Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by melitele, Mar 3, 2014.

1. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never had an issue paying for a quality product. No reason to feel entitled to free stuff. As long as you keep Furkot relevant to motorcyclists and AD FREE I doubt you'll have any issue getting ADVRiders to pay for it. I think it's important that the "yearly pass" model be complemented with yearly feature updates. I get a little annoyed when I'm paying a monthly/yearly subscription for something that rarely sees content updates. That doesn't seem to be a problem with Furkot, thankfully.
    benedict63 and melitele like this.
  2. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Very cool! And, a pretty good idea to help supplement. I agree, there is no reason not to pay for something that has quality and use. And, Ad-Free!

I appreciate the work involved with making Furkot both Free and Useful. Thanks for taking the time to work with us.
    melitele and benedict63 like this.
  3. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that related to future reservations only, or any made before. I've made all my hotel reservations thru Furkot when planned my trips.
  4. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for using Furkot to make reservations.
    The past reservations count of course.
    We are in the process of reviewing our records and applying free access to Furkot Pass features for reservations already made - it should be completed in the next few days.
    If your account hasn't been updated yet, please use the option "Try out for free" when hitting one of the pass-covered features.
  5. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it possible in Furkot to have multiple tracks displayed and not be part of the route? I'm planning a trip on the MABDR (https://ridebdr.com/MABDR) and can't figure out how to include the bypasses and alternate tracks as part of the trip, but not part of the route. I typically use Google My Maps which can have multiple layers on one map.
  6. melitele

Oddometer:
    Furkot has some means of planning trip variants: https://help.furkot.com/how-to/trip-variants.html

Plan B option may suit your needs. Fair warning: is it a bit obscure and not the easiest feature in Furkot.
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plase take a look at my YouTube "Furkot Pro Tips" on "Plan B" optional routes. Melitlel put this feature in for me in support of just this type of Use Case. In fairness it does take some practice but the application implementation is very well done.
    d.c. likes this.
  8. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Melitele,
    Seems like Plan B is the best option.

Dan,
    I've seen your videos. Well done and informative. Thanks for that. I guess I'll keep working with it, but it just seems overly complicated. With Google My Maps or Basecamp, I can just have lots of tracks displayed that aren't connected to anything else. Furkot forces me to one continous route, even if that routes has multiple paths between two waypoints. Guess I'll just have to change my process since I'd really like to use the new export for Galileo option.
  9. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @919nick , I agree it, Plan "B", isn't perfect for this Use Case, but considering that Furkot is a Trip Planner and not just a route editor like the applications you mention, I think it does a pretty good job of it since you can have any number of Plan "B" routes.

It would be nice if Furkot could treat Tracks you show and select in FIND the same way it does "MAYBE" POI's: i.e, save the complete Track as-is and export the Track as it would a Plan "B" route.
  10. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing that would be fantastic would be a way to display ALL of the trips and tracks at once.

Yes, I know I can tag everything but often don't, and if it would be possible to show all the trips, I could more easily go through and edit out redundant trips, or find a trip I remember about where it goes, but not what I named it.

Galileo Pro has this -- I can just turn on all the tracks, and when I tap on it, it tells me what the track name is. Then I can go and turn off the tracks I don't want.
  11. melitele

Oddometer:
    There is an option in FIND drawer that may help: 'My other trips' (the first choice under 'My other trips, routes and tracks')...
  12. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    I use that for finding places when planning a new trip, but what I mean is something like this, where you can switch on ALL the trips at once. Can you do that with the FIND drawer?

IMG_7DD842050470-1.jpeg
  13. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Here is what I get with the FIND drawer. It only shows some tracks and those are incomplete...

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 4.40.58 PM.png
  14. melitele

Oddometer:
    That's right. When displaying your other trips in the Find drawer, Furkot looks for stops that fit in the displayed map - up to a 100 - and shows the route leading to each stop it finds. This is why you only see portions of your trips. For each stop it finds, Furkot lists its trip in the Find drawer (de-duplicated). To see the entire trip click on it in the Find drawer (or on its portion on the map) and Furkot will get all its stops and display it on the map. As you keep clicking, you'll see more compete trips.

If you are looking for a specific trip this way, it may involve a great deal of panning, zooming and clicking.

To recap, there are 3 places to see a collection of trips:

1. on the My Trips screen - all trips ordered by time and optionally grouped by tags

2. in the Find drawer - the subset of trips that have at least 1 stop coinciding with the displayed map (limit to 100 stops)

3. in an album of publicly shared tripshots - if you tag a trip, each tag creates an album plus one album for all public tripshots without tags

We are discussing changes to My Trips to show either trips on the map or a map preview like the one suggested earlier on this thread. I don't have an ETA yet.
  15. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Great to hear more progress is expected!

My experience, however, is that #2 doesn't work reliably. I have multiple stops displayed in the map and no tracks show up aside from the one I'm working on. Any ideas on what might be going on? I've included the map and the FIND drawer in case I'm doing something wrong. In this case, it does display stops (which is great) but not tracks. I want to see the tracks so I can use routes I've already created.

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 7.42.14 AM.png
  16. melitele

Oddometer:
    Looks like selecting 'Stops from my other trips" (the second icon with a flag) hides the trips. I'll investigate this issue. Thank you for reporting.

Meanwhile, select either 'My other trips' (the first icon with 4 squares) or 'Stops from my other trips' but not both simultaneously.
  17. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Here is what I get when I do that -- with "other trips" or "stops" only selected I don't see routes. Hmm... Thanks for looking into this!

Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 11.57.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-01-25 at 11.56.53 PM.png
  18. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    I seem to be having a similar issue in displaying "My other Trips" from the FIND drawer within another Trip. But, it is interesting that some Trips show up all of the time and other will not show no matter what I do to the viewing area.
  19. melitele

Oddometer:
    We have found and fixed a couple issues with trips and stops in the Find drawer in 8.6.6 . 'My other trips' and 'Stops from my other trips' won't interfere with each other and you can use them separately or together. The stops are more evenly distributed between trips and one trip with lots of stops won't drown the others (likely the cause behind the issue reported by @DRTBYK). You'll also see routes for stops as long as both ends are within displayed map.

While investigating, we discovered that some of the old trips lost some of their routing data. The routing will be automatically recalculated when you open such a trip (properly, not just in the Fund drawer). Until then it'll show as straight lines in the Find drawer and its stops won't show routes. I am sorry about that.

Thank you @markinthailand and @DRTBYK for reporting the issues.
    Tiger993 likes this.
  20. markinthailand

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that!

Is having the elevation profile added back in on the list? I ride mostly in the mountains, so found it very helpful to mark high points, as well as preview the route above and beyond just the topographic map.

And you weren't kidding about the lines, LOL. Time to open up some of the old trips...

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 7.56.01 AM.png
    melitele likes this.