1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by melitele, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Jon G

Jon G n00b

Oddometer:
    I've just discovered furkot and I loved it.

Yesterday I was planning my trip(+-4000Km) and I've decided to change some parts of my trip but it was hard because everytime that I moved a waypoint, Furkot was recalculating route. I would like to have a "pause" button to recalculations to alter my waypoints in planning section and after changed it, recalculate.
  2. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    @melitele I'm having some trouble and I can't seem to find my answer in the help sections of Furkot.com:

I've imported a GPX track into Furkot -- after selecting the routes I want from the "FIND" drawer, and loading them into my trip, I am unable to further modify the track. According to the tutorials, I am supposed to be able to "unlock" the track in order to modify it -- however there is no option to unlock (no padlock symbol appears in the route details).

There is only an option to modify the route color, the speed, and times. Adding a new Stop doesn't work either, as it overlays the new stop on top of the route rather than integrating it into the existing route (which would allow me to break the original GPX route into customized segments, which is my goal).

What am I missing?

Thanks for your continued support and for a great application!
  3. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the suggestion. We'll see what we can do delay recalculation.

Meanwhile you can turn off automatic scheduling of overnight lodgings and fuel stops (if you have them on). This will cut down recalculation time. Set the End a Day time to the same value as Start a Day to turn off automatic scheduling of lodgings and toggle scheduling fuel stops to manual next to Fuel Range. You can turn them back on when you are done modifying your trip.

More about automatic scheduling of stops her: https://help.furkot.com/features/automatic-overnight-stops.html
  4. melitele

Oddometer:
    I would venture that you have both 'travel off road' and 'follow roads' sections in your route, i.e. you have pass-through points (stops with duration 0 displayed as small dots). Such points are added at the ends of tracks added from the Find drawer.

Turn the display of pass-through points on under the Plan drawer filter.

filter.png

Once you do that you'll see segments of your route and you'll be able to change their Routing setting from 'travel off road' to 'follow roads' (it used to be 'locked' / 'unlocked' in earlier version of Furkot).

To do the opposite - change Routing from 'follow roads' to 'travel off road' - you'll need to turn on the option 'Optimize for Advanced Use' (the lightbulb) under the Filter as well.

More about the Routing setting: https://help.furkot.com/features/route-details.html#routing

Adding a stop directly on top of a route should bisect the route. Make sure you click the Save button - stop color should change from grey to blue when it's added. If it's grey, it's not added yet.
    Serp and dasgaswolf like this.
  5. dasgaswolf

dasgaswolf bruh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the prompt response.
  6. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it was covered somewhere before, but seems I can't find it.
    The question again: how do I make the same trip name to be in Garmin as I maned it in Furkot, instead being carried as Day-1, Day-2 etc. with "date"...?
    I tried to put it under Trip/description, but still not being passes to Garmin.
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Use the Day Theme Lable field in each of the Day Properties window in the PLAN Drawer. You're naming each Day (route) that you are sending to your Garmin
    2WheelieADV likes this.
  8. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Worked!. Thanks for reminding!
  9. melitele

Oddometer:
    I am pleased to announce that we have revamped fuel options in Furkot: added fuel types (gas, diesel, ethanol-free gas, electric), made refueling stop duration configurable, added preferred fuel brands. Furkot is now pulling gas station data directly from fuel brand websites in addition to OSM - there are now more stations and, hopefully, their data (location, services, opening hours etc) are more accurate. Finally we have the entire world - including Canada - covered. We'll be adding several more fuel brands in the coming days.

With the improvements, the automatic scheduling of refueling stops is now a Furkot Pass holder benefit (in addition to selecting preferred fuel brands). Since it used to be available to all users, we took care to minimize disruption for trips that are already in planning. If you have a trip for which you have enabled automatic scheduling of refueling stops, Furkot will continue to schedule them even without Furkot Pass. And if you are making reservations on Furkot, you will get a free Furkot Pass. This includes past reservations.

All fuel options are in the Trip drawer:
    fuel-settings.png

You can select fuel type there:
    fuel-type.png

Check this help article for our advice on how to use Furkot fuel options: https://help.furkot.com/how-to/avoid-running-out-of-gas.html
    dasgaswolf, PTJCAL, Deckyon and 6 others like this.
  10. melitele

Oddometer:
    We have made some improvements to trip tags,: you can now edit them directly in the My Trips screen without opening a trip: https://help.furkot.com/how-to/organize-trips.html

edit-trip-tags-in-place.png

Displaying trips grouped by tags is Furkot Pass holder exclusive benefit.

If you have many trips in need of organizing, you have been using Furkot for a while and have been making reservations on Furkot, spreading the word about Furkot, making suggestions, reporting issues - all of which gives you a free Furkot Pass. If you don't have your Furkot Pass yet, send me an email to trips@furkot.com and mention your Adventure Rider handle and I'll email you a coupon for Furkot Pass.
    DRTBYK, Deckyon, dragos and 5 others like this.
  11. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Displaying by tags is great, and so much easier than just having screens of boxes. Thanks for the work on Furkot, I recommend it every day! Also, thanks for the free Pass. It's been awesome.
    melitele likes this.
  12. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:

Thank you muchly for the coupon!

13. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Furkot programmers - why is it hard to carry over the trip name from Trip drawer to the real name?? Please, please do that. I getting this annoying "Day 1 - day, month, date" again in my Garmin even though I wrote the name everywhere I could, including in the "Plan/Tags"... :)
  14. melitele

Oddometer:
  15. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ran across a small issue. I made a trip today in Furkot, I have a Furkot pass, motorcycle setting, and had a long loop that required a fuel stop. It was a little remote so I had to pick some fuel stations that had the diesel symbol and the non ethanol symbol. The problem is the fuel stop/range planner didn't recognize that the non ethanol symbol and diesel symbol are fuel stops. Once I changed them to the fuel pump symbol then it worked.
  17. melitele

Oddometer:
    That's right - Furkot only recognizes as fuel stops the ones that match your preferred fuel type (set in the Trip drawer). If you turn on diesel or ethanol-free filter on to see those stations, Furkot will add them to your trip as such and you'll have to manually change the fuel type on them - just as you did.
  18. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe it would be a good idea to have a toggle so you can select more than one? In my case I did it because there were no normal fuel stops that showed up but they did when I turned on the other two fuel types. Ethanol and ethanol free are can both be used (for people like me where I will put either one in my bike) and I think it is a pretty rare occurrence where a fuel stop that sells diesel doesn't also sell gasoline. Just a suggestion.
  19. melitele

Oddometer:
    I agree that it's unlikely for a station to sell diesel but not gasoline. Diesel stations in Furkot are subset of all gas stations - I am surprised that you found a place where turning on diesel shown you more stations. Can you let me know in what area that happened?

Turning on ethanol-free gas stations will currently show you more because they are pulled from a different data source - pure-gas.org - and we haven't fully merged and de-duped that with the rest of data sources. Once we complete that, ethanol-free gas station will be a subset of gas stations and turning that switch on won't show you more stations.
    simestd, Serp and dasgaswolf like this.
  20. vsteel

vsteel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did some testing and you are right, I couldn't get more stations to show up. I guess I must have clicked it on while things were still loading. I was looking for stations around Picabo Idaho. I toggled between the gas and diesel and found (as I am sure you know) the diesel symbol overrides the gas symbol. Because of that Furkot assumed I wanted diesel and not gas. Looks like this is a PICNIC or ESTO error. (problem in chair, not in computer)(equipment superior to operator) :)