Help putting my music on a NAV V and then linking through my Sena?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by canoeguy, Nov 1, 2018.

1. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    SO I have had the bike a couple of years and still haven't linked the Nav V to its fullest potential. I don't even have my phone linked to the Nav V. Right now I am playing music from my phone but the storage is limited.

I met a fellow at Barber who briefly explained the process to me but I was wondering if anyone else could give me a simple rundown. I will be downloading music from ITunes if I can figure out how.

I know he said I would have to un-link my phone from the Sena and basically run it all through the Garmin.
  2. Podman

Podman Rocketman

Oddometer:
    Don’t waste your time. I have been down that road and eventually went back to just keeping it on my iPhone. Having it on my NAV had no benefit what so ever.
    VanXR likes this.
  3. mrb867

mrb867 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Bluetooth from either my phone or Nav V. The trick is how it is linked and in what order I turn things on. I put music (.mp3) on a sd card inside of the Garmin that I listen to on my Sena 20S. I believe I synced the phone to the Garmin first then the Garmin to the Sena. I turn on my Sena first then power to the bike / Garmin and things will connect then. From there using the wonder wheel I move over to the media player and can select playlists or genres or albums etc and listen along.
  4. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    I've had good luck doing what you want, I have ~30 gigs of music on my NAV V and use it as a music server on my bike and in cages. Couple of points though.

I have used a 64 gig card but the indexing time was very slow so now I'm back to a 32 gig. The Nav will not recognize Apple format (AAC) files, they must be MP3. I use a free app called DoubleTwist to sync between my iTunes library and the GPS. It's slow but works well. I don't use my phone as a phone on the bike but I do have it paired with the Nav for the weather and traffic via Garmin SmartLink, pair the phone to the GPS first and then pair the GPS to the SENA. If for some reason I want the phone I pair it to the SENA in addition to the Nav. Make sure you pair the GPS to the SENA as a phone though.
  5. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a link on the Sena website that shows how to do it. I think it's link the Nav V as primary and phone as secondary. I've also done it but just gone back to the phone and pandora or Spotify. I too had a 32 gig card and indexing was still slooowww.
  6. judgedelta

judgedelta Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is no doubleTwist app on my phone app store???
  7. Longrider9

Longrider9 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have my music loaded (mp3 format) onto an SD card which is inserted into my Nav V.
    In order to listen to music from the SD card, you have to load 1 MP3 song onto the hard drive of the Nav V.
    That allows me to listen to my music from Nav V on my Sena SMH10.
  8. Steve W

Steve W Old Grouch

Oddometer:
    The app runs on a PC or a Mac and syncs to your device. I assumed that your iTunes library was on a computer. Sorry if I misled. The link in my original post is to the website.

9. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I connected my Sena 10U to Nav first then my iPhone after that I connected Nav to iPhone. I also have 16 gig mini SD card with music install into the Nav. I can play music thru Nav or iPhone and when I have phone call I have choice take it direct from the phone via Sena or take the call thru Nav via Sena. Make sure when you pair your Nav to Sena select Device pairing for the Nav and phone pairing for your phone. This way devices doesn't over write each other.
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    skip the insanity that is trying to pair things to the Garmin and just play directly from the phone.