Help me desecrate a WR250R please

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Dean Ohlin, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Blakduk

Blakduk Just trying to get by.

Oddometer:
    The WR250R is pretty reliable and versatile little bike for the $$. I just got back from ~1000kms riding out past Injune/Roma. From nasty deep sand and rocky steep hills, to open dirt roads and 110km/h highway, while carrying swag, fuel, etc.
    Other bikes were a 1290, 690, KLR650 and a 500EXC.
    Apart from occasionally wishing I had more torque for those long fast inclines at ~90km/h...compensated for by just dropping down 2 gears and applying more revs... the little blue bike met all challenges.
    In comparison to the other bikes, the 250 was much less tiring. For hitting things harder, I could have been on the 500 though. For the highway I would have liked the 1290. I think a couple of the other riders wished they were on my bike more than I wished I was on theirs, overall!

I must say that everyone loved their own bikes in their own way. Just goes to show the quality of the adventure is not always that bike-specific...
    Fork seal is fixed Dave, yours to ride whenever it stops raining!
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  2. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Hope it hasn't been too bad for you up there Dave. Mate of mine on South side really copped a hiding
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  3. robbiedobbie

robbiedobbie Robbiemyboy

Oddometer:
    yes
  4. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin Inner City Elite

Oddometer:
    I got off pretty lightly. Few wrecked aluminium shutters, couple of broken windows, bashed the whirlybirds about and a leaking skylight. Nothing to what some people copped.
    Big Willy likes this.
  5. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    That's good mate. Still a bit scary when it happens though I bet
    Dean Ohlin likes this.
  6. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    how's the desecration going
  7. Dean Ohlin

Oddometer:

Slowly...well not even started...haven't got a bike yet. Still just checking a few things out occasionally. Made some enquiries re suspension lowering, the bloke was a bit doubtful about lowering the suspension (by machining suspension components to reduce suspension travel) by 100mm, but regularly does 50mm so about 75mm might be a goer. I'd need a new seat just for comfort so a Seat Concepts Comfort Low will get me another 25mm lower for a seat height of 830mm, which should be OK. So minimum requirements of suspension mods., tank, bash plate, hand guards and seat mods add up to a $2000.00 spend and that's putting of stuff like a little screen and some sort of decent size rack off and then kidding myself they're just coming out of "normal" spending. Plus not a lot of bikes around. A lot of peoples idea of a reasonable price for their baby is making a newy at $8,300.00 look better all the time. So put all that together and it equals..."Budget?...what fuckin' budget?"
    Blakduk likes this.
  8. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    KLX
  9. Tenerrod

Tenerrod Make it shiny

Oddometer:
    I plan on doing the WR250R thing early next year and plan to do a 10k trip on it.
    IMS tank and panniers racks then go.
    Dean Ohlin and BygDaddee like this.
  10. Dean Ohlin

Oddometer:
    THKS