1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Help me Get out of SW Ontario

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RCR001, Aug 24, 2020.

1. RCR001

RCR001 MOTO CHASER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Im looking for a place to go for a ride this fall. Usually headed down south. Looking for good roads for a 3 or 4 day ride, East of Toronto/ west of Nova Scotia. 4 of us riding Adventure bikes but mostly sticking to the pavement. Will trailer there as we are coming from the london area and the 401 sucks on a bike. We have spent a month on trips to colorado/ california, done the blue ridge and deals gap to many times. Without going to the west coast , were unsure where the next trip will be. Appreciate your best advice !
  2. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not the area you’re talking but I just spent time around the Soo. There is 129 (Ontario’s Tail of the Dragon). And 556 which is over a 100 Kms of gravel with tight turns and hills.

North of Wawa take 519 to Dubreuilville. Excellent paved road and no traffic as it’s a dead end
  3. RCR001

Oddometer:
    I just got back from that area, Crossed the Chi-Cheemaun north to wawa and all the way up to Hornepayne, definitely some good riding up there. That 129 looks interesting!
  4. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Sounds like the Gaspe and the North Shore Quebec to me. Lots of dirt choices and/or tear up some pavement to Manic 5. James Bay if you want to go distant and of course the Trans Taiga if you want to go all in for adventure.
  5. RCR001

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting, Thanks damurph!
  6. MiltonHog

MiltonHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are many good roads running north of London to Tobermory avoids droning down 401. The ferry is a great diversion and its easy to spend a day or two on the Island. You can wander up to Wawa and make sure to stop in the small towns . From Wawa you can decide on heading north to Thunder Bay or east across 101 to Timmins. Lots of good riding though Temagami back to North Bay. From there a circle around Algonquin Park is well worth the time. Huntsville and Muskoka have multiple good roads and lakes to enjoy. If camping the Provincial Parks are usually good and should not be as busy after Labour day. If booking motels check available . I was on Manitoulin last week and was unable to get a room so I stayed in Sudbury.

I enjoy travelling back roads and staying in small towns when possible. A lot of the small motels are very bike friendly and appreciate that bikes are still travelling. There are not any issues with fuel and some great little restaurants that will appreciate your business. Ontario has a lot to see and enjoy. I can think of plenty of good roads in eastern Ont .

Getting back to London from the Barrie area and avoiding the GTA mess is not difficult Hwy 93 or 12 to Midland and south works well . Highway 4 runs to Hwy 124 south of Collingwood thru Hanover Walkerton and home. Use the money you save trailering 4 bikes and trucks to stay out an extra couple of days. Our tourist business are really struggling with all the covid restrictrictions and could use our help and get to know each other at the same time.

Enjoy the trip and Ont Tourism has a good site and printed material .
    Night_Wolf and Maggot12 like this.
  7. RCR001

Oddometer:
    Thanks Milton hog, but i am looking to go east into some new territory, just got back from Muskoka riding for 3 days and agree the small town vibe is cool. Been all over SW ontario and need to see something new! Thanks for the input!!
  8. MiltonHog

Oddometer:
    Lot to see east of GTA from Peterborough or Lindsay north into Haliburton all the way to Renfrew. You have to see Calabogie exploring around Kingston and Rideau area. Lots of good roads to see all the way to Cornwall area. I live in GTA and spend a lot of time exploring . I really have learned a lot about Ont history . I just bought a Back Roads of Ont mapbook at Indigo to replace a very old and tattered one. I can tell you with confidence there is plenty to see in Ont and the fall season is my favourite time to ride. Less traffic and competition for rooms.
    dresda likes this.
  9. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chapleau Crown Game Preserve if you like wilderness. Top of the aforementioned 129.
    MiltonHog likes this.
  10. smashley

smashley Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've done 3 trips north of the Saint Lawrence and would travel the area again, but it would be for gravel roads and not paved. There was nothing that I found "great" and must ride again when I return, although there were some "very nice" that I enjoyed while riding. They included Route 307/Chemin de Val Ombreuse along the Du Lievre River and Chemin St. Come north of Foret Ouareau. The best probably was Rang Des Pins Rouges which ends in the Reserve Faunique Mastigouche.

If you find yourself riding the gravel roads further north, you should take in the 20km of pavement between Rapide-Blanc Generating Station and La Trenche Generating Station.

For easy and very scenic gravel/dirt I really enjoyed the Chemin du Lac-Wayagamac through ZEC Bessonne and on to ZEC Jeannotte. I also enjoyed many of the roads in
    Reserve faunique des Laurentides (east of 175) and Reserve faunique Rouge‑Matawin. You can find both easy and more challenging gravel/dirt roads in the Reserve fauniques.
  11. RCR001

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the feedback gents! I'm looking at the Calabogie area, depending how long i can talk these guys into going for..One day i would like to do the Quebec tour, just gonna need a few more days...
  12. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Get east of port hope, stay 10 km north of the 401, eastern boundary from Brockville up to Renfrew.

Within those three borders, there's a shit ton of great paved/gravel stuff that you can ride for days and days. I retired in this area for this very reason.

Don't need to plan a route, just use the gps as a moving map. Page it over to answer the "does this go thru" question every once in a while.

I hunt chip trucks this time of year. There's some great ones out there serving all kinds of good stuff. Diets are not for riding.
  13. MiltonHog

Oddometer:
    Great advice. A chip truck is a great find. It also keeps money local to that town and that helps people more than most of us realize.
    Runaway Train and Night_Wolf like this.
  14. smashley

Oddometer:
    Because of current restrictions, that's our plan for this year's trip as well. We'll be doing a cloverleaf out of Killaloe. NE to ZEC Rapides-Des-Joachims and ZEC Saint-Patrice. SE to Centennial Lake Road, Calabogie Road, California Road, Arcol Road / Hydro Line & the Massanoga trail. SW to Mayo Lake, Pine View Ridge, Lingham Lake Road, O'Donnell Road, Flinton Road and Old Hastings. W to Kennaway Road, Kushog Road, Black River Road, Old Wagon Road, Bobcaygeon Road, White Boundry Road, and Fire Route 72. We'll be staging on Sep.20, riding 21-24 and heading home on the 25th.

Plan to get a milkshake at the McArthurs Mills Chip Truck which I heard about on the TCAT thread.
    RCR001 likes this.
  15. RCR001

Oddometer:
    wow, maybe i'll just follow u? Like to do about 30 Over if that works:-)
  16. BjornBsrkr

BjornBsrkr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about base camping (hotel) up around the Blue Mountain to Tobermory area and day ride out from there? Lots of good roads.

You and your buddies could also throw in a day at an off-road riding school like SMART (smart adventures.ca) and brush up on your dirt skills. The Dual Sport course, for instance, would have you planning your next trip on gravel and trails! It changed the types of trips we took from that point on. The school is located on the property of the Horseshoe Resort which is a nice place to stay.
  17. smashley

Oddometer:
    We were already doing those kind of trips, but wanted to bring a buddy up to speed when we went to SMART. Took the full day dirt bike course and noticed a big difference on our very next trip. For me it was getting comfortable grabbing front brake downhill on a soft surface. In the afternoon, on the single track, I had someone go down on a steep sandy downhill in front of me and made an upright emergency stop with no drama. Way more confident in those kinds of situations on my bigger bike now.
    Night_Wolf and Candubrain like this.
  18. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would love to do that course but....ouch...the cost.
  19. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I took the same course 2 yrs ago. Helped me a lot, but physically I could only do 1/2 the day, (oldmanitis). Clinton suggested I spend the afternoon trying the R1200 Rally......the rest is history
  20. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Clinton is a very good instructor, but being in Alberta I have NOT taken his dirt course
    MiltonHog likes this.