Help with oill filter removal!!!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by qman8, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Britome

Britome Get Free

Oddometer:
    I see no reason why the 3 finger tool wont fit. You don't have the tool that is referred To or you don't know how to use it. Your problem is solved in 30 seconds. I've used that tool numerous times on 1150's and 1200's for me or my friends.
  2. jsb223

jsb223 ADV Rookie

Oddometer:
    I used a proper METAL filter wrench and drilled three sheet metal screws through the wrench into the filter.

Worked like a charm.

It was on my 1150
  3. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    It's too late in this instance...

But never resort to puncturing the filter by any means. You're stuck if it doesn't work.

One method i've used, and posted about severel times in the past, is to wrap a sheet of sandpaper or wet and dry around the inside of the filter removal tool, and then hit it onto the filter.
    Then a long bar on the removal tool and hold a constant high pressure and the filter WILL give.
    Sometimes it can take up to 30 seconds before you feel it give, but it will. :wink:
    This method has never failed me in 25 years of removing recessed filters from BMW's.
  4. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 the key is to patient and wait for it to give.
  5. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your lucky its a 1200 I have removed 1 from an 1150 that the filter had been that overtightened that the outside can was spinning at the crimp around the outside edge and leaking oil every where. What you need to do is bust off all the outside of the oil filter then the element itself will drop out and the spring etc now you can see all the holes where the oil gets into the outside of the filter. Now get a piece of steel and weld 2 pins the correct diameter for the holes in the right spot so that you can push it in from underneath and undo that sucker. You can use the new filter as the template to make the tool. You do not need to weld anything on the bike.
    I think this happens when the filters are put on dry. Always oil the gasket surface on instalation of a new filter.
    Good Luck
    WR
  6. johnny80s

johnny80s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So many imaginative ways of getting off an oil filter. Interesting thread.
  7. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    I knew I liked Whale Rider...His idea is similar to mine, mine would work on an 1100 or 1150 and a 1200. WRs will only work on the 1200.

Get up to the threaded plate and use the outer holes as a grip point....done. Easy on the 1200 compared to an 11x0.
  8. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    The way to get it off...is to do it right the first time with the right filter wrench that is FULLY seated on the filter and on a fliter that was lightly oiled on the seal when installed originally....done

Fiddling around with universal fit and ponding holes in them and channel locks or making a custom insert tool.....that is LAST resort stuff.
  9. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    It should not be too difficult. If the filter is now damaged then the tools may make it worse.
    I would go with the earlier suggestion to use a chisel. Use one with a narrow end. Dare I say it... "a screw driver".
    Well, one you don't care too much about anyway.

Aim at the thick ridge running around the base of the filter where it sits against the engine block. This is not the sealing surface so there is no great risk. First aim towards the centre to make a good dent. Then tap against that in order to turn the filter. Firm controlled hits.

So... using your picture as a guide. You are trying to get the outside edge, nearest you, to move towards the front of the bike. ((Looking at the left hand side.)

For my R1200GS I purchased one of the special tools. Only a few dollars on ebay. As you said, the 1200 filter is not easy to get at with other tools.

p.s. On my f800 the filter is easy to get at. Chisel and hammer to loosen it. (Never went near the engine block) Just a slight tap. Put the new one on by hand.
  10. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    Christ, guys. This isn't quantum physics. If you spent that much money on a bike, get the tools to maintain it. They aren't that expensive.

Hearing 'chisel', 'sandpaper' and sheetmetal screws used in an oil change tells me there are a few here who shouldn't be changing their own oil in the first place.
  11. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now the job has went south. The oil filter is mangled. Your proper tool, is too late to the party. Where were you when he needed you. The only way this is going to come apart is hammer, chisel, screws. Shit has happened. advice to close the barn door after the horses are out is not helpful.

Warning, the sump is thin aluminum, if you miss you can drive a screwdriver right thru the sump. It has happened.

Have at it, learn to prefill the filter, and oil the gasket, and about 1/2 to 2/3 turn after gasket just touches, and you will never have this problem again.

Rod
  12. Traveling QMS

Traveling QMS Adventurer

Oddometer:

Slight distraction here,

A fellow I went to high school with had a hard time removing the oil drain plug on his car. Wrench didn't provide enough leverage, so on to the ratchet, then the bigger ratchet, then the 3/4 drive breaker bar. His father had plenty of tools to choose from.

Well that plug came out with a nice size chunk of the oil pan. Poor guy had a hard time living this one down after a history of other major errors. He was stronger than most of his classmates at the time, just not very bright when it came to mechanical theory.

He went on to make good for himself and the community. Others do all mechanical work for him now.
  13. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:

Yep, I think you are at that point. Nothing personel, but with everything mangled by you in your attempts to remove this, do you really feel confident at this point to get it off without doing real damage that you, and your wallet, might regret for some time to come ? A lot of the advise you have recieved here might be good, but it sounds as if you are past the point of using most of it. Discretion is the better part of valour................
  14. Kyle B

Kyle B "Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer:
    Lost in the hills of SW VA/ Winter in SW Florida
    A chisel on the flange below the rubber seal will remove the filter. The impact is the trick.
    Torque an oil filter? You don't even have to oil the rubber gasket. The aluminum flange will have enough residue for lubrication. Put the new filter on. Turn to contact point. turn an additional 1/2 to 2/3 turn.Run your Amsoil for 5000 miles. Repeat above steps.
  15. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem, is the filter is already mangled, so, it has to get creative now, the correct FUCKING WRENCH WON'T FIT NOW....so, all bets are off and he needs help getting a mangled filter off.

Please post a pic of the WRENCH, you would use with said filter...

Thank You..
  16. gr8grins

gr8grins Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After you get the filter off, be sure ALL of the old gasket is removed so the new one has a smooth surface with which to seal.
  17. johnny80s

johnny80s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stir
  18. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    It appears that we are at the point of "No special oil filter tool is going to help so it is time for brute force with hammers, punches, chisels and the like".

Remove all the filter internals to expose the filter base plate and apply hammer/chisel blows (caution, not too hard with the hammer inasmuch as you are applying force to the threaded oil filter stub which is secured in the alloy crankcase) to the holes in the filter base plate. It will come off. Use caution as mentioned by a previous poster so as not to perforate the crankcase.

Keep us posted.

:lurk
  19. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    1. Mount a milk crate securely to your garage floor.
    2. Mount your VISE to the top of the milk crate.
    2A. Position your bike over the milk crate.
    3. Grab your OIL FILTER with the VISE.
    4. ROTATE the BIKE...several turns.
    4A. FILTER is now off.:clap
    5. REVERSE process for install.
    :rofl:rofl:rofl
  20. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:

:topes If one takes the time to PROPERLY clean the mounting face of all grit and oil, there is no residue. Any drips of oil will be in one spot and not spread evenly on the flange face.

If it worked for you Kyle, you got lucky.