help i need any large screen gps

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land' started by mickd, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Didado

Didado Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I also switched to the Tab Active 8. It doesn't get any better. I now have a zumo 590, tomtom 550 and a montana 680 laying around that I don't use anymore. I do not want to go back to a smaller screen :-) And the pen is also great for plotting tracks when camping etc.
  2. Bruce1

Bruce1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Late to the party here but for what it’s worth.......
    I have had glasses since grade 3. I use these solutions.

Transitions graduated focal point lenses with a Bell MX9 and Scott goggles for woods/motocross. Plenty of room for my glasses behind the goggles and room for the temples. My glasses fit normally and don’t push up my hose or hurt my ears.
    My transitions fitted with a magnetic sunglass clip on under a Bell MX9 ADV helmet for gravel burning. No fittment issues.
    My trusty transitions with an HJC FG17 for road riding. Magnetic clip on sun glasses. A bit tight but not uncomfortable.
    Graduated focal point safety glasses for carpentry. A pain in the ass because they can’t be coated so there is annoying glare. I don’t use them riding because they don’t have clip on sun glasses but they are great for stopping shit from getting in my eyes.
    Alternative graduated focal length lenses for reading a music stand and seeing a conductor. I am a professional musician. My normal glasses were optimized for reading a book, not music further away on a stand.
    These glasses have become a seamless prosthetic. At times I forget I’m wearing them. All of this hardware allows me to use any tool in my shop under almost any circumstance and read anything out there with minimal hassle.
  3. boscoman

boscoman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BMW Navigator V or Vl from Garmin was my solution to GPS that I couldn't read the screen due to size.

Attached Files:

4. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    I run an iPad mini on a Ram Mount. It has 128G and cellular capability, although I don't have a cellular plan. The cell versions come with a GPS receiver so I can use offline Google Maps. Very pleased with the capability. If you already have an iPad without cell capabilities, you can pick up a Bad Elf GPS receiver which will Bluetooth coordinates to the iPad.
    HighTechCoonass likes this.
  5. NDBoyd

NDBoyd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use it also on AT, snowmobile and Jeep. Uses same mount as Montana. Doesn't have touch screen so you can use it with gloves. Before you say "get touch screen capable gloves" reread the part about using it on my snowmobile.
  6. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorta. It uses the same Garmin mounts, but Touratech mounts are different - it's too wide to fit in the Touratech Montana mount, they have a specific mount for the 276Cx.

And yes, I tried.
  7. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    I pad mini with offline maps! I am surprised stand alone GPSs
    are still around.
    Vin likes this.
  8. akXbiker

akXbiker n00b

Oddometer:
    Had the same problem until I started using progressive glasses … have clear and sunglasses. Also use the Bluetooth function for directions as I don't want to focus or rely too much on looking at the screen while riding. Stay safe and have fun !!!
  9. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    You can make your own mount for a 7" tablet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ohgood likes this.
  10. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Because they do a lot more than just give you a route from point A to point B. Altitude changes, moving time vs. stopped time, average speed overall, average speed moving, the ability to download your track for use elsewhere. Those are a few reasons why stand alone units are still alive.

Not to mention water/dust/shock resistance.
  11. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    What app?
  12. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Osmand+ ... takes a little getting use to. I use Basecamp to change routes to tracks and transfer to the tablet.
  13. Sirby

Sirby Sertao

Oddometer:
    Will the display on the 276cx flip around 180 degrees? That would be nice to be able to get the control buttons over on the left side. Garmin should come up with an option like that if they haven't already.
    -Sirby
    Long time Garmin 276c and Monterra user.
  14. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    very robust and dependable mounts ,power and the ability to use free always up to date open maps.That day appears to be ending,I am having more and more trouble with loading the open maps onto my garmins
  15. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Yes it will. Unfortunately it's upside down. :evil

After years with a 276 and a 478 reaching across the screen is second nature to me now.

Plus the buttons would all be reversed, and I'd have decades of muscle memory to overcome.
    Vin likes this.
  16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if you're familiar with how much easier sharing has become since the coming of smartphones and tablets.... but here's the list of ways to share (import/export) tracks, waypoints, FULL MAPS, video/audio notes (attached to waypoints), geotagged pictures, kmz map overlays (created right on the device), screen shots, live tracking, nmea sentences, and every other data point a GPS can use:

Bluetooth (full Bluetooth, that doesn't require a propietary app and exact same model gps to receive)
    wifi (full wifi abilities, that doesn't require a propietary app and exact same model GPS receive)
    nfc (neato tap to send transfers)
    nfs
    afp (Apple devices)
    aft (Android devices, wired, for older non wifi/Bluetooth computers)
    ftp/ftps
    https (web browser)

and of course the old old ways like wired usb transfers, SD card swaps... they're slow and cumbersome, but it still works.

the ability to select between one track and several thousand tracks at once to share is really nice. not ever having to plug into a computer to do simple tasks like share 125 tracks or 20,000 waypoints at a time is really nice too.

Screenshot_2018-12-27-05-21-25.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-27-05-22-58.png

but the main reason, is how easy it is to STORE and organize all those tracks and waypoints. no computer needed:
    Screenshot_2018-12-27-05-42-25.png

oops I almost forgot... it's ip67 and 810 specd, so water and shocks aren't an issue.

not bad for a fifty dollar phone.
  17. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    I loved my Garmin because the series of finger punches became almost ingrained. My main gripe with a dedicated GPS is that I was buying a locked system. I had to buy new hardware every few years to get the latest features. There were occasional software updates, but they never added much new capability.

Using an iPad or other tablet there are always developers out there competing to bring the latest features and innovations. I like Revive and Strava, which were originally running (exercise) apps that compile and plot trip data.

For shock/vibration I now have an isolation mount. (My first Garmin lived happily in the truck, but died on my first long ride. My iPad just survived 5 months of abuse in South America.) When it starts raining I don't have an elegant solution - either a gallon sized zip lock or I put it in the tank bag and run off the Bluetooth audio.
  18. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Mine is IP rated also - but was not quite $50 (Galaxy Note 8).

My 276Cx and phone talk to each other, but what app did you use to get the data pictured above? I like the chart especially.
  19. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

those bored are incredible. the processing power loads all my maps/tracks in half a second. amazing. my old phones take 5-10 seconds to load all my maps n tracks.

locus map is the app. it's a steps learning curve, but if you're into gps stuff you're probably already used to that
  20. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Pricey, as apps go, but cheap as GPS stuff goes. It does speak to my inner nerd, though.