help i need any large screen gps

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land' started by mickd, Aug 30, 2017.

1. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a cheap OLD bastard who also need reading glasses. So here is what I did. I purchased a refurbished Garmin Nuvi 57LM. $70. I found a video on Youtube on how to waterproof the front screen. I put 3M tape over the MicroSD port and Speaker Port. Put dialetric grease in the USB port. So far it has survived a LOT of rain and off-road riding. But if it fails...it's only $70 to replace. The Nuvi series is designed for cars and only comes with a map that is primarily for driving on roads but the LM means lifetime maps for updates for the map it includes. But I downloaded road and topo maps for Garmin that also work in BaseCamp from https://www.openmapchest.org/ and http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/maps-garmin-fenix. These maps are routable. The Nuvi also sucks at just dumping in a GPX file for routing but I take my GPX files and run them through IMGfromGPX. It's free and creates a transparent map overlay so now you can see your regular map and then a line color of your choice. For multi-day trips I create a transparent map for each day. They are tiny at about 105KB per file. I have a 32GB micro-SD card in the Nuvi. I also use the free Garmin POI Loader to take any GPX waypoints I want to use and it adds them to the Nuvi so they are searchable and routable. I've been really really happy with the solution. At $70 for the GPS, $10 for a MicroSD card, adding a Cig charging port and a RAM mount added another $70 to the project. But for $150 it works AWESOME. Used it to route me on the Washington BDR, a 5 day loop up in Canada and many other trips. I've also already created all the POIs and maps for my ride next year up to Alaska. 30 day trip. This Nuvi has a 5" diag screen so about twice as big as your current one. The touch screen works just fine with gloves on. I don't need glasses to use it. Hope this helps a bit. Hit me up if you have any questions!

Joe
  3. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone here know if the lifeproof mini 4 Nuud case fit in the lifeproof mini cradle? Both of these items are just about impossible to find, but seem like the only good waterproof solution for mounting a mini 4.
  4. TwoUpTourer

TwoUpTourer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a photo of the set-up?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
  5. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't as I no longer have that GPS. Ended up going to a Zumo 595LM when I got my new bike. You can look on YouTube for the videos that show how to do the waterproofing.
  6. SaAdvRider99

SaAdvRider99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    get in touch with this guy.

7. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is a 7" screen Garmin dezl 760 trucking unit. With two pieces of good quality duct tape over the speaker port and data card port, and installed in the RAM mount for it, it's quite water resistant. If I know I will be riding in the rain all day, I'll put a clear plastic bag over it with a band around the bottom to hold it in place. Otherwise, I won't bother and it's done excellent. Survived a month long trip to Alaska where it rained about every other day w/o a mis-step or issue of any kind. It's been on the bike for 50k miles now in all terrain. I bought it as a refurbished unit for less than $250 USD. A far cry cheaper than a dedicated moto unit. The RAM mount shown has a built in sun screen. I also installed an anti-glare shield bought off ebay. This is mounted to my 2012 Super Tenere. Old pic, the GPS has run on another 35k miles now and still going strong, still getting updates from Garmin.

This unit does not support bluetooth to a moto comm like Sena, (which I use), but does have an audio out port. I plugged in a generic dongle to transmit to the Sena and it works a peach. The newer Garmin dezl 770 does support bluetooth to a moto device and is known to work/pair with a Sena. The 770 is a bit thicker unit, and RAM does now make a cradle/mount for it similar to the one shown here for the 760.

Both units can be set for auto, truck or RV mode. I have mine in auto mode. I tried truck mode, but did not find the height/weight warnings useful and everything else was about the same. If you set it up, it will route based on the size/weight of your rig. Not really an issue for a motorcycle! Easy to use, very similar to other Garmin units and the touch screen is glove friendly. The wife has a 550. Some features are different. No support for XM. The 760 does have a audio book feature though. That could possible be used in other ways. I have not explored that.

This is a very durable unit and easy to see and use. With a solid mount set up it does not vibrate much and I have had zero issues with it. Feel free to ask questions if you have them. Do not be concerned about using non-moto GPS units on your bike. Living behind a windscreen, it's not getting full on rain while riding. Not knowing what bike you ride or your specific needs, I'm simply showing you an option that has worked well for me.
  8. O Trader

O Trader Adventurer

Oddometer:

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 8. Its the robust waterproof shockproof industrial version of there 8" tablet even with a built in phone. Comes with 16gb + 64gb card so heaps of room for maps and music and photos etc. Fits into a purpose built RAM mounts. Best Ive ever used.
    Didado and Ksoutham like this.
  9. dsimmo

dsimmo Old Rocker

Oddometer:
    I have a Tom Tom 410, Sharp Speed R Crash Helmet with Cardo Earphones and a mic to talk in. Also it links to my iPhone 8. All set up with bluetooth so I just punch in the route in the tom tom and it tells me directions etc. Also can receive tel calls, my Honda has Datatool Adventure rider installed so if someone tries to nick it it automatically notifies my iphone and tracks it as well as Datatool automatically traces it.
    I wear glasses and there is slots in the crash helmet for my glasses arm so nice and comphy when riding.
    Hope that helps.
  10. Exit Tours

Exit Tours UYS

Oddometer:
    USE A TABLET or PHONE AS YOUR GPS UNIT

[​IMG]

• Can a tablet be used as a navigation device on a motorcycle?
    • Yes it can, but with some caveats.
    • While it may not be the perfect solution, it is indeed a solution…and a pretty economical one at that.
    • Screen size is just right, with lots of hi-res real estate for map and info displays available with less scrolling required compared to standard GPS devices.
    See This Page for the complete rundown on Navigation and Safety without cellular.

https://advtours.com/navigation-safety/

No Cell Connection Needed: Off-Line Motorcycle GPS

• This article entitled “Using a Tablet as a Motorcycle GPS” is pretty good.
    • It details how you can use a smartphone or a relatively inexpensive tablet as a widescreen GPS device on your motorcycle, saving hundreds of dollars off the cost of a dedicated Garmin or GPS unit.
    • In fact, the movement from dedicated GPS units to smartphone- or tablet-based GPS is picking up steam, although where it will all end is still to be determined.
  11. Steve 1

Steve 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wear progressive lens,27 different levels from top to bottom of lenses with no notice in the way they look.I need them to pass my DMV vision test.I teach open sight marksmanship so I need to see the rear ,front sight then acquire the target.As GPS units go this handlebar mount is weather resistant and have never seen it leak, from Amazon, Charger City .I have this screen to test my speedometer, it's about 10% off on the bike,GPS speed is dead on. [​IMG]
  12. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coming late to this party, I've been using the new Garmin 276Cx (not to be confused with the 276). Hands down the best screen that I have used.

Not a Moto unit, but from their Marine Chartplotter line. Waterproof, shockproof and all around great unit.

[​IMG]
  13. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding buddies been using a 7 inch screen Garmin for 8 years though I believe the current unit is no longer made. Not waterproof but has held up problem free and is a pressure sensitive screen so no prob. with any glove. I haven't seen it yet but somehow he seems to have found room for it on his New Multistrada S Touring. If we know were heading into serious rain hell un mount it otherwise a plastic ziplock over it and a rubber band works fine.
  14. Secundius

Secundius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    iPad mini 4, Google Maps and Dual XGPS-150A "Differential GPS" which can be Worn on you Arm or Wrist. About the size of a Wristwatch...
  15. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    A SlipGrip car mount will let you mount a tablet, with a case, into the Ram system.
  16. Secundius

Secundius Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sport's Pilot Shop, offers the "MyClip" Kneeboard Strap. Which you can either wear around your Knee, Thigh, or Gas Tank. Costs about $34.95 USD (i.e. P/N 6624A)...
  17. Hulluvatime

Hulluvatime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now why didn't I think of that!
  18. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    probably a garmin nuvi 2797 discontinued but still on garmin website 269 99
  19. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    A car GPS unit is just a handheld PC with a touchscreen and GPS receiver running Linux operating system and a software application and data maps. As it's dedicated it runs very fast as opposed to a GPS on an Android or Apple smartphone.

On a boat they are called chartplotters and have BIG screens from 4" to 16" and many are waterproof. New ones are not cheap but you can find second hand ones on eBay and Gumtree. You can load land based GPS maps as well as marine charts. I have seen these mounted in trucks for exactly the same reason.

I use a 7" truck GPS in my vehicle. Look on eBay for units bought in USA with USA maps. Tourists buy them for USA road trips and bring them home then sell them cheap as they do not have Australia maps. Not rocket science to fix that !

For motorcycle find a second hand 6" smartphone and dumb it down by removing all the bloatware and delete or disable as many apps as possible. I use the Navigator app which uses free OSM maps. Only drawback of course is rain unlike a waterproof Zumo.

My latest navigation tool is a Japanese Freetel Raijin smartphone with a 6000mah battery which receives the new Japanese JAXA GPS satellite constellation which orbits most of Australia. It is super fast and super accurate and perfect for motorcycle travel. (thanks Japanese tax payers !)

http://global.jaxa.jp/countdown/f18/special/faq_e.html
  20. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done this to the last 3 helmets I've had.

20/20

DSC02154a_resize.JPG
    PoleRbear, MichaelJ and Suncoaster like this.