Help with Oxford Heaterz grips!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by alma1992, Dec 1, 2009.

1. alma1992

alma1992 Jaded AND Cynical!

Oddometer:
    I have posted this question in the DRZ forum also, but no answers. I installed these a few weeks ago, when it was still warm. They worked as advertised. Now that the temperature has dropped, I have tried using them 4 days below 40 degrees with no luck. The light comes on for 2-3 seconds, then turns off. Once the outside temps creep up however, they work fine. The battery is good and I installed per their instructions directly to the battery. It is not a low battery turn off either, as the light flashes if that's the case. It is the model OF 699 if that makes any difference. The voltage seems to be within range as well with bike running. I'm desperate for answers as I want to ride as much as possible this coming winter without getting frostbite. Thanks!:ear
  2. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    Sure sounds like the exact same issue I pulled my hair out over Alma1992. The voltage stated was less than the actual threshold they turn on at. I think the manual said 12.5, but for me it was closer to 13. I was unable to test these without having the bike running at close to 3k rpm. On mine the blue light blinks 2-3 times before shutting off if there is insufficient voltage.

Funny that yours is wonky in the cold, but is it possible that it's because it takes more amps to start the bike in the cold and the battery still hasn't recovered the volts yet?

Be sure to let us know what it is when you figure it out.
  3. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've also got the same heated grips, mine work fine and get plenty hot. However, here's a link to their Heated Grips Troubleshooting page from the guys I bought mine from. I'd also contact the vendor you got yours from, it might be a faulty controller (ie. a bad solder joint or intermittent connection), and see if they'll replace it under warranty.
    Hope that helps, Tony
  4. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also had a similar problem. Just returned it and got a replacement controller. Not sure how old your's is?
  5. HowlingMad

HowlingMad drags knuckles

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you saw this one, but he may have had a similar issue with a control box (that I don't have in mine).
  6. pbryon

pbryon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For my problem, referenced in the post above, it looks like it wasn't the voltage, or the controller box. I ordered another unit from Twisted Throttle, and it arrived tonight. I systematically went through the parts, and it was the cable with the black box with no controls on it that connects to the battery. I don't know why it got messed up, but it did somehow. Will zip it all up again tonight and hopefully have heated grips tomorrow. And will send the defective unit back to Twisted Throttle.
  7. alma1992

Oddometer:
    I'm taking it all off and starting over. Testing every connection individually. I'll post in a few days once I have time to finish. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
  8. mchasal

mchasal Mostly Upright

Oddometer:
    I believe that on the newer models, that box is where all the control circuitry is. The box with the buttons is just a box with buttons. So that black box is the most likely place for a failure.
  9. alma1992

Oddometer:
    Checked all connections(not all that many) and even tried with a brand new battery and they still don't work. It's 37 degrees today. I have contacted LockItt and will hopefully hear on how to go about getting a replacement. I'll keep everyone updated.
  10. Green427

Green427 Comfortably Dumb

Oddometer:
    Interesting problem you are having. Sounds like a defective controller, hopefully they will give you a new one.

I had a couple issues with mine. First, I installed a 30A relay and 18AWG wire to shut the grips off when the ignition was off. The grips would not warm up for a long time (25 min before they were actually hot at 75%). I put a 40A relay/16AWG kit from Eastern Beaver, now they warm up quickly. Curious, since the wiring that came with the grips appears to be 18AWG. Resistance may have been high with the smaller wire and relay.

Other issue is that at idle after 2 min, the grips would shut off on low battery. I replaced the battery, as it hovered around 12.0 volts at idle, now the grips don't shut off at idle.
  11. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any luck with your grips yet?
  12. alma1992

Oddometer:
    I haven't done anything since I've worked the last 13 days in a row. Some midnights and days mixed in there, so my sleep schedule has been a bit confusing. I did contact LockItt and I have the option of sending in my old controller for testing or purchasing a Heat Troller @ a discount and he said he'd throw in several connectors to make the installation easier. They have been helpful and courteous, but I'm very frustrated w/ the product overall. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get the Heat Troller even though I want to avoid extra splicing. He doesn't sound too enthused about the controllers from Oxford and says it may happen again once I install a new one. I won't be able to get to it till after the holidays, but I'll let you know how it goes and include pics of the new install w/ the Heat Troller. Thanks for everyone's input.
    Signed,
    Frustrated & cold:baldy
  13. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    the new ones shut down once voltage drops below 12.5 volts? I wonder if you can get that control unit separately, would be awesome for heated gear whilst riding through the city to shut down during traffic and red lights.
  14. dma251

dma251 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever try to just toss the Oxford controller altogether and rewire it with a regular on/off switch? Thats what I am going to attempt soon. My controller went TU and I only use the hi setting anyway, so why not?
  15. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:
    I have the Oxford Hot Hands and they do not have a controller. Just wired to a switch. I do not see anything about heated grips that would preclude you from wiring it to a switch and eliminating the controller.
  16. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    sure, which controller did you have that failed on you? The digital or the round knob rheostat?
  17. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine died, but it was due to an accident and not a part defect. I replaced it with a controller from WarmnSafe. The Oxford "hothands" wrap-on heated grips I had before were fine with just a on/off switch, however these Oxford "heaterz" heated grips get a lot hotter than the "hothands" so you'd probably be switching them off and on a lot. If you're using them on hi-100% setting all the time, you might check your wiring and make sure you're going straight to the battery for power. Or that may just be an indication of a bad controller too...
    Tony
  18. OrangePop

OrangePop n00b

Oddometer:
    :huh Oxford heated grips problem, They worked fine when I installed them in summer but now I need to actually use them in winter they turn on ok but I cant increase the temperature setting above the bottom Blue 30% setting , has anyone had this same problem?
  19. alma1992

Oddometer:
    I had to hook in a relay and buy a different controller in order for them to function consistently. I bought the controller from lockitt.com. Throw away the junky controller that came with them and enjoy the warm hands.
  20. MidMo

MidMo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm having this same issue on my wife's bike right now. Did you ever find a resolution?