Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by melitele, Mar 3, 2014.

1. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for checking :-)
  2. Sabre170

Sabre170 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ever since Furkot was forced to stop using Google maps as their map source, I've found that drive time predictions are not accurate. Perfect example: I recently planned a route that was 210mi long. Mostly paved country roads with some state highways in the mix. Furkot said this route would take 5:45 to drive. In actuality, it took me 4:30....and no, I'm no speed demon. In texas these country roads have speed limits usually between 55 and 65mph. On my route, furkot puts a lot of them at 35-45mph (and some of them are even blank), and is clear that this is why the route prediction times are inaccurate. I am fully aware that I can go in and manually set speeds for each leg, however, with a route taking multiple turns, this can require manually entering in speeds on hundreds of legs during a multiple day trips. More so, it would require I actually know what the speed limit is in those areas.

I'm guessing there isn't a solution outside of furkot using different maps source, but anyone have a good way of getting more accurate drive times? This has been a very important feature to me in the past as I plan routes as I usually plan my riding based on time not distance. When on road trips, one can forsee the challenge I'm facing.

Thanks!
  3. melitele

Oddometer:
    If you notice that Furkot is consistently overestimating or underestimating driving time, you can decrease/increase speed for the entire trip as percentage, i.e 90% or 110%.

Furkot uses a routing engine based on OSM data - it works as long as roads are properly classified on OSM. If you notice that the time is significantly off, it may be because a particular road is not correctly marked on OSM. You can use the 'Improve the map' button in right bottom corner of Furkot map to go to OSM source map, check the road and even fix it there. The fixes are pulled in about a week by Furkot routing engine.

The speed is provided by the routing engine for sections that are set to 'follow roads'. Sections that a set to 'off-road travel' often don't have speed in which case Furkot sets - a very conservative - estimate. The 'off-road travel' sections are not just the ones that you shape manually or pull from GPX import but also any route from the Find drawer. If you have an 'off-road travel' section that is in fact on mapped roads, you can switch its Routing to 'follow roads' and Furkot routing engine will recalculate it with possibly more accurate speed.

I am not entirely clear on the blank speed note - all sections that are set to 'follow roads' will have My Speed field unset unless you set it yourself either for this section or for the entire trip in mph (My Speed field for a route will be unset if you set your trip speed in percentage).

If you invite trips@furkot.com to share your trip I may have more specific tips. If you need help inviting to share your trip, please consult this article: https://help.furkot.com/how-to/share-trip.html
  4. Sabre170

Sabre170 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ignore my comment on the blank speed note...that was an error on my end.

OSM data has appropriate speeds for highways/freeways, so if I just did a blanket "110% speed increase", I'm not sure if that would work well or not.

The bigger challenge is I can tweak this all day long, but ultimately, for planning a route into unknown territory, I have no clue what I should be tweaking that speed to. For all I know, maybe that particular stretch of road in a different state does actually have a 30mph speed limit. I guess where my "complaint" comes in play is the difficulty to plan a route in an area not familiar with. No, this isn't going to prevent me from using furkot to plan my routes.....it does however make my planning a lot more of a guessing game. oh well.
  5. melitele

Oddometer:
    The routing engine that Furkot uses is under active development. OSM, being used more and more, will get better data not just for freeways but for back roads. Furkot route calculation will improve as result although it'll take time. I am glad you are not giving up on Furkot yet.

Meanwhile, my advice is to do quick sanity check of Furkot routing against Google Maps: unselect all types of stops under Plan drawer filter, so you see the first and last stop only, click on the route and use the Navigate button (next to route color) to see Google's calculation. You'll need to delete the starting point placeholder in Google to see the route and time. Select the same avoid/prefer highways/tolls optiond in Google Maps as you have in Furkot. For longer trips, do that separately for each day, unselecting all stops but lodgings under the Plan drawer filter.

If the difference feels unreasonable, invite trips@furkot.com to share your trip and I'll investigate it.
  6. Sabre170

Sabre170 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I'm working on a 1500+ mile trip right now and will be finalizing it in the next month or so. I'll do a cross reference with google as best as I can and let you know what I find.

Fear not....Furkot is still A++ in my books. Love it!
  7. Sabre170

Sabre170 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just shared you an example. Furkot says 4:40. Google says 3:40. Google was pretty damn close to accurate.

You can expand this issue with a multi day 1500+ mile trip to see the issues I am/may face.
  8. genka

genka SUV hater

Oddometer:
    I'm all for open source software, but have to admit that the quality of Google Maps is second to none, and OSM isn't even close. Are you considering bringing Google Maps back for the paid users?
  9. benedict63

benedict63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sleep drawer does not always find booking.com hotels ?

We are planning a trip in Romania and book exclusively on booking.com via Furkot’s “sleep drawer”.

Furkot’s sleep drawer does not always suggest booking.com’s listed hotels in the area we are targeting (no matter how wide we search). We have to search them on booking.com’s website, copy the GPS coordinates and the name and manually create them on Furkot to be able to use the booking.com link..to book them via Furkot :-/

Is Furkot’s database for booking.com listing up to date or is the link to booking.com lazy ? Or what are we doing wrong ?

(Try Pensiunea Panaghia in Bicaz)
  10. melitele

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your effort in using Furkot for booking hotels. I checked hotels in Bicaz and you are correct: Furkot is not showing all that it should.

Furkot keeps its own copy of all hotels that is periodically synchronized with Booking.com and it looks like that the lag between hotel available on Booking.com and showing it on Furkot is longer that we anticipated. We have an update scheduled for tomorrow and the hotel you mentioned will be in that batch together with many others in the area.

The small wrinkle: Booking.com is tagging this and other similar lodgings in Romania in a way that shows in Furkot as apartment - make sure you select the category "Apartments and private rooms" in addition hotels and chains. Also make sure you have a stop selected for the day that you want the hotel for: Furkot using dates to filter out hotels with no availability and selecting wrong day can skew the results. Also - the number of rooms and persons per room from the Trip drawer impact the list in the Sleep drawer.

We are working on updating Furkot hotel database more often. We obviously need it more than we thought. Thank you for alerting me to this issue.
  11. benedict63

benedict63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you N.
    The hotel now appears in Furkot and is bookable via booking.com. It appears under "apartments and private rooms". We had of course selected all possible types and are aware of the impact of our settings in the Trip Drawer :-) but thank you for reminding us as they are important.
    We love Furkot and are amazed by how fast and how helpful you guys are !
    melitele likes this.
  12. Sabre170

Sabre170 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Running into a stumper here......I've got my settings as follows:

Start a Day: 9am
    End a Day: 9am
    Travel time 0:00
    Daily Milage: 400
    Stopover: 0:00

With these settings, furkot is still dropping the "automatically scheduled sleep placeholder" much earlier.....it seems stuck at ending my days at 4pm or just under 7 hours of riding. Because of the inaccuracy of the map times, I want do have my preset sleep marks based on mileage, not time.

What am I doing wrong?
  13. melitele

Oddometer:
    Check the Finish Trip date - Furkot may be scheduling overnight stops to get you to your trip destination on that date. Also, stops with locked Arrival and lodgings with booking confirmation may result in automatically scheduled overnight stops to meet the fixed dates.

This is the newest addition to the list of travel constraints that guide scheduling the overnight stops: https://help.furkot.com/features/automatic-overnight-stops.html
  14. Sabre170

Sabre170 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks....it was the finish date. It was trying to force me to have even travel days to end at a specific time.
  15. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Just started using this and am already a fan! Thank you!
    melitele likes this.
  16. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Some time back when Furkot was forced to switch to OSM maps there was a problem with zooming in and out on the map to find a "layer"/zoom-resolution that had the route numbers for the roads. I think there was a plan to update the OSM maps more frequently and that part of route planning easier.

I'm still having lots of trouble even in the USA with finding route numbers....
    Anybody have suggestions?
  17. melitele

Oddometer:
    We have made some improvements in Furkot Export functionality:

- added Export button to Days to export single days separately
    - included waypoints and off-road tracks the base export (daily routes and tracks unchecked)
    - consolidated Furkot Pass holder exclusive export options
    - added storing up to 3 most recent export configurations for quick reuse

More about Furkot Export here: https://help.furkot.com/how-to/export.html

Making hotel and apartment reservations (including the past ones) will get you a free Furkot Pass, as will helping improve and promote Furkot. If you reported issues, offered suggestions, or spread word about Furkot and haven't received coupon for a free Furkot Pass yet, please contact me at trips@furkot.com .
    Deckyon, Tiger993 and simestd like this.
  18. Tryggr

Tryggr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have recently started getting "Furkot cannot display the map." message when I log in using Firefox on my Linux Mint box at home, it works fine on my windoze box at work with firefox, and with chromium (chrome) on Linux at home. I am running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon, Firefox 68.0.1 (64-bit) and Chromium 75.0.3770.90 (Official Build). For the time being I will use Chromium, but would prefer to use firefox. Thank you for a great product -Tryg
  19. melitele

Oddometer:
    Could be WebGL problem. Try remedies outlined here: https://help.furkot.com/getting-started/troubleshooting.html#blank-map
  20. Tryggr

Tryggr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your quick response, it turned out to be driver related, one I installed the proprietary Nvidia driver it worked.
    melitele likes this.