Help me achieve perfection - WR450 twin Adv conversion

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by MotoPolo, Apr 22, 2016.

1. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    Leatherman - yes it is in the tank bag - Also two T hex wrenches for easy access to seat removal (have to remove beavertail) and fairing

No vice grip and no adjustable wrench - considered them - hope my buddies have them if needed - we'll compare tool lists
  2. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Slightly off topic, but I've made mine from a 220v live detecting screwdriver, a piece of wire, a red and a green LED and a resistor. That way not only I can tell if there's voltage, but can also detect polarity.
    plumer1kt likes this.
  3. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A simple 12v version of this?[​IMG]
    Nice!
    MotoPolo likes this.
  4. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
  5. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Well I think the bike is done and ready. Got my Renazco Racing seat- it is a work of art and much more comfortable than the 690 seat. I thought about dark brown suede but James talked me into black, I like it. The seat now covers the area that the side panels used to hide and I think the whole bike looks more cohesive.

IMG_5015.jpg

You'll notice some new signage - There it is a little bit of tongue-n-cheek here and there is a backstory.

When I was a teenage driver, the car I lusted after was not a Ferrari or Porsche or 57 Chevy, it was a dark green Pac Bell telephone repair truck. Why? Because they could park anywhere. Stop in the middle of the street, put out two cones, and come back hours later and no one bothered them. They were "Official Vehicles". I always wanted the carte blanche afforded by an Official Vehicle. But there is also a serious side that I think would be a cool way for adventure riders to give back to their community. I have contacted my local Sheriff's office about aiding in search and rescue. As a group we are spread all over the country, in remote areas and populated, extremely well connected by this and other social media sources, may know the surrounding wilderness areas better than most , and have good navigation capabilities, many with Satellite trackers. Wouldn't it be great to be able to respond to help locate a lost hiker or Alzheimer victim? This has the potential for rapid response in some really remote areas. I'll keep you posted on how receptive the Sheriff's office is.

IMG_5016.jpg

I'll have to redo this one.

Also needed to tell everyone what kind of bike this is.

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_5036.jpg
  6. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. 515

515 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done. A really well executed and unique bike.
  8. Son of MotoPolo

Son of MotoPolo The mountains are calling...

Oddometer:
    Oh wow! That seat looks great! Ties the front and rear lines together.

Also proud to announce that my Transalp is now produced by James Moto! Love the sticker!
  9. Son of MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    And who needs orange cones with a paint job like that?! The bike itself qualifies as its own hi-viz gear! :D
    scot_douglas likes this.
  10. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    plumer1kt likes this.
  11. plumer1kt

plumer1kt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha!
    I need to oxy-weld brackets on the frame and make a mold , then build with fiberglass or in your case with Kevlar!
    That's the material i used to build kick panels and subwoofer enclosures in my car-audio days.And i love it.
    KEVLAR Plain Weave Fabric-3.jpg
    Imagine that material on your bike.Openings for the radiators and a good UV lacquer are mandatory.
    But i need the bike for that...so one of us have to pass the Atlantic ocean...:fpalm
    Well,you have the "know how".That airbox was perfect!Go with Kevlar now!
    MotoPolo likes this.
  12. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Plumer - your photoshop skills are impressive - My son saw your post but thought I posted and kept asking me when I made the new side panel.
    plumer1kt likes this.
  13. Son of MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    yeah, spectral highlights are on point!
    plumer1kt and MotoPolo like this.
  14. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry, I love your build but everytime I see it.........

ronald.jpg

I can't help myself!!!
  15. awp235

awp235 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Firsttime I've caught this thread.... Let me get this right: WR450 frame heavily modified to suit a FZ07 motor.. 75hp hardcore adventure bike, basically fit for distance rallies, with 4.7 gallons of fuel onboard. That gives you a relatively low maintenance 250 mile range adventure bike that is really just as heavy as my DRZ, except better handling and performing in every situation, whether its blasting down the highway at 85+ or on gnarly singletrack. Smooth, well mannered, capable of crazy long distance in relative comfort..... a dream come true. Holy Canoli!! I'm going to have to really read through every page of this thread eventually. This is AWESOME, and being that I'm heavily into car modification, this really gets my wheels turning about the possibility of creating my own custom bike one day. Congratulations, and I can't wait to see more of your trip report. Even just that trip you're going on is a dream come true. Kudos, stay safe and most importantly, show us what that bike can do!
    MotoPolo, Dukehunt, outbacktm and 2 others like this.
  16. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    Incredible work. Why wait when you can make.
    Nothing to be proud of but we can be a bunch of idle chaff munchers by comparison.
    I'm so impressed
  17. darkhelmetnl

darkhelmetnl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MotoPolo likes this.
  18. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Remove the outer barrel and chuck it in a lathe, drill press, or drill motor so that you can turn it. Then with a small grinder, grind down the OD for only about 1/4” of length until end of barrel will fit between master link pins. Now you can use the tool like a C clamp to press the master link together. Hope that helps.
    outbacktm likes this.
  19. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    So far the bike has been Perfection for my purposes. I have about 100 lbs of camping gear on the bike and I’m about 180 lbs suited and it is handling the the BDR with ease. Loaded it is easier to ride than the WR. Glad you like the project. I’m already thinking how to make it better.
    greasyfatman and outbacktm like this.
  20. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Scutty. You make me smile. Everyone loves your knickname for my bike.
    Scutty and outbacktm like this.