Help with first bike! (Big/tall)

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by bjerringbeast, Jul 27, 2019.

1. GreatWhiteHunter

GreatWhiteHunter Lovin' Life! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'6" and 265. I love the dual sports because they typically just fit. For a noob please consider the DR650, XR650 or KLR650. A big single that's designed for on and off road fun will help you learn how to manage a bike without the weight and power of a road bike to help you get into major trouble. Also, if and when you drop one of these off road you're not looking at major expenses for repairs.

Once you have more riding experience then you should be able to make up your own mind about what direction to go.
    sherloc and lithodave like this.
  2. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    my vote is to go for a nice used 2009-2011 Vstrom 650
  3. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Get a vstrom 650.....

And be bored and grow out of it and its dull performance-fast...

If you want small tenere700 ..ktm 790 1090
  4. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m 5.9” at most weigh about 200 pounds and find the DL650 a small bike . Rode the first gen and last gen . Great bikes but not for a guy your size . Budget not a problem I would look for a KTM950S or 990R . If you want a Thumper Go for a KLR, DR650 or KTM640 Adventure . I would look at old BMWR 1150 GSA as well . Unless you really want to do a lot of off-road in which case get an off-road orients bike like a Husky or KTM.

North Rider
  5. lithodave

lithodave brachy850

Oddometer:
    For a first motorcycle, forget the multicylinder KTMs. They're Ridiculous street bikes with six CPUs and too much horsepower. (To coin a phrase). You want a Simple bike for beginners. Not crazy power. Reliable and fun. Not frightening. Not something that spends half its life at the dealerships shop chasing electronic bullshit.. zThe big ktms are Far, far from bulletproof or reliable. Do some reading on other threads about this. Suzukis a good suggestion. DL 1000? Look at the big KTMs for your second or third bike.
    sherloc likes this.
  6. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:

Complete bollocks, test ride a 1090..or 1290 if wanting more, youl be fine with a 1090...
  7. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you are new to riding but a big guy and planning to ride mostly pavements I would suggest (as few guys above) V Strom 650. If money is not a problem go for 2017 and up. I've had all of them (Wee, Wee2, Wee3) and the last one is the best. In my case XT. Good luck.
    lithodave likes this.
  8. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you are new to motorcycles, the VStrom would be an excellent choice. Frame is big enough for a tall guy (I’m 6’4”/200+ Ibs), and bike works really well. Being new to riding, you need to get the fundamentals down and get comfortable with the dynamics of riding. Also, @310 lbs, plan on replacing the rear and possibly front fork springs.

Once you have some time\ mileage on the wee storm, then you can look at the heavy weight ADV bikes..

YMMV

Craig
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    First bike ever?
    Well setup KLR gen 1.
    No big deal if you drop it and easy to ride.
    GreatWhiteHunter likes this.
  10. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This. Get a KLR, ride that for a bit, see what you think about it (riding a motorcycle and that seating position), and step up to something with more power.

OP...6'3" & 270 lbs when I got my a KLR. It's a great bike to learn on. It doesn't have too much power, the weight is manageable, and it's fun to tinker with. I had a lot of bolt-ons by the time I sold it.

You will most likely drop your first bike at some point. Do that with a x < $5k bike, rather than a $20k+ one.

Edit: stale thread, lol.
  11. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    For a big guy, it's not just about seat height. It's about spaciousness. Some tall bikes are tight.

A KLR650 is pretty spacious for a Japanese thumper. A DR650 can easily be made pretty spacious...taller seat, lower peg mounts, peg-lowering brackets, pivoting bar-risers, taller bars, taller RM/DR-Z forks, raising links, appropriate spring/damping upgrades and sag, passenger-peg lowering brackets, and skid-mounted touring pegs.

The larger Huskies and KTMs tend to fit tall people well too, when you're ready for more power and $$.