Help Me Identify CCP in this photo

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mdmaroon, Jun 24, 2010.

1. mdmaroon

mdmaroon Mike

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of removing my CCP (Cat Code Plug) to cure a surging issue. I have seen it described as being yellow, and in the center of the fuse box. Well I have a yellow relay (or whatever it is), but not in the center. Do I have a CCP at all? Is it the yellow one off to the side, or is it supposed to be where the empty socket is...

[​IMG]

Thanks....
  2. MudSling

MudSling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don't have a CCP on your bike. It would be where the white square socket is... my '01 1150GS didn't have one installed when I bought it either.

You can try the StepToe jumper mod which often helps.

[​IMG]
  3. GeorgeinVA

GeorgeinVA Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer:
    cgdrake is correct. The cat code plug is a jumper. I is the only "relay" with only two terminals.
  4. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    what does this jumper change on the bike. Is it for bikes that have removed the stock exhaust? I have thought about changing my exhaust system out for the Wunderlich collector and the Wunderlich tuner so I wouldn't burn my valve from running lean.
  5. mdmaroon

mdmaroon Mike

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks! I'm going to try that out. Is the jumper position shown in your pic the best or only option?

I have a Y pipe so that is probably why the CCP is gone.
  6. MudSling

MudSling Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Read this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189972

It will answer some of your questions and has a chart with the various jumper settings.

Good luck!
  7. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Wonder how much BMW charges for that little Faux Relay? That is crazy
  8. GeorgeinVA

GeorgeinVA Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer:
    $6.42
  9. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    Really? At least that's halfway reasonable. If I remember, that thing used to be $35.

<BR>
  10. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    BMWs for Canadian delivery are not fitted with the CCP. Only US bikes are. The CCP for US bikes is yellow/gold in color. The CCP selects the appropriate map in the ECM based upon emmissions requirements. Instal the US CCP and you'll get better mileage.
  11. mdmaroon

mdmaroon Mike

Oddometer:
    I did give it a try and it seemed like the slow speed throttle response was better (meaning more progressive and easier to use small amounts of throttle).

After a bit more testing, I found that the mid range power was kind of flat. Like it was getting either too much fuel or not enough (not sure). Kind of like the engine bogged a bit in the mid RPM range.

I removed the jumper as it did nothing for my surging issue which is what I was trying to fix. I think I'll just live with it, because apparently it is normal from what I've been reading.
  12. BluByU

BluByU Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Surge, surge SURGE what is this you speak of ??
    OK, Ya they all do that, and have tried everything to solve it. some what better

best mod was the CCP jumper.
    I did the 30 to 87a jumper,
    Better low throttle response.
    Fuel millage got better:dunno this makes no sense to me, but I am not complaining
    Yes a bit flatter in the mid range, barley noticeable
    "your results may very"

The 1100GS has a y pipe and low restriction muffler and I ride it like I stole it
  13. GmanVic

GmanVic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 1997 R1100GS from Seattle last year (I live in Victoria, BC) and love the bike EXCEPT FOR the surging issue. Been working through all the AWESOME advice on this site, including meticulous Rocker Arm and valve adjustments; new plugs; complete Zero=Zero; bought a TwinMaster and everything (woohoo)! So far, no improvement. I have just changed the throttle cables and aircleaner and now putting 'er back together. Thanks for all the great wisdom, wit, experience, and opinion on this site. I will post (here? someother thread?) with those results.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You can connect the bottom jumper to the right for low octane fuel.
  15. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to jumper info: Coding Plug Info

On the R1100GS the 30-87a jumper wire disables the O2 sensor and accesses a richer fueling map. It you do that, it's a good idea to add a CO potentiometer and get CO adjutee to 1.5%. Before doing that I'd ask if your bike runs better when the engine is cold.

Looks like you're working your way down the list. It'd probably be a good idea to start a different thread for your questions.
  16. GmanVic

GmanVic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Roger. The bike is running much better with the CCP plug removed. I will read about jumpers now and start a new thread if I have more Q's.