1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Needed for Mexico Plan

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Pax, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Pax

Pax shazam.

Oddometer:
    Esteemed ADVers!

I've searched for info around the Morelia area and have come up with relatively little for adventure touring. I'm motoing down this June/July to stay in Patcuaro and I'm looking for some fabulous rides in the surrounding regions. The entire point of this trip is to spend time touring around Mexico.

We are going to drive down so we are looking for suggestions about definite must-sees along the way. Will you help in generating ideas? :ear

-Pax
  2. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    What route will you take to Morelia?
  3. Pax

Pax shazam.

Oddometer:
    That is completely open for consideration at this time. We are talking about hitting it from somewhere south of you (Houston) and driving down. Where do you think the best crossing would be and what route would you take?

Thanks. -P

4. Genghis Swan

Genghis Swan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The drive around Lake Patzcuaro is pretty cool. there are some small pyramid ruins on the lake shore in a couple different places. You will also go through a bunch of small villages. Great scenery.
    The ride up to Santa Clara Del Cobre is nice. Great place to buy giffts as the whole village makes things out off copper.
  5. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    Well, there are different schools of thought in regard to border crossings. My favorite is Nuevo Laredo. I can give you detailed directions on the border crossing and a route out of town. Nuevo Laredo is actually very visible on Goggle Earth and it's a fairly simple matter to build a route for a gps. From Laredo, you'd probably want to hit the toll road to Monterrey. South of Monterrey, there are some fairly cool mountains. I've been to those mountains from the Saltillo side but not through Monterrey. Others here might be more helpful. South of Monterrey, there's Real De Catorce, a mandatory stop. It's west of Matehuala. You'll want to stop in both Guanajuato and San Miguel De Allende.

The more you can stay off main highways and ride the narrow, sometimes poorly paved, secondary roads of Mexico the more adventure you'll find. The best times I've had in Mexico were in out-of-the-way villages where gringos were seldom seen. People are darn friendly in rural Mexico. Hell, even the folks who grow marijuana in rural Mexico are friendly as long as you're not messing with the product.
  6. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    By the way, the best online maps are at maps-of-mexico.com Look for the state maps. Nearly every goat trail is documented. The best Mexico road atlas, (I know of,) is the Guia Roji map available at amazon.com.
  7. Pax

Pax shazam.

Oddometer:
    Both your posts are super-helpful! I'll PM you about the border crossing in the next couple days. Thanks! -Pax

8. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    After crossing Bridge Number One into Mexico, take the first possible right, and then another right at the first street intersection. After that, go about one block. You should see a large parking lot with tourists on your right. Park and enter the building.

You'll need either a title for each vehicle or a state registration in the name of the person driving the vehicle. A title is better. You'll be getting two things, a vehicle permit and a visitor permit.

You get the visitor permit first at the immigration desk. The Spanish word for immigration escapes me but it's close to the English term. Tell them you're staying longer than you plan to stay in the event you don't make it out on time. I tell them I'm staying the max time of 6 months. To get the visitor's permit you'll need a passport, or a birth certificate. The passport is better.

After getting the visitor's permit from immigration, you'll go to the bank window for the vehicle permit. Everything is marked. (A little spanish helps things along.) You'll need either a title for each vehicle or a state registration--- in the name of the person driving the vehicle. A title is better. At some point they'll send you for copies of your ID, your visitor's permit, and your title. They'll also ask for a credit card. You'll be charged like $40 for the visitor permit and the vehicle permit. They will charge another $300 or so if the vehicle permit isn't returned before it expires. (The bike has to be present when you turn in the vehicle permit.)

After you've gotten those two things, you're ready to enter the interior of Mexico. Turn left when you leave the parking lot and go back in the direction you came. When you reach the dead end, take a right. Follow that road all the way to the Cuota, (toll road,) to Monterrey. (About 7 miles.) You should see plenty of signs directing you to Monterrey. There's also a libre, (free,) road but it's normally congested with hundreds of slow moving trucks. The toll road is about $14 and worth every penny. The highway is better than most interstates in the US.

I'll continue later.
  9. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    One more thing, in order to get the vehicle permit you'll need a driver's license with a photo.
  10. Big Single

Big Single Tejas

Oddometer:
    You CAN buy insurance for your bike after crossing into Mexico but, when I do buy insurance, I prefer buying it before I cross from home. My bike is old and has been paid off for years. I don't buy insurance. Sure, there's risk involved but hell...if you get whacked in Mexico you're probably not going to survive anyhow. No official will ask for your insurance unless you have an accident.