Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by melitele, Mar 3, 2014.

1. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    my one year renewal just popped up and i will be absolutely resubscribing.
    good job on the past year of development and enhancements and i'm looking forward to the next.
    :beer
    AugustFalcon and TrailRoad like this.
  2. the_machina

the_machina n00b

Oddometer:
    Had an issue with a ride the other day, and it seems reproducible.
    Had furkot generate me a route from "OldFort, NC" to "Ardrey Kell rd, Charlotte, NC". Automatic settings were to avoid highways and to prefer curvy roads. I dragged the route to include going down highway 9 and through Chimney Rock, and then exported the track as a high-resolution track. File was only 43kb and had very few points in the track (lots of straight lines not on the roads). If I switch auto-route generation to prefer major roads and export as a high-resolution track, the file size is now 291kb and includes enough points that the track follows the roads when displayed. See both tracks attached. I prefer the routing from the curvy-roads generated plan, but the export of that plan wasn't usable for navigation. Any way to get the High-resolution tracks to export properly?

Attached Files:

3. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Newbie to Furkot and paid for a subscription. I'm a big Scenic fan and this route planner appears to be a good choice to compliment Scenic.

I'm finding its a big learning curve from what I'm accustomed to (Harley Davidson Trip Planner, Basecamp, Googlemaps). But the Help section does guide you.

One thing that I did struggle with was trying to figure out how I needed to set up Safari to allow Furkot to access my location. Got it now, but that should be added to the HELP section for us computer illiterates.

thanks
    brian
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    This issue appears to be fixed. I just tested your Start/End points and generated a Curvey Route with ~2400 Track Points. I didn't duplicate your route path exactly though by drag/drop. But, nevertheless, High-Res Track Exports are working now.

Attached Files:

5. the_machina

the_machina n00b

Oddometer:
    I just invited trips@furkot.com to see/share the route that I have that can't export in high-res, still only exports ~800 track points instead of ~5400 track points that I get with the "straight roads" option.
  6. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you try clearing your browser cache by any chance? I don't know if that is the issue but it has helped me in the past with glitches in Furkot.

I imported your low-res track into Furkot and then manually added pass through points to get it to snap back to all of the roads. I then successfully exported a high-res GPX track without a hitch. I didn't play with the road options though, just worked from your track.
  7. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Interesting...I get almost the same number of High-res points (~2200-2400) whether I set Highways or Curvy Roads between the two stop locations. It will be interesting to hear what the Furkot team comes up with.
  8. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @the_machina ...I was able to replicate your experience using the Major Roads setting to get ~5400 High-res Track Points. The settings used were (see screenshot below)...

63C59670-8A48-4CAC-989D-482C7FEAE2B3.jpeg

When I switch to using the Curvy Roads option, the point count drops significantly. Could be that the GraphHopper/Kurviger folks are not returning as many points(?).
  9. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what does Furkot mean? or is it just a made up word?
  10. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    It's a Polish word that loosely translates to, "...the sound the wind makes as your vehicle moves along." Literal translations: flutter, whoosh...
    JMforPres, ProLeisure and Candubrain like this.
  11. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I think that is what was happening for me too. I had a track that was created using the curvy roads option, and it would crash my nav app. When I switched it to major roads (and readjusted some of the through points), it worked just fine.
  12. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    @draco_1967 ...I would suspect it was the points placement that were causing your Nav App to have issues since you were actually getting more track points when you switched to "Major roads."

Just out of curiosity, what Nav App were you using?
  13. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    That could be. Drive Mode Dashboard is the app I am using.