Help an idiot. 640 Adv carb question

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by scottcolbath, Mar 13, 2007.

1. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a long break from working on the bike, I started to toss things back together tonight. I got to the carb and can not for the life of me remember which hose goes where, of if an outlet needs to be blocked since I removed my evap hardware. I already plugged the air box so at least that is done.

But on with the carb. I circled a couple of things.

I believe the circled doodad on the left (the one on the carb body) is what was originally a connection to the evap system and that I should now block it. It's either that or an overflow, but I know the float overflow is on the bottom of the carb and is a very small hose compared to the fitting I mention now.

The red circled doodad on the right (on the slide cover), I am completely drawing a blank. I see no hose dangling, I somehow did not take thorough enough pics during disassembly to ID that item.

Any suggestions, besides cutting back on the Jack Daniels, are appreciated.
    [​IMG]

Also, what is that black plastic thing on the side of the carb that has a connector that plugs into it?

S.C.
  2. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
  3. rjf

Oddometer:
    The parts diagram shows a hose (part#81) coming of the lug in the side of the carb body

[​IMG]

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=460 bgColor=yellow border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=right width="25%" bgColor=orange>Year/Model:</TD><TD align=left width="75%" bgColor=gold>2003, 640 LC4 Adventure</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=right width="25%" bgColor=orange>Component:</TD><TD align=left width="75%" bgColor=gold>CARBURETOR MIKUNI BST40-266 640 LC4</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Item #:</TD><TD align=left bgColor=white>81 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Part Number:</TD><TD align=left bgColor=white>54435024001</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Description:</TD><TD align=left bgColor=white>HOSE ID 7,5 PER METER</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Retail:</TD><TD align=left bgColor=white>$23.17</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  4. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I had the same question but he beat me too it.

Mine is an 03 and all the smog stuff has been taken off the bike but several ports were left open to atmosphere. Wondering if somone can tell me where each of the lettered ports are supposed to go?

[​IMG]
  5. rjf

Oddometer:
    A - vented to atmosphere, via a filter.

B - a hose for the EPC connects there on the Euro, oz bikes. Should be blocked of on USA bikes. (and Euro /oz bikes if owners want best acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear)

c - Hose going to the airbox. (Maybe it goes to evap canister on USA bikes)
  6. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer:
    On "C", I was just going to leave this line open, under my seat sine I removed the evap system, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Should I toss one of those cute little filters on it like the other one?

Should I utilize the now unused/blocked off inlet to the air box?

Maybe some other option?

Comments?

S.C.
  7. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114485
  8. scottcolbath

scottcolbath Long timer

Oddometer: