Help me Decide

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by Stonegoat, May 15, 2019.

1. Stonegoat

Stonegoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I recently sold my KLX 250, and am looking to get a bike for the slab. Daily commutes (mostly twisty highway) of about 70 Km, and the occasional multi-day trip. Although very different, the two bikes currently at the top of my list are the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (has nearly all the accesories required for touring), and the 2019 Honda CB 500x (I could add everything for touring). I test road a Versys 650 but didn't like the ergos. I've sat on the Tracer several times and it feels like it fits well. No 2019 500x in Canada yet, so not sure how the bike would fit, but it would be less expensive in all ways compared to the Tracer.....but would I get bored? Would it have enough grunt to pass comfortably on the highway? Thought?
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Wake up

Ktm 1290 s.a.r....does every thing, proper
    The_Precious_Juice and nk14zp like this.
  3. ishmac

ishmac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say focus on the Yamaha 700 Tracer, a brilliant parallel twin which engine is a peach!! Ticks all the boxes.

Regards;
    Peter
    Scotland
  4. Stonegoat

Stonegoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Canada- no 700 Tracers here unfortunately
  5. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Import a tenere 700 from Europe...

Orders being taken now
  6. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a Tracer9 for a couple of years and rated it highly, would have kept it longer but it got wrote off. Its fast, comfortable, reliable and cheap to run. Only its budget suspension let it down, dont know if its better these days on the GT version.
    I'd say it would be perfect for the use you mention. The engine is that good, that when i wanted a naked street bike, i wanted to keep that engine. So i bought the XSR9.
    I also have a 19 CB5X, and while obviously not as powerful as the Tracer9, i'm just as happy with it. In some ways i even prefer it. But only you will know if its power is enough for you.
  7. Stonegoat

Stonegoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What aspects of the CB500x do you prefer?
  8. laokai

laokai =+=+=+= Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about the Versys X 300? It's closer to the 250 that you are leaving but a lot more road-capable and can serve as a light tourer. There is a good sized following here in the VX3 forum.
  9. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has some offroad capability, its lighter and its ridiculously frugal on fuel. Its a lot better on B roads and in town with its twin engine and Honda easy to live with manner. The Tracer9 always seemed to want to go at warp speed and its engine often made me ride like that.
    I find i'm more laid back & chilled on the Honda, even though it can still crack on if i want it to.
  10. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice The Virginian

Oddometer:
    Bro,

If you are on the fence, go with the inline three.

This is the easiest thread I've ever posted on.

If I was an admin, I'd go ahead and lock the thread.:D

11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Stonegoat used to ride a KLX250. The CB500X is going to seem like a rocket in comparison... :lol3

I really like the Tracer GT, but for your use, it seems like overkill and maybe a bit more limiting, depending if you still would like to go ride dirt once in a while. The CB500X will handle all your commuting and light touring duties without a problem. It will also be a lot easier and more comfortable to ride when the pavement stops. That fact that it's about 60% of the cost is just an added incentive.

Another option would be a V-Strom 650. Somewhere in between the CB-X and Tracer GT on power and cost, but not really lighter than the Tracer.

Gustavo
    Chirosyd and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  12. Stonegoat

Stonegoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input. I've considered the Versys 300 but it doesn't really do it for me. I have ridden a 2015 CB 500x, and I liked the motor, but only spent about 15 minutes on it, and I'm wondering if it has the jam to safely pass traffic on the highway? I've never ridden the Tracer GT, but sitting on it feels comfy and natural. There is a Yamaha demo days event in my area towards the end of June. I may try the Tracer then. No 2019 CB 500Xs in BC yet, so I can't swing a leg over one, and who the hell knows when they will reach our shores.
  13. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 500 has enough beans for US traffic speeds. Rummor has it N America is getting the ‘19 in mid June. I’m waiting too! The MPG’s are very appealing. I just hope it feels similar to my Tiger because the ‘14 my wife has feels small.
  14. Stonegoat

Stonegoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the outstanding mileage is appealing with current fuel prices. The Tracer would still be decent, but would burn more fuel for sure. I'm also concerned that the Tracer will be to abrupt for smooth, relaxing riding, especially around traffic. Already lots of internet chatter talking about ECU flashes for the Tracer GT to smooth out the fueling - kinda discouraging
  15. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes , the ergos on the Versys 650 are a little odd , however , just like most brands of bikes , you usually only have to change out the seat to a Seat Concepts , lower the pegs , and handle bars are easy too .

And the Versys 650 LT has saddle bags ... 2015 thru 2019 are the same except color... and if you don't want a new one , the used prices are crazy low... good luck :thumb

[​IMG]
  16. seaduck100

seaduck100 You just got smoked by an old guy on a cb500x

Oddometer:
    I've got the cb500x I considered the Versys 650, but the mileage ain't very good. I think that with the way things are falling to shit in the M.E. It is likely that feul is going to get pretty spendy. I'd roll with the honda.
  17. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Given your requirements, I'd go wIth the CB500x. Fuel economy is king in commuting, and you guys pay even more for fuel in BC than we do in California. A guy in my local moto club has one and he sings its praises regularly for use similar to what you plan on. The cost saving factor is certainly attractive, too.
  18. ommoran

ommoran Experienced Newbie

Oddometer:
    if you are cross shopping all of those, I'm going to throw in for the 650 V-Strom as well. Great bike that does it all, comfortable, good on fuel, bulletproof. I don't know where you are in BC, but with gas getting to $1.91 per litre for premium, the economy part is going to be quite important. I average about 5L/100 (45+MPG) on mine, mostly commuting on city streets.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  19. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Boring and cheap: V-strom 650, maybe even the 1000. No better value out there either way.

Fun and expensive: Tracer 900 GT.
  20. Stonegoat

Stonegoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I considered the VStrom, but it feels way too heavy when I sit on it.