Help me achieve perfection - WR450 twin Adv conversion

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by MotoPolo, Apr 22, 2016.

1. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If HIDs goes out and never light up again unless you restart it ,the problem is AFTER the ballast.
    If goes out and light up again without restart the problem is BEFORE the ballast.
    Both cases you should look for bad connection,pinched wires.
  2. Dino de Laurentiis

Dino de Laurentiis Working on it

Oddometer:
    It’s a nice light weight and compact engine but I’ve seen all kinds of strange horror stories from the 790 models already. Loss of oil pressure, leaking cases etc. But obviously anecdotal but I’d research potential issues very thoroughly before attempting to build something around the 790 engine.
  3. Jur1

Jur1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had cars with Xenon (HID) lights. When the bulb is going bad it starts to turn noticeably red before going out. And like plumer1kt said when the problem is the bulb it doesn't light up again unless you restart the car.
  4. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Interesting second 790 I see that leaks oil here https://advrider.com/f/threads/madr...tm-790-adventure.1378256/page-8#post-37781016
    [​IMG]
    MotoPolo likes this.
  5. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Have had Trailtech HID's go off/on due to over-heating during an offroad summer night ride (lucky I had a LED aux light)
    Removed the protective cover from the front (and kept out of roost-zone) and stayed-on for rest of trip.
    Not sure of what 'open-circuits' or whether they have temp detection/protection capacity......
    MotoPolo likes this.
  6. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I did get the ballast pretty warm before I relocated it - I don't think it got hot yesterday but it did get a shake. Might be worth a spare ballast/ignitor.
    Bluetonguejak likes this.
  7. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Well it was not a frog strangler but I went out in a steady rain at 64 degF. Rode for about 45 min. I was surprised that it really wasn't uncomfortable.
    No issues with bike - HID stayed on. Air filter had evidence that some water was reaching the outside (damp at airbox interface - gravity?), but no sign that any got to the airbox.

Electronic displays stay pretty dry at speed, but as soon as you stop they get wet

My gear did pretty well
    Helmet - Shoei Adventure with pinlock - absolutely no fog - I wear a balaclava and it only got wet at the back of the neck. My head was nice and comfy.
    Top - icebreaker 200 wt long sleeve - icebreaker vest - Klim Traverse (gore-tex) - some slight evidence of water seep through at front of shoulders - my bicep area of arms started to feel a bit cool - the rest was comfy.
    Bottom - underwear - gym shorts - Klim Overland (gore-tex) - some seep through or around in front crotch area right where jacket ends, rear butt got noticeably wet down to underwear. Looks like water came through fabric - not around it. Got a little cool on top of thighs. In general I was impressed with the Klim gore-tex but a bit disappointed in this region. Anyone else note this area as being vulnerable to getting wet first and most?
    Gloves - BMW Motorad - gore-tex - my hands did not feel wet riding but the gloves felt wet on the inside when I took them off. I also had grip heaters on and maybe was sweating a bit.
    Boots - icebreaker ski socks - knee high, Sidi Adventure gore-tex - everything was very dry - Toes started to feel cold after 45 min and 55 mph.
  8. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
  9. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    What if HID goes out and comes on only after many restarts? When is the problem THE ballast?
  10. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    I want to keep this thread about the bike so I will not clog it up with discussions about luggage, trip plans, etc. If you are interested in those details visit my trip planning tread.

However I thought my on-board tool roll might be of interest. I do like Mosko Moto products and their small roll seems to work well. Without panniers it sits nicely on the Perun rack.

IMG_4977.jpg
    JagLite and plumer1kt like this.
  11. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    The chain breaker was modified to also serve as a master link press.

IMG_4844.jpg IMG_4843.jpg
    JagLite and plumer1kt like this.
  12. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Aftermarket sites popping up all over Some YZ450 48mm forks would be a good aftermarket fork upgrade
    https://t7rally.com/shop?olsPage=products&page=2
    MotoPolo likes this.
  13. hellotimmutton

hellotimmutton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would expect aftermarket tanks to pop up pretty quickly
    MotoPolo likes this.
  14. greasyfatman

greasyfatman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can bog my motor causing a low voltage condition that kills my HID. Typically takes a key off and back on to restart HID.
    MotoPolo likes this.
  15. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    What, no vice grips, crescent wrench or leather man ? :D
    Son of MotoPolo and MotoPolo like this.
  16. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When its dead!It's a HELLA or i remember wrong?Those are of good quality so i don't think the problem is there.At least not so soon.
    You have a light controller installed.Next time check if you have power -both +12 and ground- at the ballast.This way you can see if the problem is the controller or your HID system.
    Restart means that you switch off the ignition key ,then switch on and start the bike,right?Or your controller works in another way?
    If the ballast detect an open circuit at the wiring to the bulb it shuts down and you have to restart so the ignitor will light up the bulb.
    Now tell me ,is there a D2S bulb?check the socket of the bulb ,those sockets use to make problems like yours.Is the socket with built in ignitor or not?
    Also i remember that this problem first occurred the same time with the heat-related engine shut down.When you measured temp on components ,your controller was one of them.Was hot or not?Can't remember.
    Well....add this to your toolbox
    [​IMG]
    With this you can detect if your controller send power to the ballast and it is a must to have it with you to detect electrical problems.All my previous tests could be done with that simple tool .

Link?
    MotoPolo likes this.
  17. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Plumer - thanks - Here are specs on light and history
    Light - Hella Projector, Morimoto 9005 Elite HID system (ballast/separate ignitor/bulb) https://www.theretrofitsource.com/9005-morimoto-elite.html?preselect=51866,54424,47338

Yes the ballast (but not ignitor) got pretty warm on that first long ride - it was sitting behind radiator. I have since moved it higher in the bike and installed a heat shield to deflect radiator exhaust away from my electronics above the engine.

light is powered off the PDM 60 controller. Controller shuts down with engine shut down and then powers up with ignition on so a restart cycles power to the HID.

I ordered new ballast. I'll do all the checks you mentioned - bulb is a good place to start - lot of tight wiring in that area - maybe got shaken on whhoopdeedos? I have that tool - will dig it out.

Thanks

Here is link to ride plans - will start updating it this week with route, gear, notice to riders that might want to join for a leg - what are you doing in October? Come ride the west coast pacific crest with us. https://advrider.com/f/threads/canada-to-mexico-bdr-early-fall-2019-want-to-join.1385025/
    plumer1kt likes this.
  18. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Yes - I see a few concerns that the T700 suspension is lacking for some. Yamaha must get those KYB forks at a good cost - it would be nice to see them offer and "R" version with top notch suspension, exhaust, etc. But as my buddy says, we are in the minority. Most people buying the T700 want a road bike that looks cool and is very affordable.
    Dukehunt and outbacktm like this.
  19. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    See my note to Plumer - I have a power controller powered by battery - So SHOULD be immune to alternator output.
  20. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep,right there