Hepco & Becker alloy panniers help

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Gordon Bennett, May 27, 2004.

1. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett Just you wait

Oddometer:
    Having been assured that all Hepco and Becker panniers would fit the 950 frames, I bought a set of aluminium standard panniers. These do not fit. Have KTM altered the design of the frames from the original H&B design?
    I have contacted the UK supplier and sent an email to H&B but so far no info is forthcoming. Anyone out there had similar problems? Pic shows the frame laying on the chrome support (removed from pannier to see what's going on) so in effect you're looking at it from inside outwards. The forward U bracket does not fit around the frame, but with a bit of a beating might. The mounting latch would line up if there was any way to bolt on the supplied latch plates, but short of welding a plate on the frame and drilling holes I can't see it.

Attached Files:

2. Gordon Bennett

Oddometer:
    End on by the latch

Attached Files:

3. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rubba...

It appears as though the mounted latch plate does not have the holes drilled to attach the "shims" that would allow the aluminum cases to lock on. I have looked at the GS mounts and in fact the the mount latch plate has holes drilled into it.

The Gobi bags and the aluminum cases fir the same rack but you need to mount the shims for the aluminum to fit.

You can call me at 908-740-5203 or email at andrew.fekete@spcorp.com if you need more information.

thanks,
    Andrew
  4. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    You should tweak that chromed lip until it fits (tightly) over the black frame piece. The tabs that are seen in the bottom of one of your pics then stack as "shims" on the opposite end- and become the catch for the latch with the lock on it seen in the other photo. Once you get the lip bent so the frames align properly, you should probably be able to set a stack of the shims that looks about right- then adjust with the various washers that came in the kit. It's an "interesting" way of doing it- but does allow for a lot of fine tuning and a really tight fit if you take your time and get it right.
  5. Gordon Bennett

Oddometer:
    The chrome lip can be persuaded to fit by lessening the bend in the chrome holder, but those shims will only fit on the frames if the existing tag is ground off and replaced with something larger with holes in it.
  6. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    The end opposite the bent tang is different on the 950 than it is on the 1150GS. Don't know what to tell you- but if you think the shims would work, it might just need to be drilled properly. When I did mine, I laid the parts all out on the livingroom floor and did the puzzle assembly thing- the directions were worse than useless. Sounds like you've got to lay it all out and just work through it. I didn't think mine was going to go together when I started- but it worked out. Good luck- maybe somebody with the 950 can post some pics for ya-

Jeff