1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Help planning a trip to Mexico

Discussion in 'Americas' started by r1ckj01, Jan 20, 2008.

1. r1ckj01

r1ckj01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi I am new to this forum and was hoping that I could get some help planning a trip to <st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> and maybe further south. I am leaving mid February and traveling till it starts getting warm back in the <st1:place>Midwest</st1:place>
    Mostly I am looking for some travel advice in <st1:country-region><st1:place>Mexico</st1:place></st1:country-region> and places to see and villages to go to. The Roads, Places to stay, Border crossings, Things to bring to use and to trade. Cell Phone use, How to travel with money or Credit card, Tires any thing you can help me with to lessen my surprises I would appreciate. I have never ridden down that way.
    I am a seasoned long distance traveler having logged more than 200,000 miles and am ridding a 2000 f650.
    Thank you for reading this and ready for your input.

Rick
    rickj01@sbcglobal.net
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rick,

Here are my thoughts...

Mexico may well be the most common destination for people on this forum. I made a trip this past summer and am in the process of posting a ride report. There are dozens (hundreds?) of other Mexican ride reports.

You can find numerous threads in the Outer Darkness regional forum, as well as more information in the Trip Planning forum.

I strongly suggest you spend several hours for several days, reading others' questions, and reading about other people's experiences in Mexico. Those stories will answer most of your questions.

Once you've worn your eyes out reading, come up with a list of specific questions you have regarding travel in Mexico. Many of us will be happy to point you in the right direction.

And just so my post isn't completely free of Mexican advice: Just go. Mexico isn't the war-torn, third-world wasteland that some folks make it out to be. It's a modern country with widely available food, gasoline, lodging, and motorcycle parts/mechanics. The people talk a little funny, and they use Monopoly money, but that's about it.

Jamie
  3. Roadslayer

Roadslayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. Roadslayer here. Semi-Newbee. I agree with Jamie. Read up on others posts. Otherwise I'll get typing and be here all night. Just go. My first time was 1993.Solo from NW Washington to Cabo San Lucas. Ferried from LaPaz to Los Mochias and home. Since then I've ridden solo around Chijuajua(sp). The 'little lady' and I rode duallies to Batopilas,Copper Canyon and and all around Baja for our 3rd time in October '06. We're in our late '50s buy the way. '93 marked the end of Baja being 3rd World. Just go.:freaky

'Cheers' Roadslayer
  4. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    There's a moto-friendly hotel in Zacatacas (central Mexico), which is a beautiful place to visit. Email Frederico at tarzanruiz@hotmail.com and I'm sure that he can help you out with local road information in addition to quality accomodations for you and your bike :thumb

You can get some ideas of distances, routes and things to see from my report here: http://www.dantesdame.com/05mexico.htm
    Sorry there aren't more photos - ipods are not always your friend for media storage :baldy
  5. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    Hey Rick ... Pick 5 main cities you want to hit in your theoretical loop and I can help you form there.
  6. iroman

iroman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey rick, I'm planning the same thing for next year, let me know how it is, I'm a Mexican living in So.Cal. and it would be my first trip on my F650GS. Let me know how it goes. Good luck.
  7. FutureBoy

FutureBoy Meandering around

Oddometer:
    Rick,

It's already been said well - spend the time meandering around the adv site and most, if not all, of your questions will have been answered. I just returned from a solo trip throughout Baja and got virtually all my info from the advice long posted here.

But there's nothing that can completely prepare you for the experience of simply being there, and thus the push to "just go." It's adventure you're looking for, and the nature of adventure is that it's outside your sphere of comfort. Certainly you can plan and prepare, as you should, but Mexico is an easy international trip to make so get your gear and make it happen.

Gas on, hang on.:freaky