Help with 7" Cyclops Rally Light

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Rich2wd, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Rich2wd

Rich2wd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day all, I know some of you guys with Super Enduros have the 7" Cyclops Rally Light http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=products&id=94 so I'm hoping you can help me out. I need the following dimensions:

1. The width measurement between the 'legs' of the headlight surround
    2. The measurement from the fork to the centre of the pin (or hole) on the fork bracket

Cheers Rich
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pin to pin is 188mm
    From inside or outside radius of fork standoffs is 20MM
  3. Rich2wd

Rich2wd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day Darryl, the most important measurement for me is the distance between the pins not centre of pin to centre of pin.

Cheers Rich
  4. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    The distance from inside of pins is 180MM I hope that helps
  5. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    Best light I've owned by the way.
  6. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    NICE LIGHT

gotta get one

I like that size better than the usual 8"

does it come in driving light and spot ?
  7. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan!!

This is a driving light, not to be confused with a race light, it offers a DOT legal high and low beam with an H4 bulb
  8. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:

I love this light as well!
  9. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also like this setup (and dislike the oem glowing carrot which is close to suicidal at evenings this time of the year with 400 kg moose now and then popping out on the road) BUT is there any dia 8" light available somewhere?
  10. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    also , the stock headlamp housing is unsafe
    it sends refracted light straight up in front of you , blinding the rider in fog and dust
  11. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Not that I am aware of, the 7 inch is a hella reflector and to my knowlage is the largest available that uses the H4 high/low bulb.
  12. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Yup,,,
    I've been through just about every light maufaturers catalog and once you step up to 8", they become single beam racing style lights.
  13. Rich2wd

Rich2wd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I went with the 7" Rally Light from Cyclops Motorsports. I have to say if the product is as good as the customer service that Darryl provides I'll be very happy. Darryl patiently answered all of my many questions.

Now for the wait as the postman delivers it half way around the world.....

Cheers Rich
  14. It'sNotTheBike

It'sNotTheBike Banned

Oddometer:
    I've got one of the TrailTech + Hella lights and I bought it from Darryl at Cyclops. I could
    not be happier with the service I received from Cyclops.

One of the best things about the 7" Hella conversion is that you can use a
    bulb of higher wattage if you want more light output.

Many stock headlights these days use a plastic lens and perhaps also a plastic
    reflector. This means using a higher wattage bulb is not always a safe thing to do
    because the higher temperatures caused by the higher-wattage bulb can damage the
    reflector and possibly the lens too. Once the damage is done the light output is
    significantly reduced and you would need to replace the light because repair of plastic
    reflectors is not possible.

The Hella is made of steel and glass. Higher wattage H4 bulbs are safe to use in the Hella, provided
    the rest of the electrical system is also able to deal with the additional current draw. I have used 80/100
    watt H4 bulbs in the exact same 7 inch Hella lights as found in the Cyclops light, for many years in my cars,
    and the increased light output is wonderful, though high beams are far too powerful to use when there are
    oncoming vehicles.

Many stock motorcycle wiring harnesses will not be up to the task of a higher wattage bulb, so for
    best results use of a relay and heavier gauge wire ( I like to use 12 gauge ( AWG ) = 2.05mm diameter )
    is a good idea. When wired correctly the relay brings power directly from the
    battery to the bulb, and this prevents the headlight switch from being damaged
    due to excess heat caused by the higher electrical current draw, for which most headlight switches
    were not designed.

The use of heavier wire and a relay means the bulb will receive the voltage it was
    designed for, rather than a lower voltage which would result in less light output.
    Light output drops dramatically with even a small voltage drop, and it is worthwhile to
    use a volt meter to check the voltage at the connector which mates with the bulb
    to see whether 12 volts is present or whether the voltage is in fact lower. If the voltage
    is lower than 12 volts heavier wire and a relay is a good idea, even if you do not intend
    to use higher wattage bulbs.

The Hella with a good 80/100 watt bulb is a powerful and well-focused light. If the
    electrical system of the bike will support such loads I think it is one of the best light
    options available. The E-Code low beam with its sharp cutoff is much less likely to blind drivers in
    oncoming vehicles, and is street legal which is nice when your vehicle needs to pass an inspection
    in order to be used on public roads.

15. Off Road Ryder

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words guys. I always do my best.. Much appreciated!!!
    Coolhand Juke likes this.
  16. bgw2go

bgw2go Wanna Be Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bump for future reference.
    Boatman likes this.
  17. klebs01

klebs01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about getting a 7" Rally Light for a DR650, but would like to mount my GPS to it. Can you post a picture of the mounting plate, and (if possible) a GPS unit mounted to it?

Thanks!