Help with mapping for GPSmap 60csx

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by bmwktmbill, Nov 9, 2010.

1. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Guys,
    These are nob questions.

So in my GPS 60 in set up-map-switching(toggling?) the screens across the top I get to"New Mexico, City Navigator, North America NT 2011.1.Jan.

What does all that mean? Is that the City Nav map?

And another question.
    So I saved my last map made from City Nav map as a file, now I want to add World Map for Mexico and all Central America to that same map. Do I go into the file and then run the World map CD and pick what I want and then transfer that to the list of City Nav tiles to the left and then transfer all that to the MicroSD card that is now in my GPS60.

Can I just plug the GPS into the computer to make the transfer or do I have to take the mini SD card out, and put that directly into my computer?

How do I see World map when it is loaded?

Thanks, bill
  2. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that is one or two lines of many in a drop-down which lists each tile/segment on the chip, much like the left hand pane in MapSource. This is where you can select or deselect individual tiles to display or not. I never use it don't know why Garmin includes it.

To toggle map products as a group to show/hide I think you want;

From the map page hit "Menu" > "Setup Map" > the "i" inside the circle tab > then "Menu" button.

I think you were short the last step.

I'm not sure I'm smart enough to answer the last bit other than if you are talking about a saved MapSource file, yes you can open the file and add or delete map tiles/segments from different mapset at any time and I think the transfer can be done by connecting the GPS or via card-reader. I've always do it via the GPS but many use the card-reader and say it is much faster.

Bruce
  3. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bruce,
    Making progress, we got Wiki Open source maps for C. America to down load and up load to my son's GPS60. He has a fast connection.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Working on Garmin World Map for Central America now.
    bill
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    that is city nav and it's using the default naming from the tiles you selected.
    in the lower left corner of mapsource after you select the tiles but before you transfer to the gps i think you can rename.

yes open that map file and then display the maps you want to add and select the additional tiles to transfer.

you can transfer to the card in the unti. it's fater to put it into sd card access mode. that's done in the setup window. after you are done unplug usb cable and restart the unit.

5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  6. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Everyone,
    Got City Nav loaded for the central USA and Mexico, backed that up with OSM maps for Mexico and the rest of central America. Plus we got World Map in there too.
    It's all on a 2 gig card without issues.

It all came out OK once we figured out how to toggle maps and that if you want to update any part of your map set/card you need to make sure everything is included when you run the update.

We learned plenty in the process.

Again thanks to all who helped. You are wizards.

If anyone knows how to turn the ocean and lakes blue on the OSM maps I'd like to know it...otherwise they have great detail.

bill
  7. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a weird issue with my rivers/lakes/water being white... hard reset fixed that. Tripped me up for a week or so after my lakes/rivers/water were blue again. :norton
  8. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Slow mule,
    What's a hard reset?
    bill
  9. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    Pull the µSD card out. Hold [ENTER] and [PAGE] with the unit off, then while holding those buttons turn the unit on. Resets all user data, almanac data, map cache. Turn unit off, reinsert card, turn unit on normally and let it load the mapset.

That made my water blue again.

This does, as mentioned, reset -all- user data... any configurations you've done, you might want to record somehow. I used xImage to take screenshots of all the setup/configuration pages.
  10. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much a last resort, as it wipes out any/all user data that is stored on the unit's internal memory.

Bruce
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    it wipes the sd card if left in?
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read again, "wipes out any/all user data " not wipes out everything on card.
  13. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:

I edited my last post after considering your question.

I believe on the 60/76 you stand to lose:

User Settings
    User Waypoints
    Saved Routes
    Active and saved tracks
    Custom POIs

If the MicroSD is pulled first you insure saving;

User loaded maps
    Archived tracks
    Anything else that might be sitting around on the card.

Bruce
  14. SnowMule

Oddometer:
    Doesn't touch the card, but I'd rather have it restart clean first then load the maps after. One change at a time n' all.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i was looking for clarification if "user data" also means the map segments i loaded on the sd card (in addition to .gpx files etc.). since i loaded those that would technically be "user data". thankfully someone more helpfull answered my question.
  16. JethroDog

JethroDog dogs bark

Oddometer:
    Question on loading City Navigator (I have the 2011 Europe DVD and am loading all 1.85 GB).

I have the 60CSX attached via the USB with a 4GB card installed. Program is loaded on my laptop, I highlighted all the maps using Mapsource, and clicked download. It took a little over one hour to load a file and is now on another...is every segment going to take 1+ hour. Did I do something wrong.

Also, how do I load CN onto my netbook? Can I just copy the whole DVD to a memory stick and load to my netbook?
  17. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The problem your having is because you are loading the maps to the microSD card while it's in the GPS.

That is slowing things down tremendously - it has to go through the GPS's electronics.

Put the microSD card in to a SD card holder, put the SD card holder into a USB adapter, then plug it into a USB port on your computer. Then load from Mapsource to the microSD card directly.

This way the microSD card is just acting like a storage device to the computer (and Mapsource) without having to go through the GPS.

Most of the more recent versions of Mapsource support this... the really old versions did not.

It still takes a long time to start loading map segments as Mapsource still has to build an index file of all the map segments that you are loading, but once it starts transferring things go right along.

Also remember, your 60 can hold up to 2025 map segments with a total map set size of 4 gb (with the current firmware loaded into the GPS). Look at the bottom on the 'Maps' tab to see how many map segments you have along with the total space required.
  18. Trailryder42

Trailryder42 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that should work.

19. JethroDog

JethroDog dogs bark

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help. I've installed a few segments (area around where I live) and it works just fine....I used the card reader as suggested. I was also able to copy the Mapsource and CN DVDs to a memory card and loaded both to my netbook (for travelling). I just need to spend some time now and load the remaining map segments.

We have snow today (again), so it will be a few days before I can give the setup a trial run.
  20. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind when you load maps it over writes any maps you had previously loaded.

So select all the maps you want at once (keeping within the 2025 map segment and 4gb limit) and load them.

You should be pretty much able to load all of the US and Canada within that limit.

I've gotten all of the Metroguide maps of US and Canada, a special version of US Road & Rec, a special version of Us Topo V3 and the enhanced Canadian basemap all loaded at the same time... about 1900 map segments and just over 3gb. Not easy to do, but it can be done! Unfortunately the modified versions of R&R and Topo I can't seem to load on Win7... need a better loader, but that's for another day!

Routes, Tracks and Waypoints it adds to what you have currently loaded.