HELP NEEDED - In Lima (Peru) with a leaking rear suspension (GSA 2010)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by marcoue, Nov 28, 2016.

1. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all.

I changed my tires this morning at Touratech Lima and found out that the rear suspension is leaking. I did ride in very bad conditions last week with all my luggage. BMW R1200 GSA 2010, 70000km

Your opinion is needed. Can I continue towards Ushuaia like this, riding along the coast, at low altitude (I was told the high altitude may make thing worst) or do I absolutely need a new rear suspension?

Touratech Lima and Touratech Santiago are both working on quotes for that part

Plug & Travel ESA Upgrade Rear Shock Item # 044-5830

Appart from the outrageous price, my concern is the time it'll take from Germany to here!

Original RR thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/canada2argentina-going-outside-to-play-fo-6-months.1158776/

Attached Files:

2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    When the last of the fluid is gone your rear shock will become a pogo stick. It makes riding quite uncomfortable, as well as unsafe. I would get a used shock as a temporary fix.
  3. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you say Pogo stick, you mean stiff? I'm afraid a used shocks aren't very easy to find here! At least not at BMW, the new part is 5000$! And not available for many weeks.
  4. gundrted

gundrted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow thats expensive.

My rear sock did the same thing on my 09. It has nothing to do with altitude. The OEM shocks just sock.

I would suggest finding a used rear shock or cheap new one for the remainder of the trip. You can swap in a non-ESA shock and it won't hurt the bike. Just put a zip-tie and baggie over the connectors.

Send your old shock home and when you get home do a Wilbers ESA setup front and rear. You can then sell the shock you got in Peru and get a little of the cost back.
    marcoue likes this.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    marcoue likes this.
  6. gundrted

gundrted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    spokester and marcoue like this.
  7. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Forget the BMW shocks too expensive and fail too early.

Get in touch with Ted at the Beemershop.com and get him to freight you a Tractive shock. Tractive make 100% of the shocks for Touratech. The shocks are great value and work really well. They handle the heavy loads really well. Get Ted to urgent freight a shock - shock is approx us$1000 you will need the BMW shock preloader to fit on the Tractive.
    marcoue likes this.
  8. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all.

After a lot of research, my best bet is to try to get to Santiago, Chile, and get a new one at http://motouring.cl/. They have Wilbers with ESA in stock.

There is also http://www.pedroschile.cl/web/ in Santiago as well that can repair it for 250$.

The other option is to pay a fortune for a Touratech, but needs to get here from Germany, so a couple of weeks stuck in Lima.

I tend to be more in favor of a replacement than a repair... I'm trying to find out if the Wilbers will be under warranty in North America.

Unfortunately, it also means a more direct route south... Might have to skip Bolivia.

:(
  9. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd have a big, long breakfast, drink an extra mug of coffee, and call Ted Porter in a few hours. If he has what you need in stock, which is entirely possible, I'll bet he could get it shipped out ASAP after payment cleared. Better yet, type out a concise but detailed email to him now, and then call in a few hours to follow up with him. That way, he'll know your specific preferences: weight w/ gear, add'l load, roads, speed, etc.

If I just couldn't stop myself from riding on with the failing shock, I'd a.) lighten my load as much as possible and ship that ahead, b.) slow down considerably while, like you mention, avoiding esp. poor roads, and c.) try to stand as much as possible so that my knees supplement the suspension (which will be very bad).

Dropping $5K for Touratech re-branded product produced by another company seems crazy to me, but they've gotta pay for those glossy catalogs and free stickers somehow.
    Cdub!, Roadscum and ghostryder like this.
  10. marcoue

marcoue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did call yesterday but he's away in Europe for 2 weeks. Left a message. Will be slowly making my way to Santiago tomorrow! Will use the main road (the 5) which is, as I remember it, like a nice carpet all the way there!
  11. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lost the fluid out of my R100GS shock in Batipolis. The bike became a pogo stick. Coming out of the canyon (fairly rough dirt roads) power had to be applied only when the rear tire was on the ground. Coming across the US to North Carolina much care had to be taken. On cement highways that have expansion joints it was important to not be at the wrong speed. If the timing is wrong the bounce from expansion joints was additive and the rear tire would leave the ground (kind of exciting at 65 mph).

Jon
    marcoue likes this.
  12. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    I may have a solution for you. FedEx will ship. Riding with a blown shock is perfectly normal in many parts of the world, FYI, just take it easy. Send me a PM
    marcoue likes this.
  13. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer

Oddometer:
    It can be done, but risky.
    marcoue likes this.
  14. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Being in Lima is not without risk, and sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    Some countries down in SA have horrendous import duties, some won't let you import used parts.
    And if customs has a bad hair day......
    spokester and marcoue like this.
  15. Ron Earp

Ron Earp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's just a shock, a damper, and if you are on smooth roads you'll probably only notice that the bike oscillates more when you go over a bump/dip, but nothing dangerous. The weight is still carried by the spring. Now, if you're exploring off-pavement it's probably not going to work out for you because it'll be extremely difficult to ride with no no spring control.

I'd get to civilization and try and get a used unit or see if you can get someone to rebuild it. Altitude does not matter to the shock as it is (was, leaking now) a sealed unit and won't care if it is at 1 atm or 0.75 atm pressure.
    marcoue likes this.
  16. Bikerboy108

Bikerboy108 Pat from Jersey

Oddometer:
    seems like a lot of options.. Touratech the worst
  17. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer

Oddometer:
    He will notice the difference. Going into a corner the spring will compress then oscillate as the spring unloads, not for the faint of heart.

Jon
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  18. Ron Earp

Ron Earp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    He'll probably notice, true, but if he can travel on smooth pavement he can get somewhere to repair the machine. I have ridden bikes with completely shot shocks and it's doable. And, even though his are leaking he might still have some damping action going on. He can check that easily with a quick ride. In fact, given he didn't notice the problem until the wheel change, and hasn't complained about the bike, I suspect it is very ridable. A tiny amount of oil goes a long way toward making a mess.
    Carlo Muro and marcoue like this.
  19. pistole

pistole Long timer

Oddometer:
    agree with above and the fact that his machine is heavily loaded down will dampen the "pogo" action.
    marcoue likes this.
  20. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    Crank up the preload as much as possible, or to it's highest setting.
    marcoue likes this.