Help me decide: Tiger or Multi or VStrom

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by GSAragazzi, Feb 1, 2016.

?

Which is best for Central Mexico small town hoping 2 up.

Poll closed Nov 8, 2016.
  1. Tiger 955i

9.1%
  2. Multistrada DS

6.1%
  3. VStrom

78.8%
  4. Other?

6.1%
  1. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turn of events has me traveling to Mexico for extended periods of time. I have a car there but the roads are so great that I really want a bike. Renting has been an option but a very expensive one. At the same time the budget is not great +-$4000usd.
    At that price point I've found the 3 options listed on the heading, all around the same vintage 2004-2007 with the Strom always showing up newer, with panniers, more equipped etc while the other two always nicely Farkled but no luggage. All with the same mileage (mid teens to mid 20s k miles).
    My current ride is a GS Adv. Which the wife and I take on long rides and I commute on almost daily, I mention this bc she is used to the space vs smaller bikes. I'm 5.11 185lbs 33 inseam and she is 5.6 and 125lbs.
    We would use this bike for day trips and no more than 150 miles each way (that's tops more like 80 miles average). No need to haul all our possessions since these will be day trips.
    I do have experience with two of the engines -having owned in the past- a ST1050 (triple) and 3 Ducatis (one had the 1000DS) but never the Suzuki. Any other options?
    Roads there come from fast perfect smooth freeways (speed around 80mph) to backroads with gravel (35mph at best two up). Little towns there are paved with stones so clearance is a must and designed by following a donkey and paving behind it so ease of maneuvering is also needed. Location is central Mexico which is surrounded by mountains, so good handling is a must.
    Thanks in advance gents

NEW NEWS THAT MAY SWAY THE VOTE: i was offered an 05 Multi with only 5k miles for around $4k.......
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I vote Strom, mainly because it'll be easier to source parts and make repairs.

How far is it to the nearest Triumph or Ducati dealer in central Mexico?

(I'm a Triumph and Ducati owner, so it pains me to pick the Strom but that is my vote.)
  3. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I'll b in the town of Cuernavaca. Parts are easily acsilable. Ducati has a dealership there and Mexico City is only 30 minutes away. There's a Triumph dealer there.
  4. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The multi is a great bike with good ground clearance, but the rear seat is pretty small and reliability is not top notch. The Strom is a workhorse, very reliable, suspension is blah but you can have fun with it.
  5. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    I love my 'Strom. Ya kinda gotta wind it out to really make it howl, but it's worth nothing that it's got an SV engine in it- it likes to rev. Parts are cheap, and for what you're talking about, I expect you'll be doing some adjusting to the ergos- well documented on the 'Stroms.

I recommend ABS- it's saved my ass several times.
  6. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh no! Like I expected, the sensible alternative is winning :D
    This would be my first 4 cylinder bike and im a bit worried about that. Plus I'm looking for character maybe passion?
    I guess I need to test ride a Strom to see if it makes my juices boil.
  7. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    'Stroms are two-cylinders (L-twin). They seem a bit flat at first, until you remember that while it's got an upright ergo, the engine under it is pure detuned sport bike. Rev it and grin.
  8. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh! Now I'm interested!!! I love torque and Twins. I once swapped bikes w a friend that had a TL 1000 and it was great! Wonder how different the TL engine is from the one in the Vstrom ?
  9. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Strom becauae of parts and servicing.

The TL was carbied. The strom is the SV1000 engine which is good as well, bht that bike didnt sell well as the TL I think a lot because of looks and wasnt quite as sporty in the frame.
  10. DepthFinder

DepthFinder Portly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heads and throttle setups are different. The strom's valves are smaller for better bottom end. It still screams when you spin it up, for what it is.

Feel free to take mine out if you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    GSAragazzi likes this.
  11. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would go with the Strom.
  12. DustyRags

DustyRags Idiot

Oddometer:
    Note- there's both a 1000 and a 650 'Strom. I'm familiar with the 650- plenty of grunt for two-up, runs fine on the fwy too, and a bit lighter and has a bullet-proof engine. Never ridden a 1000 'strom, but have ridden a 1000 SV- stupid power. Just stupid. Grins for days.
  13. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    About those 650 engines. I was just online shopping on a Mexican version of CL. How about this: 2007 Cagiva Raptor 650 ( same engine as the SV) with about 9k miles for an asking price of $2500 usd open to offers. I say flat $2k US cash on the spot.
    http://moto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-535715271-cagiva-raptor-2007-_JM

Good for the city and short trips, not so sure about two up tho English mags have reviews of it on u tube say it's good two up.
  14. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The TL's weren't carbed and the engines are the same basic design with the Strom being tuned for a little better fuel mileage and torque at lower revs. Great reliable platform and a real workhorse.
  15. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I voted strom, mainly because I have one... but they are great bikes! On my old 650 I put 20k on it and on my new 1000 i put another 22k on it this past year and i've never had to replace a single part. The 650 was used with 60k on it when I sold it. I did maintenance of course, brake pads, coolant, brake fluid, etc.
  16. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait, I might have been confused with the TL1000s which is carbied. The R is FI
  17. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    For where you at talking Vstrom. Or a smaller 250-650 class dual sport. With a lean towards a DRZ or if you keep it down there something bought local.
  18. Subito

Subito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vertical C likes this.
  19. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I give up then
  20. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would really consider how much two up riding you are actually going to do down there. A smaller bike will be a lot more fun, probably safer in terms of going slower when people do dumb shit and safer in terms of not standing out like a gringo. Oh and not a sweaty in the heat.