Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by melitele, Mar 3, 2014.

1. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    A "Get Lost" button in the site providing to a T planning - that's a bold idea. Inspiring. Let me see what I can do with it.

Meanwhile you can try the Find drawer - you can select categories, activities and data sources and Furkot will show you attractions and pois on the map. One of my favorites are places from the Atlas Obscura - all kinds of oddities - look for the greenish icon that looks as A in a circle at the bottom of the Find drawer after you select category and activity in the top rows.

You can also ask others to help you "get lost" :wink: by showing them your trip via tripboard and asking for suggestions for the day of wandering. Check out the option Share in Trip drawer and then pick Ask Around.

Thank you for using Furkot and sharing your ideas.
  2. Paulie

Paulie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    melitele, 1 lil thang I've found that'll help us users out...

After dragging/altering a route, a new "stop" is made. Sometimes that's not right where ya want it & it needs to be deleted. When ya click on the garbage can, it oughtta just do it - without the "are you sure..." prompt.

Thanks.
  3. melitele

Oddometer:
    You are right, stops should be quicker to delete. I've made the change and now stops are deleted without the prompt. Deleted stops can be undeleted as long as the trip is open - they disappear for good when you leave the page with the trip plan.

Thank you for making the suggestion.
  4. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW,

planned my first ride as a solo Road Captain for my club using Furkot.

People seem to like it.
  5. melitele

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear, good luck.
  6. JGT

JGT Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good product, and interested to see the mobile version. Am I right that the mobile app is not available yet, but is coming soon?

Is there any way to do this with Furkot:

I would like to compile a library of shorter routes -- some just a single road, some longer -- and then be able to import some selection of those into a compilation map, put the imported routes into some order, and then draw in connecting roads in between them.

Also it would be nice to be able to show the imported routes not connected, and maybe in different colors so that I could see a visual library of what is available.
  7. melitele

Oddometer:
    Furkot has a limited mobile view that shows you your trips and, for each trip, a list of stops and allows you to trigger navigation app on your phone. This also works offline, so you can view your trip without cell coverage (which is only useful if your navigation app can work offline as well). Furkot's mobile view is not an app but a web page, so you'll have to open a browser on your phone and direct it to https://trips.furkot.com.

Short term we are also working on making Furkot's full website behave well on phones. Long term we are working on a fully functional mobile app but I can't promise you any specific release date yet.

I've just responded on Furkot's user feedback page to the very similar question (yours perhaps): Combine several furkot trips into one

You can do a part of what you are asking for provided that you make trips from your library public (at least for the duration of importing). Use Share button from the Trip drawer and then Publish with the option to share with Furkot community to make your trip public.

To see public trips on the map of a trip open the Find drawer and select the category: 'scenic byways and backroads' (and subcategory: 'motorcycle'). If you see too many trips, unselect all the buttons save Furkot icon at the bottom of the Find drawer. Trips will show straight lines as routes but should display actual routes once you click on them. Stop button adds trips from the Find drawer to yours. Caveat: Furkot adds stops and recalculates routes, so if the routes in your original trips were not calculated by Furkot but came from elsewhere (like importing GPX files) they may be different. Also, Furkot maintains order of stops when adding to a trip but automatically decides where to put it - the resulting combined trip may depend on the order in which you are adding trips from the Find drawer.

I'll be working on using routes in addition to stops when adding trip from the Find drawer. I'll also try to implement some way of letting the user decide where to place the added trip.

We are planning to allow use of different colors for trip segments - thank you for the suggestion to use colors in this case.
  8. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    Saw this on the homepage and thought I'd give an update: I've started using Furkot for planning routes and exporting as a gpx. Loaded onto my phone and run through OSMand, it works brilliantly. Still using furkot for any multi-stop trips!

Fully recommended for any on-road use.
  9. melitele

Oddometer:
    I am so glad you found a way to navigate routes from your Furkot plans on the phone. I am going to play with OsmAnd and see if I can make the transfer of routes from Furkot to OsmAnd easier. Thank you for the update.
  10. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    Osmand also has downloadable maps for a functional offline experience, and it gives the option to navigate by the gpx file. It worked really well for the most part, but I lost signal more than I had it in parts of West VA. That was just a lack of satellites and being down in hollers though.

It does not calculate directions well, so Furkot adds a lot of functionality that it doesn't have and compliments it well.
  11. Dyn Blin

Dyn Blin Irn Bru Lover

Oddometer:
    I had a chance to use Furkot in action this weekend for long-distance ride. I tried to use it through OsmAnd, but received errors through the app. Instead, I followed the directions to use the mobile website and it was great, both online and off. I also used the export function to utilize through my ancient Gamin 2610 via MapSource.

When the mobile app is out for Android, the ability to recalculate suggested service waypoints based on changes to distance/range/time-speed would be helpful.

Many of the longer rides and rallies require overnight riding. If there is the ability to reflect hours of operation for a particular stop venue (particularly gas stations), that would be very helpful too.
  12. melitele

Oddometer:
    I'm adding both suggestions to the list and will work on them soon. Thank you.
  13. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just tried Furkot for the first time and must've missed something. I created a 'Trip', which was about a 200mi route by going through the 'wizard', incl. giving it a name. I dragged the route in a couple of places to take specific roads, and it inserted the 'road' symbols as waypoints in the route. I also added a lunch stop. Not finding any 'save' button, I assumed it would save automatically, but when I closed the window and came back a bit later, this Trip does not show when I log back in. I tried it a second time (with less work on the route) and it still didn't save (or did it?). I was expecting it to show next to the "Leaf Peeps & Harvest Eats" trip that was added from one of the "Inspire Me" pages (which, incidentally, does not show any routes when opened).

How do I get back to a Trip that I saved / was already working on?
  14. melitele

Oddometer:
    The trip should save automatically. It should show on your list of trips. If you send me a private message with your Furkot login name, I can investigate what happened that you don't see the trip.
  15. jeepster33

jeepster33 streaming bits

Oddometer:
    Hello,

A quick suggestion - perhaps add a way to clone/duplicate trips? Sometimes I have a trip and I'd like to change it around and experiment without destroying the original trip. Thanks for the site, I am working with it more and liking it.

Bryan
  16. melitele

Oddometer:
    There are several ways to clone the entire trip. You can share a static snapshot of the trip (tripshot) by using Share button from the Trip drawer and then clicking Publish. Once the tripshot is displayed you can use Plan This Trip button to make a duplicate of the trip. The tripboard (Share -> Ask Around) has the same functionality under Plan With Furkot button.

We are working to make cloning trips easier.
  17. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm not utilizing the power of this app as others seem to be doing, but it doesn't seem to do more than what creating a google maps does. What am I missing because it sounds useful?

Edit : Nevermind, had a similar name to another map app I was testing, now this is one powerful app!!
  18. CKutzGO

CKutzGO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just learning all these gps stuff. my experience has been make a route on google, write the directions on post it notes in my tank bag and hope i don't miss a turn.
    I've been dying for a way to make a route then have my phone navigate me.
    Someone beat me to it, but furkot and OsmAnd are the way to go (for now)!
    Thank you for this great tool. Hope you can work something out with OsmAnd or some other navigation system. Currently i'm making the route, exporting gpx, send to phone, move to correct folder, then open OsmAnd and navigating.

looking forward to a more useful mobile version.
    now.. if you could just get it around my works filter :evil
  19. melitele

Oddometer:
    We will have export to gpx in Furkot mobile version soon which will lessen the pain of transfer to navigation app like OsmAnd.

Thank you for using Furkot.
  20. riverflow

riverflow Half Built

Oddometer:
    OK, so, I'm planning a route through some state parks and trying to select an unnamed road that shows up as a gray dashed line. I think it means seasonal or unimproved roads or something.

Anyway, I can't get Furkot to route me on the road, even with a destination on it. Am I just missing a setting to allow me to do that, or will it not route on it at all?

Is there any chance of a custom point by point mapping solution like this or the capability to route over this road?

EDIT: I also have a StreetPilot 2720 now, so I will be experimenting with GPX maps on that too.