Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by melitele, Mar 3, 2014.

1. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    We are evaluating options for elevation data and are hoping to reintroduce elevation profile sometime this spring.
    DRTBYK and markinthailand like this.
  2. Radioaktiv

Radioaktiv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to add a few lines of text to the email when sharing a route? If this currently exists, I have not found how to do so. I think this would be helpful, especially when sharing a route with someone who isn't familiar with Furkot. Currently I share the route, then send another email with notes or explanations.

Thanks!
  3. melitele

Oddometer:
  4. Radioaktiv

Radioaktiv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    melitele likes this.
  5. melitele

Oddometer:
    New addition to planning trip variants - https://help.furkot.com/how-to/trip-variants.html - skipping routes: https://help.furkot.com/features/route-details.html#skip-route

If you have a route segment in your Furkot plan set to 'travel off road' you can use the SKIP button on the route to turn it to a skipped stop with a route. You can then use the ROUTE button on that skipped stop to re-add the route to your trip. Also, MAYBE in the FIND drawer now saves routes with the stops (if the POI in the FIND drawer has a route).

Make sure you have switched on the advanced features in the PLAN drawer filter.

Skipped routes can be included in the exported GPX if you have Furkot Pass. As I mentioned before, if you start your reservations on Furkot, either in the past or for your upcoming trips, you'll get free Furkot Pass as reward.

And if you try this new addition and find a problem with it or anything else in Furkot, please report it and we'll send you a coupon for a free Furkot Pass in return.

Enjoy.

skip-route.png restore-route.png
    DRTBYK likes this.
  6. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is AWESOME! Thank you!! I also like the new breadcrumb-like arrows that show direction of travel.
  7. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on thanks for the feature upgrade!

Also, just a request - would it be possible to support export to Sygic as well?
  8. melitele

Oddometer:
    Might be. What format does Sygic support?
  9. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome new feature. Thank you!
  10. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. monsterRS

monsterRS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do I get a free Furkot Pass if I started a reservation on Furkot in the past? We did a trip to Spain in June 2018 and made at least two reservations through Furkot. It's actually quite a nice feature!
  12. melitele

Oddometer:
  13. melitele

Oddometer:
    When you encounter a Furkot Pass holder exclusive feature Furkot will display a message with an option "Get reward for booking on Furkot". Select this option, click OK and a free Furkot Pass will be automatically applied to your account. If you are not seeing the option despite booking on Furkot, invite trips@furkot.com to share the trip for which you made the reservations on Furkot and we'll send you a coupon for a free Furkot Pass. Check this article for help on sharing your trip: https://help.furkot.com/how-to/share-trip.html

furkot-pass.png
    PTJCAL likes this.
  14. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure - I've just got the standard "Sygic GPS Navigation" app for Android.
  15. melitele

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    Looks like I need more help: how do you open ITF files in Sygic GPS Nav app for Android?
    It doesn't seem to register for Open with... and I cannot find any option inside the app.
  16. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's not all that intuitive. Assuming you'd already transferred an ITF file into the right directory (ending in .../Sygic/Res/Itinerary ), from the main navigation screen you'd first press the "heart" or "favorites" icon that's on the right side of the search bar.
    You then should see your imported route listed under "Favorites and Routes" in the bottom half of the screen, and you'd just tap it once for it to use it ( https://help.sygic.com/en/sygic-gps...d/tips-tricks/how-to-add-a-place-to-favorites )
  17. PTJCAL

PTJCAL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently booked a hotel from furkot for a route I'm planning and I now have as reward a furkot pass... Nice features as indicated here. Thanks a lot.
  18. melitele

Oddometer:
    We generated a file according to the spec here: https://developers.sygic.com/documentation.php?action=navifiles_ITF . Unfortunately this is not the format supported by Sygic GPS Navigation app for Android - when I placed it in .../Sygic/Res/Itinerary and went to "Favorites and Routes" screen, it told me wrong file version. I also looked the file that Sygic GPS nav app for Android generated for a route and it doesn't seem to match the spec above. I'll contact Sygic support and ask for the spec for the file format.

In my experience they may respond better when contacted by actual users. If you, or anyone interested, cares to contact Sygic support to ask them for specification of file format(s) supported by Sygic nav app, that'll be great.

We are ready to add support for Sygic in Furkot export as soon as we get the spec of the file format.
  19. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - I also just sent a request in to Sygic and hopefully should hear back from them in a couple of days.
    melitele likes this.
  20. SpudMonkey

SpudMonkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just following up on this. Sygic tech support was fairly responsive, but after a few back/forth e-mails where they tried to direct me to use their own route planner, they finally said they only support importing routes generated from within their own (simple) trip planner.
    Anyway, althouthanks for the effort on getting this working. As Sygic doesn't appear to be an option now, I'll continue to use Furkot and explore some of the other Android navigation apps that have the features I'd like + support GPX import.