Help in cold foot

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by godzuki, Jun 25, 2019.

1. godzuki

godzuki live better speed more

Oddometer:
    I've lost 6th gear on my bike. All the others work I can still run 55 ish and get 40mpg so I am pretty sure I can make Fairbanks and maybe Tok.

Looking at any and all options to get the bike back home to South bend IN. I have a vehicle sitting in Missoula Mt.
    I'm going to see how much to ship it from up here to get it back home we'll see what the ktm dealer in Fairbanks says.
  2. Ullr

Ullr C+ Racing

Oddometer:
    Riding through Fairbanks and on to Tok on a broken bike is a decision you probably would regret.
  3. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a lot to go on, but this thread may have some additional information - none of the fixes described are trivial. You might want to consider getting the bike on a southbound truck now and flying out. Good luck, sorry to hear about the mechanical...
  4. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopefully Northern Power Sports in Fairbanks can help. If you decide to ship and bike can make the run to Anchorage, then I recommend Alaska Classic Motion for crating and they'll take care of the shipping. Contact info Krista Feece, Alaska Classic Motion, (907) 272-6863.
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  5. godzuki

Oddometer:
    Okay in fairbanks got to northern before they closed and wow the service there. 1 guy stayed over to help me and did a oul change. Found a few slivers of metal on the filter but found 4 equal length chunks of metal... im going to assume from my 6th gear in the rear mist screen .... well fck. But he probed the oil gallys with a long bendy magnet and found nothing else at all. Cleaned the screens and i stalled a new filter and oil. Im guessing those are all the missing teeth on 6th gear. So well see how far i can get. I know i already have to pull the motor and full tear down at this point.
  6. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did ya miss a couple shifts or what's up with that?

Have to hunt threads but it appears you are on a 1290 ktm
  7. Andrewmc

Andrewmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We ship bikes for people in situations like yours all the time. If you want to look into it you can call us at 907-561-1165 and we can see what it would cost to get it back south for you.
    thirsty 1 and 9Realms like this.
  8. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
    [​IMG]
  9. godzuki

Oddometer:
    Yes a ktm 1290 SAT. Found what appears to be 4 teeth from the rearward most screen filter looked decent. Rode to Chena hot springs today and seems good i am just not engaging 6th at all. So 45 to 65 mph and i am keeping at the 38 ish mpg mark. I am having one buddys wife head north on sunday and ill start making my way south till we meet.
  10. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good luck, hope all goes well as you limp her home.
    thirsty 1 and Dogslobber like this.
  11. godzuki

Oddometer:
    Actually things were awesome on the way home. I had so much fun. I did the top of the world even in the wet and had a blast. Then i met up with my buddies girl friend in watson lake loaded up. Dropped her off and went to Yellowstone then to needles hyway in SD which was cool but kinda a let down. Yellowstone was a wow and beartooth pass out of the NW corner of that park for me is one of the highlights. I missed out going to homer and the Stewart cassier hyway but over all i had one helluva great trip and i want to do it again.