Help with mapping for GPSmap 60csx

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by bmwktmbill, Nov 9, 2010.

1. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    just tried myself.
    that has to be the worst performing website of all time.

i did execute a test however.
    -click on the box next to reset at the top.
    -click the tiles & then enter email on the left side above the map and build it.

guess we'll see what shows up.

...just got an email with a 98mb mapsorce installer of all of central america.
    if this works and it's routable that will be way cool!

it's installed (mapsource .exe installer) maps are decent for sure. alot detail missing in alot of smaller places. routing is ok. it's free.

i'd buy CN for us and bicimaps for mex & CA.
  3. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Hi Bruce,
    Thanks for the response, it's appreciated.

For my riding it is always in some place with few people and poor mapping.
    It seems like I end up in Utah on the wrong side of the Green River or somewhere in Montana or Idaho with roads that aren't on the GPS map. Even around my house in northern Wisconsin using Roads and Rec, things are sometimes incomplete as far as the county roads are concerned.

In a month I am off to northern Guatemala and will ride through Mexico and Belize. So I am looking for a solid 'World Map' and then detail for the USA especially off road stuff. I have nothing against paying for Garmin products. We have half a dozen Garmin GPS's floating around in the family and a bunch of Garmin maps.

I used an old Garmin Emap with World map to ride From the Yukon to Tierra del Fuego and back and then across Russia and Mongolia to Europe. It all worked OK, I just thought thing might have gotten better.

I read this thread on Horizons...

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hu...ss-gps/comparison-of-different-gps-maps-43288

So I thought i better come back and check things out.

I never have had auto routing, mostly I just want to see where the road goes or what the options are. I have seen auto routing work and I like it in the cities but for the rest my riding it's not so necessary. I just want to see all the roads in the world on my GPS. I would like to see Garmin World map on steroids.

My machine(a KTM 640 Adventure) carries almost eight gallons of gas. I rarely ride the Interstates. Sometimes I get really lost.
    I would like to set up my GPS and leave my computer at home
    bill

ps.
    Bruce, I am sad to say your analogy to computers goes way over my head.
    b
  4. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Eakins,

"i'd buy CN for us and bicimaps for mex & CA."

What are bicimaps
    bill
  5. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think this is the down fall for your use.

As you probably know GPS units and maps have in the past been very poor for big picture, where do all the roads go planning/navigation, and even with new maps, bigger and better screens they............ still are crap for that.

Planning and big picture leave to paper maps using GPS for location, not the other way around.

For the US:
    As old as R&R is I think 95% of the road miles shown are still valid, probably more. I think by going with CN that might improve to 99% but will cost $80. Add Topo for geographic info if needed. I often switch between CN, R&R and Topo while out in the field. I have been offroad in Moab, Green River and the San Rafael Swell, doubt the roads have changed much in the last 20 years. Some use closures but that is a slightly more complicated matter.

I will leave recommendations for CA and Guatemala to others.

Bruce
  6. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Hi Bruce and thanks.
    All your input really helps. With Christmas coming I think CN is a safe bet for me.
    I have all the rest of the maps for the USA.
    If CN is any good at all in Mexico that would be a big plus.

I'll go over on Horizons and check with some of the world travelers there to see how World map compares to the OSM maps. That should wrap it up if I can figure out how to load everything up.
    Again thanks.
    bill
  7. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Eakins,
    what are bicimaps?
    bill
  8. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
  10. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    I got City Nav for Christmas and I want to install it on my GPSmap 60csx.
    It is in DVD form.

The instructions are simple to install it on my computer but I plan to travel and I don't plan to take my computer along. Once I load it on my computer I understand that I can transfer it to my own SD cards. I want to break it down into sections of the USA so that I can use other maps for those areas and not exceed the tile limit as discussed earlier in this thread.

My question is about the install on my computer. Can I run the DVD on another unit after it is installed on mine, or is it a one shot deal?
    It would be easy to carry the DVD with me?

Should I have bought the SD card format instead of the DVD?

Can I move the information to some kind of mass storage so I can travel with it and not have to haul my computer along to get at the data?

Or must I use my computer to transfer the data to SD cards once I commit the DVD to it?

And will these SD cards only work in my GPS unit, not for instance my son's 60csx which also has City Nav installed?

I don't understand the rules and Garmin is not specific at all in the instructions they provide.

Thanks and Merry Christmas, Happy New Year,
    bill
  11. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You were right to get it on DVD.

Should be no problem putting it on more than one computer. I used my DVD to put it on my two desktops and my netbook.

The DVD comes with an unlock code for only one GPS unit. If you somehow was able to put the DVD data on an SD card, I don't believe it would work in another unit. And the card from your unit won't work in another.

Transfering map data to an SD card would be useless, as the GPS unit won't read data off an SD card like you're wanting. It writes data to the card (your track log) for pulling off onto your PC.

Garmin has covered all the bases.

If I'm wrong in any of this, other, more knowledable guys will chime in.
  12. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can fit all of CityNav/NA on one card... you'll need at least a 2GB card, but its under the 2000-some-odd grid limit.
  13. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DVD is definitely the way to go.

You can install Mapsource and the CN data on several computers.

Not sure what GPS you have offhand, but the 60 and 76 series GPS's will handle 2025 map segments.

Both of those units in the x series (60CSX, 60CX, 76CSX,76CX) will easily handle a 4 gb micro SD card. Get one or more....

Using Mapsource you can select what map segments you want to download to the GPS unit... then transfer them to the unit with the micro SD card installed.

Maps are saved to the SD card and only to the SD card. The unlock code unlocks the map data so it can only be used on ONE GPS unit.... you can save it to multiple SD cards, but only the unit that the unlock code is for can use it.

In fact, some people (Dr Rock) feel it's a good idea to keep a backup SD card loaded with maps along as it has been known for the GPS unit to somehow erase the SD card (and therefore the maps).

When you download tracks, routes and waypoints, they are stored in internal memory of the GPS unit, not the SD card. You can have the GPS store tracklogs it creates into the SD card, but even that is not the default setting.
  14. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, I get it now. I am not trying to steal or distribute Garmin's data, just understand how it works.

Along with City Nav I want to include Roads and Rec and Topo for the USA.
    According to McNutt that is too much data for the tile limit so the USA needs to be broken down into 3-4 2 gig cards plus another one for Mex and CA?

For Mexico I will try City Nav, World Map and OSM maps.

For Central America I will use World Map and OSM maps.

If anyone has experience with Bicimapas for motorcycle travel, I'd like to knowwhat you thought about their map set?

http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/EnglishEdition/WhatIsBicimapa.htm

Any ideas are appreciated.

What is the best way to back up the various micro SD cards in case of loss or damage once I make them.

bill
  15. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    For something like what you're doing, I'd pack a few of the memory cards with.

You can copy the /Garmin/GMAPSUPP.IMG to another memory card and it'll work just the same. Make sure you keep that hierarchy though, GPS won't recognize the mapset if there's no "GMAPSUPP.IMG" file in the "Garmin" folder on the memory card.
  16. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've worked out a way to create a 'Big Segment' version of Garmin's Road & Rec.

You have to have Garmin's CD of Road & Rec to start with, then download some programs from the web, then get my configuration files and follow the included instructions.

It takes ALOT of computer time.... 18-24 hours, but when you get done you end up with a version of R&R that consists of only 95 segments totaling just over 400mb.

That way you can got R&R loaded with CD and still be within the map segment limit.

There are also configuration files out there to do the same thing with the old Topo.. that becomes 300 odd segments.

I've got Metroguide (similar to CN), Topo, R&R, Canadian enhanced base map all loaded on my 76Cx in about 3gb and 1900 map segments.

PM me if you want the R&R configuration stuff.
  17. bkshovel

bkshovel Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info and ideas.

I am such a knob I better learn the standard way before I try to get creative.
    Plus my computer connection is through my cell phone because I live very rurally in northern Wisconsin.

I'll be back to report after I get middle America, Mexico and Central America figured out with City Nav, Rds&Rec, Old Topo and OSM.
    I'll try to get it on a 2 gig card.

My son is a GIS guy for the county and promises to help me so there is hope.
    bill
  19. srad600

srad600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was online looking for this and it seems that R&R has been discontinued? :huh Am I off base here or does someone know where you an still buy this?

Edit - Sorry for the threadjack, but I've been following this thread with similar issues and was curious.
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you can find it on e-bay if you just keep looking. Also it is not copy protected with "locks" so a friend can make you a copy. Actually you only have to borrow a copy and copy it to your hard drive then return it.