Help me improve Furkot, a free online road trip planner

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by melitele, Mar 3, 2014.

1. melitele

melitele Furkot Developer

Oddometer:
    For car and motorcycle trips Furkot routes over roads that it considers open to motorized traffic. We are working on adding a capability of routing over dirt tracks.

There are several things you can do that may help in the meantime.

There is a setting in the Trip drawer to avoid highways that makes Furkot favor lesser roads. Also putting more than one point on the desired road may convince Furkot to route over it.

You can also try to change your trip to bicycle or even walk (changing your speed accordingly or your timing will be way off) - that may give you access to a wider range of roads and tracks.

Alternatively if you have a gpx track (either recorded from a ride or exported from a tool that allows point by point drawing), you can import it into Furkot (using import icon above the list of trips). As long as you don't put any additional points on the desired part of the route Furkot will keep it.
  2. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    It would be awesome if there was a way to embed a trip, much like the ability that Google Maps has.

I believe it's implemented via an Iframe and there is some custom code that can be added to vbulletin and ipd to make it happen.
  3. melitele

Oddometer:
    You can embed a tripshot: use SHARE button in the Trip drawer and then PUBLISH to display a tripshot page. Look for the </> button to get the code to embed. More info about embedding tripshots: http://help.furkot.com/widgets/embed.html
  4. F800 Rob

F800 Rob MotoInsight

Oddometer:
    Well punch me out and call me Sally... That's awesome! :D
  5. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    This is a very nice app.
    I created a route from Houston to Vicksburg.
    Then I found the twisty roads function and well
    I may or may not get to Vickburg.

I exported it to a GPX file and sent it to my
    drop box and OSMAND loaded it just fine.

Nothing fancy just a good useful App.

Thanks!
    Da Monk
  6. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    it also imported the same route into Locus with no problems
  7. r3mac

r3mac Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just came across this. Spent the morning looking at a couple of trips. This fills in the gaps where plain google maps used to frustrate me.

The setting for the length of time spent traveling with a hard stop can mean theres a bit of fiddling around. In some places a motel or campsite is another 20 miles or so. Do the settings allow for individual days to be shortened or lengthened?

BTW good product.
  8. melitele

Oddometer:
    The best I can suggest for now is to increase the default length of time spent traveling by changing start a day and/or end a day times in the Trip drawer. And then increase duration or departure time on each lodging stop that you make permanent (either by using Keep button on automatically scheduled stops or by selecting a hotel/campground for a stop in the Sleep drawer or by typing an address and selecting option for overnight stay next to Duration). This will have an effect of shortening selected days although at the cost of throwing off actual times.

We are planning to alleviate this problem by adding more settings to control the length of day (including driving distance and length of individual days).

Sorry for the delayed response.
  9. Paulie

Paulie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi again, melitele

I tried to import a good .kml map. It's a 380 mi with a start & an end. It's got ~7 alterations from the default route.

But Furkot sez "Could not find any stops" so it's a no go. What to do?
  10. melitele

Oddometer:
    I'm sorry about that. I've made a fix and it should work for you now. If not, please send the KML file to [email protected] and I will try to determine why Furkot is not importing it.

In the meantime you can try to convert KML to GPX and import GPX.

And since we are on the topic: when importing KML file, Furkot only processes points and ignores routes, so even if KML imports correctly it may not be what you want because the trip may be routed differently. When importing GPX both points and routes are processed. We are planning to process routes in KML files in the future.
  11. Paulie

Paulie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah thanks, it works now.

When y'all proccess kml routes, let us know, that'll be great! :clap
  12. Belaflek

Belaflek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now I could be wrong but it looks like you are using Google API's and such. Is it possible to add the little street view guy to drop on a road to see what it may look like? That may be a little squirrly as street view likes to bust out full screen
  13. melitele

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely correct - Furkot is using Google Maps API although we are discussing transitioning out of it. In the meantime though we probably could offer a street view option - I'll see what I can do.
  14. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    I love this program, but I have another question.

I planned a route for next year, from Texas to Bear tooth pass and published it.
    It seems to work pretty well but it says I will make the trip in 2 days.
    Thats not quite right.
    I will ride hard to get past Denver and then slow down and see the sights. My trip should be published so you can see the BIG loop I am planning up through Wyoming and Montana. Then back home
    This trip will stretch over 10 days.
    How do I let it know that or do I need to?
    Can I just pick up where I left off?
    I will probably be using OSM or Navigator Free.

Thanks for a great product

Dave
  15. melitele

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your kind words.

From what I see you have only one overnight stop in your trip, hence 2 days. If all you care about is route to feed to the GPS device, it's OK but if you want to have real times as well, you should add stops where you are planning to spend the night. As well as any sights you want to stop at.

If you already added overnight and other stops but they are not reflected in the published tripshot, then you need to publish again. Publishing a trip creates a snapshot (a.k.a. tripshot) - further changes to the trip are not reflected until it is published again.

I hope that helps.
  16. melitele

Oddometer:
    In the recent update we've added both processing kml routes and street view. Enjoy.
  17. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can I share a Trip via email w/o giving people access to edit the trip?
  18. melitele

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. You have two options: tripshot and tripboard. Click Share button in the Trip drawer and then use Publish button for tripshot and Ask Around for tripboard. Both will display your trip in a way people will see it and both have buttons you can use to email. Tripshot is a static snapshot and won't reflect changes you do after crating it unless you click Publish again. Tripboard is dynamic and it also allows people to put suggestions into your trip. More about trip sharing in Furkot help: http://help.furkot.com/how-to/share-trip.html
  19. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah! Thanks! I totally glossed over the "Ask Around" button on that dialog. I kept thinking that you had to 'publish' the Trip first, which I was reluctant to do.

Edit - Not sure if I'm seeing the same thing that the email recipients would see. I'm just seeing a map w/ a green route on it and some waypoints. If I click on the waypoints, I don't see the same details that I see when 'editing' the trip (e.g., arrival time for a lunch stop, for example). Will the recipients see the details of the trip, like the departure/arrival times, custom waypoint marker, etc..?
  20. melitele

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, no. I didn't realize you want to share all the details of your trip, not just an overall view. Tripboard just shows positions of stops. Tripshot shows more details but not all (for instance it doesn't reveal actual dates) - it may work for you. By the way, unless you check the option to share with Furkot community, Publish button doesn't make your trip public. It just creates a snapshot that you can share. The snapshot won't change until you Publish again to reflect subsequent edits.

I'm sorry but we have no option to share a trip with all the information but no editing privileges. I'll add it to the list of future enhancements.

In the meantime, if tripshot doesn't work for you and you are (mostly) done with your trip plan, you can make a copy of it and Invite people to it. This way even if they edit something it won't mess up your actual plan. The best way to copy a trip is to Publish a tripshot and then click PLAN THIS TRIP on the tripshot page.

I hope that helps.