Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by melitele, Mar 3, 2014.

1. stokerel

stokerel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say thank you for the best trip planning tool out there. Been using Furkot for a few years now, planning all my long trips and it's always been reliable.

Keep up the great work!
    melitele likes this.
  2. Wise Guy

Wise Guy Soitenly!

Oddometer:
    Just experimenting now with Furkot. REALLY well-designed, and thought out. Very intuitive. I had the identical question to another user that I’ll quote below. His question was from 5 years ago, and at that time, there wasn’t a perfect solution to import actual routes created in Furkot into an Apple app that would:

A. Keep the exact route, without re-routing it in the native GPS app on the iPhone
    B. Allow for Bluetooth turn-by-turn directions

Are there currently any apps available on iPhone that accomplish what the user below was trying to do?

Thanks in advance!

3. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    A short list of apps we tested with files exported from Furkot:
    https://help.furkot.com/features/interoperability.html#nav-apps

There are many more capable of importing GPX that we didn't try ourselves.

I'm not sure which one, if any, does what you need...
    Wise Guy likes this.
  4. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any chance Furkot could use Kurviger routing?
  5. melitele

Oddometer:
    Maybe. Let me do some research.
    If you could elaborate a bit, it would be very helpful.
  6. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kurviger GitHub API Doc's...

@melitele , I believe we talked about this once in our "offline-routing" conversations and the option to have "curvey-roads" as one of the Route calculation options.
  7. N-5Gunner

N-5Gunner n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there, first-time poster, and brand new Furkot user. I'm looking at using Furkot as my route planner for a ~3-week tour of Europe in Summer of 2020, and the iOS app Scenic as the turn-by-turn/GPS device.

I was hoping to ask how accurate everyone finds the riding time that Furkot shows. I am creating a new trip in Furkot for each day of riding, and need to have a pretty accurate gauge of the riding time I am looking at each day. If it makes any difference, most of the riding is on very curvy roads. I have tried dragging a route around in Google Maps to create an exact copy of what I have in Furkot, and I believe I am sometimes getting relatively large time differences.

Thanks!
    Melensdad likes this.
  8. Melensdad

Melensdad Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Oddometer:
    It is accurate if you plug in reasonable information. Furkot lets you adjust your speed so if you are a fast rider you can adjust the speed up, slow rider you adjust the speed down. That obviously alters the time you spend on the road. I used Furkot/Scenic on a recent 4000+ mile trip in 7 US states + Canada and found it to be accurate enough. We had multiple motorcycle and traveled as fast as the slowest rider, Furkot/Scenic showed shorter drive times but were within reason.

You also can account for lunch breaks, tourist stops, etc and using those improves the accuracy but understand that if you allocate 1 hour for lunch and your lunches take 1 hour 20 minutes that creates issues. Multiply that times every stop, every day. So pretty classic case of Garbage In = Garbage Out. Its accurate if the data is accurate.
  9. N-5Gunner

N-5Gunner n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Melensdad! I am using the default average speed of 100%, and expect that we will be moving at roughly average speeds. Sometimes taking some portions at faster speeds, but also sometimes slowing down to enjoy the scenery. One of the other reasons I am asking is because I am getting HUGE discrepancies between the time shown in Furkot and those shown in Scenic (e.g. my first day of riding shows 7:23 duration in Furkot, and 8:54 in Scenic). However, I reached out to Scenic, and was informed that the travel times in Scenic can be inflated due to the routing software reverting to very slow average travel times for roads that it doesn't have adequate "average road speed" data for, so hopefully the discrepancy is due entirely to this, and not also partially due to Furkot.

When it comes to lunch stops/breaks, I am not including those in any of my planning in Furkot. Instead, I know how much riding we'd like to do each day, taking into account roughly how much time we will be stopping each day. So all I have in my planning is the start point, end point, and pass-through points in between to ensure we hit the roads we want.

I'm also a bit worried that the excessive amount of very curvy roads I have could perhaps cause the travel time to be shorter than it will actually be. For some reason my instinct is telling me that the routes I have planned should take longer than what it is saying. For example, there is an area in the Pyrenees that is similar to what I did in a trip in 2016. In 2016, 530km equated to somewhere around 9 hours of riding. In Furkot, that similar day is funnily enough also almost exactly 530km, with a riding time of 6:59. Furkot has an average speed for the whole trip of 77km/h, which on very curvy roads, seems a bit excessive to me?

Any further tips/help appreciated, thanks!
  10. Melensdad

Melensdad Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Oddometer:
    I think it is unreasonable to assume 100% travel times on curvy roads. Just doesn't happen in real life. If you are traveling through Kansas with long straight roads while using a police radar detectors you can probably assume 110+% travel speeds but long distance on curvy roads and riders get fatigued faster, rides tend to take longer, etc.
  11. N-5Gunner

N-5Gunner n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh, I assumed that 100% travel speed was relative to the roads (e.g. speed limit, or average driving data, or something like that)? If it's not relative to the roads in question, then that seems to be a completely useless feature. Unless I'm missing what you mean.

Thanks
  12. N-5Gunner

N-5Gunner n00b

Oddometer:
    I have just done another test, using Google Maps. I took one of my days in Furkot, and have dragged the route around in Google Maps, copying the route in Furkot exactly.

Furkot: 531km distance, 6:47 riding time, average of 78km/h (trip set to 100% default "My Speed" setting)
    Google Maps: 544 km (couple areas it wouldn't lock onto the exact same route as Furkot), edit: 9:40 riding time (without traffic)

As you can see, the discrepancy is massive. I can bookmark the Google Maps route, and share the Furkot trip if anyone is interested in trying to find out what is happening here.

Thanks
  13. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Google seems to have the most accurate road speed and travel speed estimates by my observations, but Furkot is not using Google map data.

I travel almost exclusively on two lane backroads and Scenic generally only has speed limit data on 10% of the roads I travel on. Even so, Scenic still gets travel time estimates in the ballpark somehow, which works for me. It's possible Furkot's map and routing sources also have incomplete speed data which would likely affect the travel time estimate.

You'll get a much more accurate travel time by plugging your average moving speed into your Furkot trip instead. If you have a trip section on interstate, plug in your moving average for that section separately, and for the curvy sections, you can enter an entirely different (slower) average speed for those sections. Include your fuel, meal, POI stops and you'll end up with a very good time representation of your trip.
    Melensdad likes this.
  14. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Suggestion:
    I am in San Pedro on Lake Atitlan in Guatemala.
    I'm wishing I had my old 1200 baud dial-up modem.
    (I know first-world problems :photog)

Seriously, I understand that Furkot needs a server connection to get the job done, but my connection here is so bad sometimes it's hard to tell.
    if Furkot has a connection or not.................

Could you perhaps put a "heartbeat" indicator in some out of the way place on the screen to show connection status?

Great tool overall - THANKS! :beer
  15. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Question: Are the automatic waypoints that are inserted to get up to the 10 point minimum really needed?
    If so the default name seems to be: "Coordinates" something more "lively" might be good ..
    "Automatic Waypoint" ?
  16. melitele

Oddometer:
    You can use a different minimum number of points or even set it to 0 - it depends on your GPS unit. Also the default name is provided by your GPS unit - Furkot doesn't set names for points added to route when 'points per route (minimum)' is set.
    JRWooden likes this.
  17. melitele

Oddometer:
    When you have a trip opened and Furkot looses connection with the server, the button that normally allows you to switch between writable and read-only access to trip is replaced by the Refresh button:

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 4.27.17 PM.png
    JRWooden likes this.
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thank you twice @melitele !

I have the Garmin Zumo 595 ... do you by chance know what the minimum number of points is for that unit?

Someone had told me a while back that 10 points was kind of a universal minimum :doh
  19. melitele

Oddometer:
    I don't know the answer to your question but hopefully someone watching this does...
    JRWooden likes this.
  20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @JRWooden - the minimum number of points on any GPS is Two: Start and End. If you want the GPS device to calculate a route that truly follows the route path you planned then the answer is, as many as it takes. Not meaning to be flip but there is no "minimum" number of points to guarantee a successful calculation - especially if you are not using the same map data.

All of Garmin's units that have the "Trip Planner" App (like your zumo 595) - which is where your Routes (Trips) are stored - support up to 30 Route Points/Route: that includes the Start and End Points. The 28 points between the Start and End points are referred to as Via Points by Garmin. You can also have ~125 Shaping Points (Furkot Pass-through Points) between each of the Route Points (Stops). Shaping Points are not announced by the Turn-by-Turn directions and are indicated as white-dots with blue outlines on most Garmin Street oriented devices.

Furkot Stops are exported as Via Points in the Furkot Garmin Route GPX export option (Furkot Pass) and Furkot Pass-Through Points will add those Shaping Points between your Via Points (Furkot Stops) which helps maintain the As-Planned Route on your Garmin device (zumo 595).

The Furkot Garmin Route GPX export also produces hundreds/thousands of Garmin-coded invisible points between Via Points/Shaping Points that also helps keep the Garmin device from deviating from your As-Planned Route.
    JRWooden and PTJCAL like this.