Help me see/ride cool stuff! KTM 500 in ID-WA-OR-UT ~ August 2020

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ClutchDumpinDan, Jun 30, 2020.

1. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    I'm headed back to Wendover Utah and Bonneville Speedweek (August 8-14) this year to make another record attempt as part of the 640 XO/PP race team.

IMG_E8574.JPG

My "Help me see cool stuff" thread from 2018: https://advrider.com/f/threads/help-me-see-cool-stuff-bonneville-ut-to-va-mid-august.1329857/

2018 Ride Report: https://advrider.com/f/threads/off-...c-on-a-990r-but-first-dirt-in-canada.1333270/

Here's where you all come in again! :D After Speedweek, I plan to explore the northwest on my KTM 500. The plan thus far:

North on the IDBDR (maybe shoot over to Glacier NP)
    South on the WABDR with sights along the way
    Follow the Cascade Discovery Route that I just came across here on ADVrider down to southern OR
    Down to see Redwood NP (need a good route)
    East to Lassen Volcanic NP (need a good route)
    Back to the Wendover area (need a good route)

Route/waypoints thus far:

B'ville 2020 Route.png

I've ridden that TAT track I have on there but left it as a fall back option. Have already been to Crater Lake, Big Hole/Hole in the Ground but may stop by again depending on time/final route.

What else is there to see or ride along the way? Looking for scenic views, killer campsites, gnarly single track and tight twisty pavement. Not planning on stopping at cool towns, museums, tourist attractions this go around with the 'Rona raging like it is :cry. I plan to camp every night unless something goes wrong or the weather is blow-your-tent-over-terrible. And will be avoiding people as much as possible.

Realistically, I don't expect to go to Olympic NP. North Cascade NP is 50/50. Glacier NP is 50/50. I need to check the mileage but Redwood NP and Lassen NP may not make the cut either.

Once I'm back to Wendover Utah, the 500 is getting loaded on my van and I'm headed to Southern Utah for some hiking, backpacking and riding the gnarliest stuff I can find. More on that part of the trip later :D
    phreakingeek and DCrider like this.
  2. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Dan if you need anything when in southern UT ping me as my bro lives in St. George. Wish I could meet you out there my te510 is sitting in his trailer waiting for me to return and go braaaap!
    ClutchDumpinDan likes this.
  3. phreakingeek

phreakingeek Big Ear Inc - Virginia Provider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh man, another epic trip in the works! Cant wait for the RR to start.
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like Epicness (my new word for the day). Love to give you some tips but pretty much everything out there is unknown territory for me.

Kidnap me and send my boss a ransom note.
  5. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Bumping this back up. Less than a week until I leave so I better figure out where I’m going :uhoh

IDBDR is a definite go. Depending on terrain/weather/mood I may head to Southern UT and spend more time there than WA and OR. Then head over to SW CO for Blackbear pass (impassable due to snow when I was there a few years ago) and other good stuff.
    DCrider likes this.
  6. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Can’t remember if you hit 3 Step Hideaway in Southern UT on one of your other trips? 45 minutes S of Moab, neat off the grid (literally) ranch catering to ADV riders. Scott & Julie took great care of us for 4 days last Sept., endless trails close by, far enough away from Moab to avoid the hordes of 4 wheelers. White Rim Trail is close.

Nice shop on site too. https://3stephideaway.com/

Looking forward to your report on the IDBDR. Have a great ADVenture & stay safe.