken. On the GS, as far as I know, the procedure is to fully open and close the throttle for 5 seconds with the key on and repeat 4-5 times. Then switch the key off and back on. People have also told me to “reset adaptations” on the GS-911. Some say removing the battery terminal for 3-5 mins also accomplished the reset but I’m unsure if that’s true.