1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by melitele, Mar 3, 2014.

1. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    We have added the Kurviger routing option to motorcycle trips. It's the one kurviger.de calls 'Curvy route. Prefer curves and slopes, while avoiding cities and highways'. We have also received permission from Kurviger to use one more option: 'Fast and curvy route. Low amount of curves and detours, big parts may be on the motorway.' as well as the preference to avoid unpaved roads. We'll add both options to Furkot soon.

Meanwhile, give it a try. The feature requires Furkot Pass - if you need more time to test beyond one day of the 'try it out' option, please contact me at trips@furkot.com .

Make sure to set trip or route to Motorcycle travel mode to enable curvy routes either per trip or for a selected route segment (see the screenshot).

Thank you for suggesting this feature.

Screen Shot 2019-10-27 at 2.03.17 PM.png
    Cubic, Tiger993, PTJCAL and 4 others like this.
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    @DRTBYK Thanks very much!
    Sorry for the slow reply I'm riding thru rural mexico and internet access has ummmmmmmmm been "less than ideal". :doh

I am the guy you helped about a year back who had this issue:

upload_2019-10-29_9-17-43.png

Part of the fix was to use generic GPX export instead of the Garmin-specific export.
    I know Furkot has made a lot of improvements,
    so I'll try the Garmin-specific export again,
    and not be concerned about the number of point added ...

Again THANKS!
    Jim
  3. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim, I do remember. I've been working on the NAV5&6 and zumo are handling the Furkot export for Garmin. The GPSmap 276Cx handles the Route Point Extensions just fine with the latest Garmin software (V4.80) but the NAV5&6 and zumo's are still treating it poorly. This is a Garmin issue as the GPX Garmin Extensions that Furkot is using in the Export are valid Garmin Extensions.

And, yes, I would still recommend using the GPX standard Export with a maximum of 10 additional Route Pass-through (Shaping) Points. You can use more of these Furkot-generated Shaping Points up to 125 but unless you are using the same OSM Map data on your GPS, I would suggest using fewer points rather than more.
  4. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. The Furkot team rocks. This and the Guru app integration are very cool. I've got the Furkot pass and will set up a ride for this weekend.
  5. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    @DRTBYK : THANKS I appreciate you!
    Since "zero" is an acceptable answer for the number of "Garmin-points" ...
    maybe I should use zero of that kind, and just make sure I add enough Furkot-based shaping points to keep me on-route?
  6. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    As you say, just enough to keep you on route. And, don't forget to verify your route on the zumo before you need to navigate it. :deal :thumb
    JRWooden likes this.
  7. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just stumbled upon this thread. Afterwards, I tried Furkot and found it very useful. Thanks!
    RSDA likes this.
  8. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Just re-upped for another year. The tool is still amazing and keeps getting better! Keep up the great work!
    melitele, AugustFalcon and RSDA like this.
  9. TrailRoad

TrailRoad bigger playground

Oddometer:
    okay... so the NEBDR route is finally out. I have been playing with it for the last few hours and I can't get it to import into FURKOT. Am I doing something wrong, is the file not Furkot compatible, or is something up with Furkot?
    I have been using Furkot for years, planning my own routes - motorcycle and car built from scratch or built from various imported GPX files. I imported and modified the MABDR when it cam out. BUT I can't seem to get the NEBDR file to create a route. I tried the "import trip" I hadn't noticed this option before, but saw notes on how this was maybe not the best for longer multi day trips. I switched back to just importing segments "tracks" from a file. I added a start point in PA and then and end point in ME with the "on road" route auto calculated. I then added the fist route segment from the GPX file, and it adds it just fine. Then when I add the second segment (also in "offroad") it ADDS an offroad segment from the end of segment 2 back to the beginning of segment 1, it's like it is trying to add a "round trip" in the middle of my one way trip. But then is switches segment 1 to "on road" so that if I try to edit out the "loop" I loose all the detail from the imported track. I am so frustrated I am about to go try to learn basecamp - which so far I have avoided.
  10. TrailRoad

Oddometer:
    I have also tried this with other route that I had in files - add first off road route all is well add a second off road route to the trip and it links to the first extending the first as expected but at the end of the second it routs back to the beginning of the first linking in a way "onroad" that does not allow me to even manually correct it without losing the imported route.
  11. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    I am not sure I understand what's happening here. Can you please invite trips@furkot.com to share the trip after you added the 2 segments as you describe? And, if you can email the GPX file as well. Check this article if you need help inviting trips@furkot.com to share your trip: https://help.furkot.com/how-to/share-trip.html
    JRWooden likes this.
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @TrailRoad - I believe this is happening because the BDR Track Start points are positioned in such a way as to make furkot think you want to go back to the previous Start Point - as is shown in my screenshot below. If you just Delete the out of sequence point - in this case "NE GorhamNH to OquossocME" - you will get successive tracks end-to-end.

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 16.28.22.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 16.33.52.png

But, Natalia will most likely find the root cause of the issue.

Caveat - I'm just a user...
    JRWooden likes this.
  13. TrailRoad

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. I’m not back at my computer now to get you the info you first requested. I think you get the gist of the issue. I was able to replicate the issue with other routes - not BDR routes so I’m not sure it is a route issue.
    I will have to try to delete the errant waypoint again as you point out. I thought I tried it as you suggested, but when I did it the route segment converted back to “on road” and recalculated so I lost the original route. Your screenshot seems to show that the original route was retained.
    I’ll see if I can try again tomorrow and get you an update. I really appreciate you looking into this. And I really have enjoyed using the tool for several trips way better than other options.
  14. TrailRoad

Oddometer:
    Hello - I have tried this again today and was not able to get the second route added correctly. I have invited you to my "trip" and sent an email with gpx files and screen shots of my process to trips@furkot.com
  15. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Just some feedback to the Furkot Team, I have tried to create the NEBDR route several times and only once was I able to get Furkot to add an additional Track to the end point of an existing Track without changing either the original Track or using the Start Point of the original as the End Point of the Track just added - thereby creating the straight-line segment from the Added Track End Point to the original Track Start Point.

Adding Tracks successively has definitely changed since it was originally enabled as I show in my early Pro Tips video.

Caveat - I'm just a user...

Cheers,
    TrailRoad likes this.
  16. TrailRoad

Oddometer:
    Quick update: After submitting the information, Natalia got ahold of me and suggested adding the tracks in reverse order as a work around until she could resolve the issue. That seemed to do the trick as I was able to load them that way.
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Yeah... you're "just" a user ... wearing a cape and a mask .... :clap
    Magus likes this.
  18. 2WheelieADV

2WheelieADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new Furkot "curves and slopes" feature is a very nice addition, but will it be possible maybe in the future to set unpaved roads avoidance?
    This will be very helpful for those who want curvy roads and all, yet still prefer staying on pavement.
    Thanks.
  19. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to save places in Furkot, that are tied to my account, so they show up in all trips?

Thanks,
    Al
  20. FireDog45

FireDog45 What should I do today...?

Oddometer:
    Had an issue today where I couldn’t get a file to export correctly on an iPad. Turns out it was browser related in that DuckDuckGo and Chrome wouldn’t give the option to “download” the exported file. Safari did let me export it to my desired folder in Files. I then was able to AirDrop it to Garmin’s Drive app for wireless transfer to a Zumo XP.

Dan suggested I bring it to your attention.