Help me decide: GL Siskiyou or Mosko Moto soft panniers on my 790R

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Wheeljack, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Wheeljack

Wheeljack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying to pick between these two panniers. They're both about the same price and seem like good quality bags. The Siskiyou's are supposed to be able to be mounted rackless, but not sure how realistic that is. They're both 70L capacity. Anyone have experience with either of these? Or have suggestions on a better option?
    undingen likes this.
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Reckless 80; no racks required = less weight.
    marchyman and BHoward like this.
  3. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a reckless 80, I like Mosko’s stuff. I do like not having racks.
  4. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went with the Kriega bags, might be worth a look. I liked them because they were slimmer and they're smooth on the outside so less stuff to grab on things that may rub or in a crash. I've seen some Mosko stuff get ripped apart (not in person just reports from owners) because there's so much to get hung up on the outside. I own other Kriega stuff and it's really well built.
    SCPancho and hcd like this.
  5. Olleg

Olleg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    viber_slika_2020-04-04_14-06-30.jpg viber_slika_2020-04-04_14-09-06.jpg viber_slika_2020-04-04_14-10-36.jpg

I had Siskiyou on my 1090 adv r, waiting for Corona virus to pass, to try it on my new 790 adv r...
    guarddog0777 and Migolito like this.
  6. Olleg

Olleg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had opportunity to use Mosko moto reckless 80 (oldest model) on my ex 690 enduro and they were great, saying that, Siskiyou is for my way of packing camping gear and other stuff more practical. Both are very well made, strong and durable. Perun moto made side carrier for 1090 and they were perfect for Siskiyou set up, specially for keeping the luggage safe from exhaust. I believe that they will make it for 790 adv as well.
    Anyway waiting to try it... the weather is beautiful, even more when you are looking through the window...
    LewisNClark likes this.
  7. Wheeljack

Wheeljack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I may just go with the Nelson Rigg bags. May not score me any style points at Starbucks but it looks like it will get the job done, and at a good price. I do wish they had a little more capacity though.
    Ninjafreak, zonth and JP4 like this.
  8. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    As an owner and fan of the Kriegas, can you take a look at the Tusk bags and summarize a comparison? I have the MM R40 for my 350, but it's probably a bit small, so I have been considering the R80v3, the Kriega OS combo 34, and the Tusk Highland rack less systems.
  9. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with the Tusk bags the Kriegas are very simple really but built very well and have expandability. I went with the Rade Garage racks because they sit tighter to the bike, a bit lower and farther forward and they are setup so the Kriega bags attach directly to them but they do require removal of the passanger pegs pegs to use for a mounting point which isn't an issue for me but may be for some.
  10. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. I actually like mine a lot. They are a little nicer than the old Ortliebs I ran for years off-road on my LC-4 640. They actually expand bigger than their 28 liters would suggest. The biggest shortcoming compared to the expensive ones is their lack of exterior pockets, which would be nice. They're a pretty durable waterproof bag they at a great price.
    One caveat, I am running them on my Tusk racks, which works great. Don't know how they'd ride tackless.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before you choose, make a point of trying to see & touch your options in person. A far cry from online eye candy only.
    Bigkeeper likes this.
  12. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    I went with Mosko BC panniers. Super easy on and off, which is important for me. Plus pretty bulletproof.
    TrailTrauma and Flatroads like this.
  13. guarddog0777

guarddog0777 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not tried the Moskos but had the Siskiyou panniers on my 1190r and they were brilliant. IIRC the moskos are only 80 litres including the top bag, whereas the Siskiyous are 70 litres just the sides so allow a top bag to be used also, so more like 110 litres.

However, if you want to use the Siskiyou panniers without a rack you will need to change the exhaust as it's too high. I went for the rade garage rally exhaust for this reason. I also cobbled together some flat side panels out of 3cm mdpe to help with the fit.

Will get some photos sorted when I get chance.

Attached Files:

LewisNClark likes this.
  14. svneko

svneko What?

Oddometer:
    The Mosko rackless system is 80 liters total but their panniers are 35L per side without a top bag. They require a rack.
  15. Wheeljack

Wheeljack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cheaped out and ordered the Tusk pannier rack with the Nelson Rigg bags. Seems like a good setup for the money. Just couldn't bring myself to spend $1000 on soft bags and a rack setup. Would like to use the difference on other comfort farkles. Hopefully the racks aren't too much of a pain to install/uninstall for when I want to go rackless.
    zonth, Toddv and JP4 like this.
  16. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    The Tusk rack is really well made and fairly easy to install, but might be a pain to take on and off as you need to take the exhaust can off to access some of the bolts.
    That being said, one of the best features of the Tusk rack is that it's very narrow, especially since it's asymmetric and pulled in on the left side. They are very unobtrusive without bags mounted on them, so I doubt they will be in the way riding technical terrain.
    Wheeljack likes this.
  17. Wheeljack

Wheeljack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! That's good to hear. I'll probably just leave the rack on there then. but only mount the bags when needed.
    JP4 likes this.
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I kind of like them on there. They're pretty burly and you can drag the bike around with them. Kind of like crash bars for the ass end :)
    zonth and BobcatSig like this.
  19. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a set of GL Siskiyou panniers that are hanging in my shop; I'll make someone a great deal on them. Send me a PM. (sorry if this violates the sanctity of this thread...I'll post them over on the FM)
  20. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    Same. Though they'll need to go once I mount my Mosko Moto Reckless 80 kit. It doesn't really seem to work with the grab handles.
    JP4 likes this.