1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Help get my favourite cousin from Sacramento to St. Louis in one piece!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Hosebag, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Hosebag

Hosebag Difficult but Useful

Oddometer:
    Ok, here's the scenario (and reality)

Cousin Johnny (that's me) loans cousin Ian his copy of "The Long Way Round' DVD three weeks ago.

Adventure riding bug immediately bites cousin in the ass, cousin goes to Ebay and promptly buys an older GS in Sacramento. :huh

Cousin Ian being a 'just do it, whatever it takes' kind of guy, is jetting down to Sacramento Monday to check out the GS, load up and head out Tuesday morning on said GS to his proposed destination of St. Louis, Mo. where he'll hook up with buddy Paul and truck the bike back to Eastern Ontario or arrange to pick it up in the spring.

While I can give him some rudimentary mapping to get him going south/southeast out of Cali and away cross-country, what he needs is some help with route planning based on practical experience, taking into account current weather concerns.

If you in the community can send some practical advice this way, it would be graciously received and appreciated.
    I will pass on any and all relevant info and will recommend he sets himself up as an inmate.

2. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    This time of year I'd probably take I40 to OkCity then 44 up to St Louis.
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Go to www.weather.com

I don't know if he can far enough south during next week's weather. Butt cold...
  4. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1
    I was going to suggest St. Louis via South Texas, alot of frigid temps out there this week
  5. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    With the weather due this week, the I40 route may be very tricky through Arizona/New Mexico - if you run a GPS, the altitude of northern Arizona/New Mexico runs 5-6k feet, with 7k peaks. Southern New Mexico is around 4k with 5k peaks - southern Arizona is much lower - much better weather.

On two wheels this time of year, I would zip down to LA (avoiding the LA Basin is another topic, but non-rush hour should be fine), then take the 10 across to the 20, then up to St. Louis, where weather again may be a factor.

HTH!
    Paul
  6. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the window for 40 kind of slammed shut. Head for 8 to 10.
  7. fastblad

fastblad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i rode from miami to la 3 weeks ago, it was not that bad, the lowest was 11 degree, take the I10 and try to stay south,
  8. Hosebag

Oddometer:
    Thanks kindly for your input, very much appreciated.:clap

(So far) We've got him going south towards San Diego.

From San Diego east on Interstaes 8 & 10 towards Los Crucas, N.M.

From there, Interstate 20 towards Dallas/Ft. Worth

Then Interstate 30 to Little Rock, AK

Finally, hwy 67 to St. Louis.

This is the propsed routing, which may change as weather does and as he decides to run secondaries etc.

Look for him on a blue '91 R100 GS :vardy :vardy

thanks again!

Attached Files:

• GS.jpg
      GS.jpg
      File size:
      36.7 KB
      Views:
  9. r1dinman

r1dinman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope he has an electric linerand heated grips. It's damn cold in St. Louis right now. We had an inch of snow and ice last night. The roads are clear now, but a little more is expected Wednesday night. It should be in the 40s by the weekend.

Jay
  10. screwit

screwit One more time

Oddometer:
    '
    I'm in Las Cruces if he gets in a bind or needs a place to stay or tools. I have a 92 GS.
  11. Hosebag

Oddometer:
    Cousin Ian made it to St. Louis yesterday afternoon after about 50 hrs. total riding through snow, sleet, rain and fast food.

I think he's ready for an adventure ride that includes sun and temp's in the 60's...:1drink