Help getting OSMAND to play nicely with Furkot (for noobs)

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by the_machina, May 7, 2020.

1. the_machina

the_machina n00b

Oddometer:
    Inspired by the Kyocera and android navigation thread, I figured I'd map out some fun looking loops in WNC in Furkot, and then hopefully be able to use that work to get guidance / follow the route in OSMAND.

Where I'm at:
    I have a great looking loop out east of Asheville in Furkot. I can export it as a Track or as a Route, and then I can import that into OSMAND. First I tried it as a route and ended up with just straight lines between the POI and couldn't figure out how to get OSMAND to actually route me over all those beautiful roads. Then I tried importing it as a track and it looks great, I can show it on the map, and I can even have it navigate me over/through it (tried with a test loop close to home last night).

The issue: when having OSMAND navigate my test loop last night there was a small offshoot in the generated track (just a pop into a subdivision and then back out) and I rode past the offshoot/detour. But OSMAND kept trying to route me back to that section, even after I was back riding along the pre-planned track.

The questions:
    1) For a curvy road loop, should I be exporting a Track in Furkot or a Route?
    2) Once I have that export, how do I make OSMAND treat it best? (ex - continuing along the track if I missed a small section, or having the route snap to real roads)

Thank you!
    My planned loop for this weekend as inspiration is attached

Attached Files:

2. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    A ROUTE is for turn by turn instructions, and to allow the software to route you between the route or shaping points. It is not intended to be your actual desired path. If you want to follow a specific path, you need a track.
  3. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love that section of 197 north of Mount Mitchell.

Can you use a track, and turn off routing in OSMand and just follow the line?
    I went through something like this using CoPilot to follow the route. Whenever I missed a waypoint, which wasn't often luckily, I had to edit the route on the phone. Annoying.
    I found it helped me to break long routes up into smaller bits. So if you really mess up part A, you will soon be using part B anyway.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about Furkot. But I have created tracks using Garmin Basecamp and loaded them into Osmand. The only issue I remember was that if the gpx file had multiple tracks, Osmand seemed to combine them all into one track. (I may have later discovered there was a way around this, but don't remember.)

I had a lot better luck loading tracks into Locus.

I tried to navigate with routes for a couple of years after I got into GPS back in about 2000. Every time I tried it with complicated minor dirt road rides, something would go wrong. I have been using tracks ever since with no problem. I do use routes when driving cross country in my truck. But I think Google Maps works better than other nav apps for that.

There is a lot to be said for planning rides on a large screen. I think Furkot has fixed a lot of the issues and limitations it had when it first came out.

I actually often use both monitors on my desk top to plan trips. I have Basecamp open on one and a pdf map open on the other.
  5. the_machina

the_machina n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you to all of you on this one!

It sounds like the consensus advice is to export it as a track, show the track in OSMand, but not use any turn-by-turn guidance and instead just follow the line on screen. Is that correct?

Thanks!
  6. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep!