Help EVIL and company plan a TAT ride.......

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EVILONE, Feb 14, 2008.

1. EVILONE

EVILONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    O.K.I have seen a lot of threads on TAT this and TAT that.I looked at a lot of them and didnt find the answers I was looking for,maybe a few of you can help?

I am going to "West Fest" this year.I am planning on running the TAT to get there.Im in NC,so Ill ride up to Tenn,and start there.How many days will it take to get from Tenn to Co?Now I know,some ride faster than others,and you might have problems along the way bla,bla,bla,bla..........but...........about how many miles on average can one expect to put down per day.I know some sections are faster than others,but Im just trying to get a feel for when I would need to leave to get to "West Fest".

Also,What kind of stuff would I need to take.I know I know,thats a loaded question,but I would like to camp to save money,but I would also like to take as little as possible,I hate to over pack.

So in short,any help would be greatly appreciated,thanks in advance.

EVIL:evil
  2. Brent4ADV

Brent4ADV Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer:
    I am currently planning a TAT trip for mid-late june for this year and it seems that TN can be easily completed in one day, MS is only a couple hundred miles, so figure being somewhere in the middle of arkansas the second day. The third day will put you somewhere in the beginning of OK. This state consists of about 750 miles so figure 2 days there. Then NM is a pretty short stint and then your in CO. That's the way I figure it anyway (disregarding any trouble you may encounter).
  3. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to ride thru OK, NM and part of CO (to Salida) in July. Unless you're into 'stealth' camping, there are very few campgrounds along or near the Trail (in those states), as far as I can tell. Cheap hotels, however, seem to be plentiful. I do not plan to bring camping gear (tent, sleeping bag/pad) but will have a few 'emergency' items in case I need to spend a night under the stars. If you have a one-man tent, you may want to pack that for emergencies.

As for time frame, I plan to take a week to ride from the AR/OK border to Evergreen CO. However, I am purposely going to take it easy. I believe Gaspipe and Big Dog rode thru OK in 2 days with nightly stops in Newkirk & Boise City.

HTH - Dave.
  4. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    A "fast" pace will be about 400 miles per day. When I say fast, I mean a full day on the road (10-12 hrs) with the usual photo, rest, meal, and gas stops.

Camping is pretty scarce along the route in TN. Camping is within range of the route for most of the rest of the eastern route to CO. A good way to locate potential camping spots is to trace the route into DeLorme Gazetteers. Camping spots are identified on the map, then you can look them up in the index to get more details. I made a matrix of miles and available camping/fuel so I could quickly make decisions about whether to ride on for a couple more hours or stop to make camp. Even though I could have camped some nights, I opted for a motel due to being too tired to mess with camping or because of weather issues.

When I run on my DRZ I take a small tent, lightweight sleeping bag, and a blow up air mattress. I usually don't haul food or cooking gear as there are plenty of cheap eats along the way. (When I run on the DL1000, I take more luxury items . . .).

Make sure you can handle flat tires.

Don Wright's Guides to Free Campgrounds (East and West) are pretty handy as they show cheap campsites including some that may not be visible in other sources (like municipal campgrounds).

Much more info to share, so if you have a question give a shout. Ride report for eastern TAT here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225458
  5. EVILONE

EVILONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys rule!:clap

Cannonshot,I read your thread when you first did that ride.Very informative,and a great report!

Thanks so much....keep it coming:D

EVIL:evil