1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP: Water level of Macquaire River at Dixons Long Point?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by seancampbell, Sep 11, 2020.

1. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been across the Macquarie River at Dixons Long Point recently?

I'm leading a group on a 7 day, 3000km ride starting next weekend and wanted to cross the river and camp at Dixons Long Point. Last time I was there it was in the middle of the drought and I just wanted to know current water levels.

If I'm honest, I've got some first time adventure riders coming and I don't want to push them beyond their ability and knock their confidence on the first day, plus drowned big adventure bikes suck.

We have a backup 4x4 coming and that's why I originally selected Long Point Rd over the Bridal Track (vehicle access). Going to meet backup crew at Hill End pub and wanted to camp nearby.

Happy to hear other options for routes/camping areas and heading through Orange day 2. (just trying to avoid sending the support car on a long back track to detour to the next days campsite)

Sean
  2. KLEaner

KLEaner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't been through personally recently, but there has been rain in the catchment area in the past few weeks and the country looks amazing! The levels fluctuate pretty quickly with rain and there is still a bit of runoff in the surrounding areas. if not able to go through, there are a couple of good options to skirt around. 12 mile/Wuuluman Rd to Wellington then back way through Stuart Town (Ironbark!) to Orange. Otherwise Hill End, Sallys Flat, Crudine backroads through to Orange. Just watch out for some traffic around the Aarons Pass/Crudine area as there is a Wind Farm under construction on a 6/7 day a week program at present. Fair amount of traffic around start finish times and oversize components still coming through at different times.
    Sounds like a fun ride!
    Ian
    seancampbell and Ron50 like this.
  3. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler

Oddometer:
  4. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plenty of potential to cut the trip really short and disappointing with novices. Many usually dry tributaries still flowing and even in drought the big round slimy rocks could cause a big adventure bike to come to grief. So I'd pick an alternative.

Drought level
    Macquarie crossing long point (2).JPG
    toecutta and seancampbell like this.
  5. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the ephemeral creeks are still flowing and the Campbell River still looks like something that almost deserves to be called a river instead of a large drain. Turon is back up at Sofala after this week's rain thou I think still at an easy level for crossing.
    seancampbell likes this.
  6. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're coming in from the north-west to head to Orange I highly recommend the road from Crudine through Turondale to Eglinton. Even though it's all sealed now it's a hoot on any type of bike.

Then diverting through the Ophir area on the way to Orange gives nice choices for camping. There's also the historic aspect - the start of Australia's population explosion with the discovery of gold.

Ophir crossing.JPG
    seancampbell likes this.
  7. seancampbell

seancampbell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the ideas.

Our second day is a big day and we need to get out past West Wyalong so I don't want to add too many K's. Looks like any detour will add a few K's so might have to look at doing the crossing.

Worst case scenario is anyone who's concerned can catch a ride across with their bike in the support trailer?
    Ron50 likes this.
  8. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glass half full: leaves more to explore for the next trip.
    seancampbell likes this.