Help me achieve perfection - WR450 twin Adv conversion

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by MotoPolo, Apr 22, 2016.

1. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time

Oddometer:
    I searched Hi an lo for a thread where someone stuffed a twin into a WR450 bike - couldn't find one

Seems to me that that conversion could achieve the dream Adv bike
    - Light (<350 lb)
    - not too tall (use off the shelf lowering mods - new non-MX seat)
    - still good suspension travel ( approx 9 in.)
    WRs have great suspension stock - a nice used WR would be a great platform to start with
    - new bolt on rear subframe for payload
    - twin cyl for comfortable slab riding when you just have to
    I did some show room tire kicking and it looks like the yamaha FZ07 engine might fit
    Specs say very flat torque curve from low to hi RPM
    75 HP, 700cc, 50MPG
    - extremely dirt capable - better than any true Adv bike currently available
    - good looking fairings - there are a ton of examples on this forum
    - all the Adv goodies, heated grips/seat, nav electronics, BUT NO RIDER AIDS (NO ABS, TC, ETC)
    A RIDERS BIKE! - not a Dakar sled but a N. America explorer

unless someone talks me out of this build I think I may take it on

IF THIS IS A REPEAT THREAD PLS POINT ME TO THE WR450 conversion thread and kill this one

Help me out - what do you know about WR450s and FZ-07 - are there better twins out there? Seems like sticking with Yamaha products might make the conversion a bit easier??

I know I will get a few comments along the lines of "Why would you want to screw up a bike as perfect as a WR?"

Answer: there are a lot of WRs to choose from - there are No lightweight Adv bikes - rumors abound but until they hit the showroom a build seems to be the only way to get the dream bike - plus it will be a fun project.

Cheers
    FJ Fun and rrrnnn like this.
  2. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
  3. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Samtech79 - I read your Honda project end to end and that is what gave me the confidence that a lightweight Adv is possible. I have not measured all of the frames/engines so I am hoping this crowd will help steer me away from a project that goes bust.

you are the king of conversion so here are some questions for you:

Did you chose the CRF because it was sitting in the garage gathering dust or because it would yield the bike you wanted? The specs I read indicate the WR is much lighter and has much better (adjustable) forks/shock - seems like it would yield a dirt capable bike with the ability to tune the suspension.

Still waiting for your Honda test report - how does she handle?

Why do you say look at a WR250R - isn't that a smaller frame than the 450?

Did a quick spec search for the R3 321 - couldn't find HP/torque but at 321cc that is going to be too small for my ideal - I think a 750 is about right if I can keep the weight down - really want something I can cruse the slab all day on if needed

I didn't see the 500x engine measurements in your thread - were you able to post those? Will it fit in a wr frame ? - everyone seems to love that engine?

thanks for the feedback
  4. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've been dragging ass on posting the dimensions. Still dealing with the wiring harness.

Anywhoo, the 250R frame already has a removable cradle. It's really not much smaller as the 250R engine is pretty big for a 250.
    The 250 is also street legal to begin with. Might not matter where you live but in some states it's a real bitch to get some bikes plated.
    The 321 is around 40hp but it's real light. It'll do freeway no problem but it's not gonna break any records. Still very smooth and packaged in a light bike could be fun.
    Anyway, the place I see that might be a problem is the top of the valve cover on the right hand side... It'll be really freaking tight.
    A FZ 700 in a 450 frame... Well, the 450 is pretty narrow and the FZ ain't. Might fit, go measure some stuff and see.
    It wasn't too much trouble to stuff a 500x into a 250L frame. It's not a super wide engine, it ain't skinny by any means, but it's doable. The 250L is really wide for a small bike.
    I would stick to whatever manufacture though because all the little wiring bits. Unless you want to switch out all the switchgear and plugs for the lights, etc.
    I actually like the little 250L. It's got good ergonomics for me, I'm short and built like a tank. Stubby arms, shoulders like a barn door, hobbit inseam.
    The suspension is terrible out of the box but the Racetech stuff transforms the bike. It's not a dirt bike, it's not a adventure bike... Somewhere in between.
    Back on another forum I tried to convince someone else to stuff a 500 into one, he ended up doing it and blazing the trail. I looked at where the swap could be improved, wrote it down and started hacking.
    I'm slightly bias to a steel frame for this sort of build and aluminum really requires much more attention and some post treatment. Although I will admit I've considered building an aluminum frame from scratch.
    I think if I get around to building a super Aprilia it'll probably end up being steel. Finding a popped SXV is the hard part.
    Do you already have some parts? If still got a clean sheet, maybe a hot blooded Italian tire destroyer?
  5. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Has to be already street legal for CA - the WR450F - fits that bill. I am looking at the 450 only because of its dirt pedigree - If the CRF can be upgraded with some suspension tweeks that is a possibility and you have already paved the way - I could try to duplicate your build.

I have no parts so a clean sheet start

On your build did you consider just totally replacing the CRF wiring with the 500x wiring - I was thinking of totally stripping the donor frame wiring and buying a salvage engine bike and using all of that wiring - thoughts? If I did that then I could put the 500X in the WR frame

Is there a larger Honda engine that might fit in a Honda dirt bike?

By the way - are you selling dups to your fairing? That is really sweet looking

Hot blooded italian sounds good but I love that Honda reliability - I might be interested in your Honda (as everyone else is) so let us know if you want to part with that! Then I could get on to my other projects
  6. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    I picked up a complete totaled CB500F and gutted it. I took the whole harness but the bike is a different chassis so things don't just fit real easy. No splicing yet but lot and lots of rerouting and changing a couple plugs here and there.
    I'm not aware of any bigger engines that would fit... I think you could possible stuff an RC51 in transalp bodywork but you would be looking at a full frame build and it would be very, very tight.
    Trying to adapt a frame has fairing narrow possibilities. Still, it might fit. Go measure up what you think you want and give it a good think. The FZ would make a whip ass ride if you could shoe horn it in there.
    Maybe... It's more the doing than the having but I want to ride this one for awhile.
    Yes, fairings will be available someday. I had sent it to Perfect-fairings in Greece but USPS smashed it to death. I've started building new molds to vacuum form them from Polycarbonate and ABS. Still gonna be a minute.
  7. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    I'm stoacked on this project - won't need a fairing for a while
    will start by drawing up the major parts in CAD - if anyone has dimensions for engines frames that would be great
  8. larryboy

larryboy Chopper Rider

Oddometer:

I measured the 500 in Samtech's bike. Just roughly;

16.5" overall width.
    19" tall, I think that was with his custom oil pan.
    12.5" overall length.

I measured in a way to suit what I wanted to know, will I need the chop my KTM frame and will it fit between my 7 gallon tank.
    Te Hopo likes this.
  9. racer43

racer43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, what's the verdict on the KTM donor frame Larry?
  10. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    So one thing I got to thinking about... The rear wheel... You will probably want a Cush hub as it makes the sprockets last longer and take some of the vibe out, blah blah blah...
    But what type tires do you want to run? A DOT knobbie in 120 or 130 likes D606 or T63 is happy on a 2.15 rim but mile eaters like K60 or E07 even in 120 or 130 are gonna want a wider rim like a 2.50-3.00. Bad things can happen with those tires on too skinny of a wheel.
    If I do the Aprilia it's gonna be a 3.50... The CRF is. 2.15 with knobbies but I expect to be changing them often.
    Just food for thought.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Chopper Rider

Oddometer:
    It fits and it looks like it'll fit without cutting the frame. Just needs tabs welded on for engine mounts. I'm not real sure if I'm going to do it with this particular KTM though, it's a pristine survivor paint shaker, I'm going to take it on a little trip and see what I think after that.
    waylongway likes this.
  12. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ummmm, dr650 with a 790 kit?
  13. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Or Versys/Ninja KLR? There's been some really nicely done before.
  14. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Isn't that a single ? Requirement is for a multi cylinder for slab riding when needed
  15. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry. why do you need two cylinders to ride slab?
  16. larryboy

larryboy Chopper Rider

Oddometer:
    Singles suck droning down the road hour after hour, that's why.
    Motero2, Ginger Beard, ACR and 4 others like this.
  17. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Found this little tidbit on another thread. Pretty specific to be BS, probably accurate.
    It's lighter than I though... By a lot.
  18. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still trying to get ahold of this...

I'm trying to consider the options as well for this kind of bike. I like the CRF500L the best so far based on weight, but I'd like to see some power upgrades. I'll probably go check out a specific forum on them.
  19. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    This idea is full of YES
    Please build it.
  20. Rokoneer

Rokoneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my version:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    phreakingeek, ACR, Te Hopo and 4 others like this.