Help a brother not get eaten in bear country

Discussion in 'Americas' started by f800kris, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Bigguy136

Bigguy136 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been remote camping for many years. Typically in Alaska and Canada. In all of my RR postings, I always have a bear box. If you look close, there is a plastic bag next to my bear box. Being on the road for 3+ weeks, my bear box didn't hold enough food so I had my extras that didn't fit in bear box is in a bag next to it. In a plastic bag, I had nuts, protein bars and oatmeal. Never had even a squirl bothered it. I always remote camp. Maybe camp grounds would be different being bears know there is always food there. And yes, in 2019 coming back from Prudhoe Bay, I had a bear cut my tent as I was sleeping. I had my open bag of food there and it was never touched it. Bears will be curious. If it was after food, there was plenty 50 feet away.
    Yes, bears want food, I'm just not convinced i will get killed in the middle of the night because a bear smelled my toothpaste.
    jazzer likes this.
  2. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you aren't camping nor hiking you don't need it.

Camping food odors attracting foraging/curious bears and surprising bears while hiking/hunting account for almost all bear encounters.
  3. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I rode through Yellowstone last July and some knucklehead stopped his truck in the middle of the road along with a dozen other cars all because someone said they saw a bear. Being on a motorcycle and stuck behind a row of cars I thought I was pretty vulnerable if there was a bear and it decided to make a meal of me.
    Mumbles24 likes this.
  4. Lost in the world

Lost in the world Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been there. Done that !
  5. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    The bears in Yellowstone that are seen alongside the roads causing traffic jams are fairly docile and don’t see you as a threat and basically ignore the gawkers. Now if a gawker approached the bear that is a different kettle of fish.

The bears are not like sharks that would attack a group of swimmers to eat an easy target.
    Lost in the world likes this.
  6. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a common misperception that gets repeated far too often. In fact, the vast majority of recorded fatal bear attacks on humans are with black bears.

No one should underestimate black bears, or operate under the assumption that they are “pretty harmless.” They need to be shown the same respect as other bears. Most encounters with them transpire uneventfully, but the situation can turn for the worse very quickly. Keep your guard up.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had that happen a few times in Yellowstone, for bear and bison. I do not want to be stopped, in close proximity to either. I use the opposite lane or the shoulder of the road to get out of there, ASAP. One time, I had a car actively block me from going around because they were trying to get a pic and did not want me to scare it away. Luckily, motorcycles are much more maneuverable and the the shoulder of the road allowed room to get out of there.
  8. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This guy survived a grizzly bear attack, so I think his comments during the interview portion are helpful. The 2nd half of the video is instructional. Yes it is.
    ZoomerP likes this.
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I always carry it either on the sternum strap of a hydration pack or if not wearing that, I have it on my tank bag where I can easily reach it. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. But I live there half the year and carry it many times. The best deal I have found is at the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone. They sell it at cost (around $30 last I checked) to encourage bear spray use in the event of an aggressive bear encounter rather than a firearm. You can go into the shop without paying for admission. I've read that if you go to airports in bear country you may be able to get some used bear spray as hikers/campers/fisherman can't fly with it and have to leave it at the airport if they still have it with them.
    ADV Wanderer likes this.
  10. Lost in the world

Oddometer:
    Just in the news, a griz killed a mountain biker in his camp in Montana.
  11. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
  12. ADV Wanderer

ADV Wanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This just happened. These guys were up on Mt Wilson to watch the fireworks over LA when a juvenile bear came out of the brush and bit the dude in the red shirt on his butt.
    The bear was after their food.

jonz and Timmy Tucker like this.
  13. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    A fellow from my neighborhood was picking blue berries just outside of town last year. He was attacked and killed by a black bear. My next door neighbour was a pallbearer at his funeral. The attacks do happen, there is a risk.

I've just spoken to a lot of people not from bear country and the first thing they think of when I tell them where I'm from is "are you worried about bears?"

To me, it's like asking someone from Oklahoma is they're worried about tornados. Ironically, two fellows from Oklahoma were killed by a tornado just outside of town about 5 years ago. Statistically, where I live (bear country), you're more likely to be killed by a tornado than a bear... From my knowledge and experience, I am and should be far more concerned about dying in a crash - and that is after ensuring i'm ATGATT (hi viz).
    Vark likes this.
  14. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    And the guy who got bit on the ass stayed to watch the fireworks!
    ADV Wanderer likes this.
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Some additional information about this attack:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/grizzly-bear-attack-montana-leah-davis-lokan-killed/

Of particular note: Lokan was killed on the bear's second visit to the site where she and two fellow bicyclists were camping near the post office, officials said. The approximately 400-pound grizzly first awakened the campers about 3 a.m., officials said. They took food out of their tents, secured it and went back to sleep, they said.

Food in your tent, isn't that like ringing the dinner bell?
    trumpet and Vark like this.
  16. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't want to make light of the tragedy, but it's ironic that the person who was killed came to Montana from the state that put the Grizzly on it's flag, and drove them to extinction.
  17. Vark

Vark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regardless where you store YOUR food, as far as a bear is concerned there is always “food in your tent.” You ring the dinner bell when you fall asleep.
  18. airjammer

airjammer Western USA

Oddometer:
    Bear spray works and if you feel compelled to carry a sidearm - don't forget to file off the end sight before you leave home.

Situational awareness
    is the best defense if you are camping or hiking in bear country.
    Be aware of where you set up camp
    Be noisy when camping or hiking alone in bear country.
    Clap your hands, yodel, yell out "hey Bear" periodically.
    Let them know you are around and 99.9999 % of the time, they will avoid you.
    Don't be a sloppy camper, don't keep food in your tent.
    Bears will use well used trails, watch for sign.

Understand that Bears are opportunists and foragers.
    They don't see humans as food. Rather, more as a "source" of food, if conditioned so. .. t Urban Interface into habitat-Highly used camping areas-people throwing food at them from their cars. etc.
    In the Spring they are grumpy and hungry.
    In the Summer and Fall, all they do is look for food to fatten up and prepare for the Winter. And [email protected]#k.
    A sow will defend her cubs if she feels they are threatened; Christ, any bear could turn on you if startled, or has defend a food source.
    ahung12 likes this.
  19. Lost in the world

Oddometer:
    I used to guide bear hunters in Northern Saskatchewan in a different life. I spent lots of time in close contact with some rather large black bears and grew to respect but not fear their kind. Yeah, once in awhile you got the odd critter with an attitude but the vast majority would run like the wind at the whiff of a human. These are wilderness bears, not Yogi and BooBoo of the campground variety who look at humans as a lunch bucket. Not to go all CSM, but I would much rather be in the middle of bear country than in most cities. Grizzles, well that is another story, but much less common than the black bear variety. As I used to tell my hunters, they only eat a little bit of you, bury the rest in leaves to come back later, so what's the issue? Most didn't find it funny....
    Cheshire, Natgeo14, jonz and 2 others like this.
  20. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is an easy fix. Travel with someone who smells like bacon. Don't share a tent.
    Lost in the world likes this.