Help me pick out a modular helmet

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by snofrog, Jun 16, 2019.

1. snofrog

snofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have worn HJC full face helmets for a good long time . I now feel like trying a modular . Please give me your input on what to look for or stay away from. HJC has one with a smoke inner sunshield that looks promising . My reason for wanting to switch is wanting to flip it up at the gas station instead of full removal and wanting to be able to drink water while under way . Thanks in advance for your input .
  2. Blackhawk6d

Blackhawk6d Adventurer

Oddometer:
    snofrog likes this.
  3. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    The AT950 is great. For the price is really hard to beat. I got an HJC RPHA 90 and could not be happier. Lighter, more compact and very quiet, for a modular. My only gripe is the lower chin vent. When wearing the chin curtain there's not a lot of air moving. It can be a blessing or a curse.
    snofrog likes this.
  4. JoToPe

JoToPe JoToPe

Oddometer:
    Caberg Tourmax II.
    shearboy2004 and snofrog like this.
  5. TM1(SS)

TM1(SS) Matthew 24:36, Ride today, ride now :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a lot of experience with two modulars, both of which I really like. The Schuberth C3Pro, and the Shoei Neotec II. Both are excellent helmets. The chin bar release on the Shoei is easier than on the Schuberth, the field of view is wider with the Schuberth than the Shoei, those are the basic differences that I notice.
    snofrog likes this.
  6. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Second the at950. Motorcyclegear.com had them on sale for $200 shipped
    snofrog and Boricua like this.
  7. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a HJC RPHA Max modular and currently use a Scorpion AT950, drop down sunshield is a really useful feature and both worked well for me (mix of commuting and longer european travel).
    Only thing I'd say from trying on a lot of helmets over the past couple of years is that some Modular designs have a very limited space between the front of the helmet and my chin, really wanted to like the Shark Evo range but my chin was just too close to the helmet, try before you buy.
  8. fagro

fagro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AT950 gets my vote. Comfortable, quiet, versatile.
  9. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Yes AT950
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

I went the less expensive route when I got my first modulars and ended up just wasting money in the long run. I'm going to piss off a few people here but the reality is that there is only two quality modular helmets made...Schuberth and Shoei. Yes, I owned two of the lesser brands and their quality was markedly inferior to the Big 2. Since that time I've owned a Schuberth C3 and Shoei Neotec and either is a wonderful helmet. I've settled on the Neotec because it's the closest helmet to my beloved Arai's (the best helmet in the business).
    snofrog and TM1(SS) like this.
  11. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my HJC 90 except for one ear not fitting well and being a real problem as the day wears on. I read about this problem for some and thought not me but that is not how it turned out and it didn't become apparent until I couldn't return it. I did some surgery on it and it is better. Of course modulars can be heavy and generally noisy (I always wear plugs anyway). All that said, I am getting a new helmet soon and just use the HJC in winter when using a winter liner which helps the ear thing some. Weight is the big thing for me now and there has been a lot of improvement in this area, I think. Glasses are easier to deal with and often I have to use sunglasses due to riding directly into rising sun and internal visor is not dark enough.
    snofrog likes this.
  12. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    see this and his other reviews of nonmodular DS helments
  13. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was a big fan of the Scorpion modulars for many years...but the weight was putting a strain on my neck. I switched to the HJC and although the quality is not quite the same, they are lighter and a little quieter.
  14. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    My Caberg Tourmax has been okay, but as it ages my chin room has gotten even tighter.

My best advice is to figure out your head shape and get a snug fitting helmet that stays put without causing pain. I can wear the Tourmax all day without any hot spots, it's a solid mid oval fit. With HJC helmets I had to go too large, round head shape helmets always killed my forehead and I had to make due with sloppy loose fits.
    shearboy2004 likes this.
  15. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    Another for the AT950 here. It's the only modular I've used, but coming from a Shoei RF1200 and Fox MX helmets I really like it. It's quieter than I expected with the chin curtain on too.
  16. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    I don't get the "helmet weight" issue that others experience. Maybe its because of my gigantic noggin and associated neck muscles to support it.

I'm currently wearing a HJC-IS Max 2 and it's been great.

One of the things many worry about with modulars is that they may inadvertently open in an accident and cause worse injury.

Link to study on helmets: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/hjc-is-max-2/
  17. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    The answer to 'which helmet should I buy' is always the same. Find every modular you can possibly find, and try them all on. Narrow the search to the ones that fit perfectly. Once you've done that, only then worry about any other criteria, and narrow the search based on that criteria. If the result of that results in more than one helmet, then seek others' opinions.

I promise, I'm nto trying to be a smart ass...this is The Way to find the right helmet. After all, if a bunch of people here recommend a particular lid, but to you it feels like a cranial vise, what good does that do you?
  18. 2talltom

2talltom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Easier said than done. Most stores don't seem to carry much stock on hand, even less if you wear anything other than size medium. In my experience at least.
  19. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I have a decade experience between a Shoei Multitec and Neotec (not the Neotec II). Great helmets and you can’t go wrong with Shoei. Recently I picked up a Bell SRT Modular and so far I’m impressed with it. I especially like that I can get a transitions (pro tint) face shield for it.
  20. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I own an AT-950. Its not bad. It fits more snug that my other helmets. Not a cold weather helmet either. Very breezy. I think I'd buy it again if I had to.