Help buying bike in Johannesburg

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by MJH89, Feb 3, 2016.

1. MJH89

MJH89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm living in the UK, but have found a bike for sale in Johannesburg that I'm interested in buying. It's a BMW R80G/S. As much as I'd love to do a fly and ride my schedule won't allow it at this time.

I have been looking for one locally for some time now but haven't had any luck. They rarely come up for sale in the UK, and when they do they command a very premium price and are snapped up very quickly. I initially widened my search to continental Europe, but have run into the same problem. The bikes are sold by the time I call the seller, so I decided to widen my search internationally.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a reputable and trustworthy company or agent that can help facilitate the purchase in Johannesburg. Understandably, sellers typically aren't very comfortable completing a deal long distance exclusively over email and phone, and logistically it is a nightmare. So what I am ideally looking for is someone with at least some knowledge of motorcycles that can physically go examine the bike for me, collect it, and either store it for a week or two until I can arrange for it to be picked up by the shipping company, or drop it off at the shipping company.

If anyone knows of a company or of someone that fits what I'm looking for please get in touch either in this thread or email me directly at: michael . j . henning (at) gmail . com

Thanks for your help,

Mike
  2. m0lt3n

m0lt3n Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your surname sounds local?

I am in South Africa and would love to help,but dont stay in Jhb. Maybe you can make a post on the local adv biking forum where someone will be glad to help. its www.wilddog.za.net
    If you dont come right I can maybe ask a buddy to help, depending on where in Jhb the bike is.
    Also, maybe let me know what bike and what you are paying, I can imagine with the current exchange rate you can afford anything here...but I have a friend with the same kind of bike nearby, it may be a better deal to speak with him, as we are all facing the iron ore market-retrenchments at the moment.
  3. MJH89

MJH89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    m0lt3n I sent you a private message.

I have lots of very distant family in South Africa. Unfortunately so distant that we don't have any contact. Shame really.

Thanks for pointing me to www.wilddog.za.net. I'll give that a try.
  4. croppa

croppa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike, I still have friends and family in SA. Let me know if you came right or are still looking. I might be able to help.
  5. MJH89

MJH89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    croppa,

Thanks for the offer. I managed to get everything sorted.
  6. scalpel

scalpel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MJH89 how difficult is it to buy a bike in SA and export to the UK?
  7. MJH89

MJH89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The deal I was trying to make fell through at the last minute, but that was mostly because the seller had second thoughts. So I haven't actually imported a bike from SA. But I did do a lot of research and made a lot of phone calls with respect to the process.

I think the bottom line is that it's doable if the seller and buyer are on board and willing to work together regarding shipping arrangements, crating the bike, export paperwork, etc. It's not difficult to import a bike from SA to the UK, but it can be expensive.

Shipping by sea you are looking at about £1100 or R 24,000 including the cost of crating and customs clearance paperwork. But you can count on there always being extra fees added on at the end (like un-crating fees, crate disposal, examination fees, storage, etc.) that will easily total an additional £400 or R 8,000.

Insurance while in transit can be had for a cost of about 1.8% of the total value of the bike.

Tax payable on a bike imported from SA is 20% and duty is 6% of the value.

Depending on the bike you could potentially try declaring it as "classic vehicle" which would then qualify for no import duty and a reduced tax of only 5%. There have been some recent court cases regarding this. It's a complicated area that the tax authorities are reluctant to accept, but could be worth a shot. If you are considering going this route let me know and I can send you more information.

Once the bike is in the UK and all of the required taxes and duty have been paid it is relatively easy to register provided that the bike is over 10 years old. All you need is the registration paperwork from the country of origin showing the date of manufacture, or alternatively an official letter or certificate from the manufacturer showing the same.

It would have to pass a roadworthiness inspection which costs approximately £30 or R 650.

The fee for registering it is £55 or R 1,100.

When registering it you need to pay at least 6 months road tax which is about £50 or R 1,000

You need to have a licence plate made up which is about £15 or R 350.

So, if everything goes smoothly you are looking at fixed costs of about £1600 (R 35,000) plus an additional approx. 28% of the bikes value in taxes, duty, and insurance.

Alternatively, you could try importing it "temporarily" for your own use into another EU country and then bring it into the UK and claim that you bought it within the EU (you would need a bill of sale corroborating this) which would then make it exempt from tax and duty. But there are other logistical headaches that this would create, not to mention that this would be considered illegal...

If you have any specific question send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer them.

P.S. If you are considering selling the Kalahari that you were discussing over in the airheads section of this forum I may be interested in purchasing it. Especially if you are willing to co-ordinate with me regarding the shipping and export. Send me a PM and we can talk.

-Mike