Help finding primitive camping spots - Maggie valley/Whittier/Cherokee/Dillsboro area

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by E.O.T.D., Oct 11, 2019.

1. E.O.T.D.

E.O.T.D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Searched and could find info for this area.

Some friends and I will be riding through the mentioned area on a 4 day dual sport ride and I need some help on camping spots. The campground I was planning on stopping at closes the damn day before we get there. I've already planned the whole route so we will be stopping somewhere in this area for sure.

Would love to get coordinates for some primitive spots or at least private tent camping away from RV's. We prefer to be way back in the woods, not sleeping next to a bunch of RV's with gennies going all night long. No issue getting to harder spots as long as it's not technical single track. We're a little rowdy for most "campgrounds" with RV's but could tame it down if we had to for a night.

Anyone know of any primitive spots or nice places to tent camp around this area? Needs to be anywhere east of Whittier, North of Dillsboro, or between/ around Maggie valley or Cherokee.
  2. oic

oic Business is ALWAYS personal

Oddometer:
    https://moonshinecreek.com/

We have stayed here many times, always a good experience,
  3. treebumper

treebumper Macro Trav

Oddometer:
  4. NorthBayPete

NorthBayPete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Nice place but far from primitive! and usually packed with RVs and Family type campers.

There are a few places just south of Whittier along Conleys Creek Rd that you can stealth camp for a nite or two. If you're out during the week, Mile High CG is 15 minutes from Maggie and should be able to accommodate your group. Might be busy on the weekends so reserve a spot if you want to stay there.

Great views from MHCG... IMG_0383.JPG

Dang! Didn't think they were closing up for the season so soon.
    E.O.T.D. likes this.
  6. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Southeast of Dillsboro is Moses Creek Rd... might be some stealthy spots in there if the gate is open.
    oic likes this.
  7. oic

oic Business is ALWAYS personal

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was thinking more of the location than the primitive part. I generally don't plan ahead too much and I have gotten a last minute tent spot there.
  8. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    It's also in a great location... close to restaurants, Walmart and gas. 5 minutes from the Parkway and a reasonable ride to 276/215, The Gap or 28.
    oic likes this.
  9. E.O.T.D.

Oddometer:
    Love that place, that's where we were planning on staying but they close the DAY BEFORE we are going through.
  10. E.O.T.D.

Oddometer:
    Mile high is closed for season. Guess thats what we get for taking a camping / riding trip in Nov!
  11. E.O.T.D.

Oddometer:
    I think we'll either change the route a little or just head into the forest and look for a flat spot to disperse camp big enough for everyone. After planning this whole trip and everyone getting their schedules in order I realized that most of the high-altitude and nice campgrounds close on Nov 1st. Thanks for the replies. Now if this southeast not-fall weather will just hold out for another week or two we'll be good!
    oic likes this.
  12. OzarkDave

OzarkDave Army Veteran

Oddometer:
    Sunburst Campground usfs on 215
  13. Merckx the Cannibal

Merckx the Cannibal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  14. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two spots that come to mind are up as long the Gravel Cherohala or along North Mills Rivers road off the BRP. Both have official camping spots that have tables, fire rings, and maybe privies...and they are free...
  15. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    I rode thru MHCG on Monday and saw a couple tents up. The shower house was boarded up and a gate blocked the southern point. Maybe they allow some primitive camping? No shitters or trash disposal might be a problem.
  16. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another spot is Tsali campground of Rt 28 a few miles from Rt 19a few miles South of Bryson City.
    BaldKnob likes this.