Help with first bike! (Big/tall)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by bjerringbeast, Jul 27, 2019.

1. bjerringbeast

bjerringbeast n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys
    Om getting my license soon, so i have started my hunt for a bike. I really like the Adventure and motard style bikes, but but i have no idea which bike to go for. Im a big dude (6'5/310), so do you guys have any recommended bikes to look for?
    Dont know of this thread is posted at the correct place since im new here, so let me know if i need to change it :)
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Ktm s.a.....get the r version

Bullet proof .reliable .tall .spacious. different engine choices too...

Winner...

Mines been perfect 2 years in, used off rd and European tours two up...
    bjerringbeast likes this.
  3. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple of questions for you. Are you new to Motorcycling? What kind of terrain will you mainly be doing eg paved roads, gravel roads etc.. ??There are a lot of great adventure bikes out there, the answers to these questions will help with suggesting a bike that best fits your needs.
    neanderthal and bjerringbeast like this.
  4. bjerringbeast

bjerringbeast n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for helping out! Yes im a total beginner to motorcycling, and my driving would mostly be on paved roads. But having the opportunity to drive through Gravel/forrest roads is something i would love to do aswell, so i Guess im going kinda going for some allround machine.. any suggestions is taken kindly :)
  5. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll no doubt get a lot of opinions on this but personally I'd recommend a Suzuki Vstrom 650 then. Great super reliable bike, makes decent but not crazy power and has a fairly large frame so should fit you just fine. They are a happy on pavement as well as gravel roads. Also consider a Kawaski versys 650 but my choice would be the Suzuki. Happy hunting.
    LexLeroy, EddieFL and bjerringbeast like this.
  6. Randyincolo

Randyincolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki KLR 650, without a doubt.
  7. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second the vstrom 650 choice.
  8. bjerringbeast

bjerringbeast n00b

Oddometer:
    Any ideas if theres an motard bike on the market that suits a bigger rider?
  9. wyosam

wyosam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t know the answer to the Motard question, but I’ll third the dl650. Can be had cheap (all years are a good place to start). Peg lowering kit (cheap and easy) and a tall seat can help with comfort if needed. Might even just find a used one from a tall person anyway. It’s a good, reliable all around machine, and if you buy used, don’t beat it up too much, and decide you want something else in a year or two you can probably sell it for what you paid for it.
  10. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Budget ?
  11. bjerringbeast

bjerringbeast n00b

Oddometer:
    Budget is not a problem, just looking for any help i can get :)
  12. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well as has been suggested, Wee Strom is a good un, its physically a big bike so suits bigger people. Plus Vee Strom for more stomp. Plus there's the Super Tenere 12, but its heavy at 260kg.
    But my main suggestion would be the new Tenere T7. Its not too heavy and not mental powerful for new riders, according to ride reports it rides great on the road and it'll be better offroad than the Stroms. And its also a Yam, with a proven engine, so it'll be reliable with long service intervals.
  13. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6 foot 7 inches. 245 lbs. Own Husky SM610 < you will even have trouble swinging leg over seat at your height> .
    If I was in the market for a newer adv scoot. My leanings would be toward checking out the new the Moto Guzzi 85TT.

For a turn key big man motard scooter.

Example Link
    lithodave, CCitis and bjerringbeast like this.
  14. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get some motorcycle safety training, thinking. Then drive your Car, like you learned in training or you just wasted your time and maybe some skin.Get a Light weight bike and learn to ride and use the engine As you learn to ride. This you wont get on a powerful bike as it will easily get you in past your experience. Then as your ability starts to match you confidence maybe go up in engine size but test a few bikes. a versys 300, klx 250 depending on how much expressway time you will be riding. Just call them part of your education, Ride Not drive safely, always first on your mind.
  15. steve68steve

steve68steve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Didn't read all replies, but I'm sure they're already mentioned:

Kawasaki KLR650
    Suzuki DL650 V Strom

Both bikes have been on the market for a long time, so there are lots of cheap, used, bikes; lots of aftermarket support; and lots of guys who know how to fix them.

Both are sized to be comfortable for a larger rider. Having said that, no bike caters to big people or fits them as built. You may still need to lower foot pegs, raise handlebars, or even raise the rear suspension with shorter dogbone/ raising links. Both of these bikes are a good starting point, tho.
    Check out https://cycle-ergo.com/

I've had both of these bikes and I'm also 6'5", weigh between 285 lb and 325 lb over my m/c career.

Both are forgiving for inexperienced riders. The KLR you can usually even drop without damage - I did. For that reason alone, I'd start with a KLR. It will also be less intimidating off pavement than the VStrom.
    lithodave and bjerringbeast like this.
  16. bjerringbeast

bjerringbeast n00b

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate all the help from you guys! You are great :)
  17. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    To start with your education, replace the word "drive" with the word "ride". You are a rider now. Unless of course they refer to motorcycle riders as drivers in your country.

I second the suggestion to start out with a lower power, lighter bike. The first year plan should be to learn to ride as safely as possible. Extra horsepower and weight will get you in trouble rather quickly.

You might consider buying an older used bike. Then you won't feel as bad when you fall over in the driveway. A lot of times you can resell the bike a year later at around the same price you paid for it. At that point you can buy your dream bike.

There were some excellent suggestions above. I personally ride a Vstrom, though it's a 1000. Way too much bike for you right now. But the 650 is nice.

I owned a Honda XR650L years ago. At that time it was one of the tallest bikes on the market. I am tall and it was hard to throw a leg over, but I could flat foot it. Meaning as I sat on the bike, both my feet touched the ground. That's something you will never have to worry about. But the XR is more dirt and side roads oriented. Highways weren't a lot of fun after a while.

Good luck. Welcome to motorcycling!
  18. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    KLR 650 OR VSTROM 650 would be a great start.
  19. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YES! Drives me nuts. Jay Leno owns like 150 bikes and says "Drive", along with a few others on Youtube. You are riding an motorcycle, flying an airplane, driving a car.
  20. Andreim92

Andreim92 Lost

Oddometer:
    I'd say to get a Tenere 700, that's gonna be the bomb in reliability, very predictable, very easy to ride. More than enough performance. Everyone who rode it loved it !! STarting at 9300 euro it's also cheap for anyone in the west part of Europe lol.