Here Be Dragons

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by kickstandsup, Jan 5, 2020.

1. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Devout Atheist Supporter

Oddometer:
    davyjones and cpallen like this.
  2. Gerharz14

Gerharz14 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used to be stationed out in 29 palms, I have flown by helicopter to Yuma a few times as well. I have driven by slab city and the Salton sea many times... I got my first motorcycle out there in Indio and rode year round and that is where the love for adventure riding started. Your RR brings back many memories.
    davyjones likes this.
  3. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Nice write up Mike... I need to get back out there myself before the weather starts to warm up again...
    sealsam likes this.
  4. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and glad you enjoyed it! A few years ago, I was coming back from a CA trip and stopped in 29 Palms for the night...after sitting for 2 hours in the rain waiting for the road to be cleared, 11 miles from the hotel... :jack

DSC01643.JPG
    davyjones and sealsam like this.
  5. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rudy, it was a fun start to the new year. And, yeah, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near the Salton Sea in 100+ degrees...:knary
    sealsam likes this.
  6. Gerharz14

Gerharz14 Adventurer

Oddometer:

When it rains in the desert, life stops haha! Also how does the baggy over the gps work for you? I just switched over to using a GPS and almost pulled the trigger on a case.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome reporting and inspiring. i myself would like to visit those places.
    sealsam likes this.
  8. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joel, appreciate the kind words. I might just make this a winter regular...
  9. longwaypyder

longwaypyder Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been using the baggie over the GPS for years, prefer the ziplock kind to ensure it stays in place.Haven't lost one yet to moisture. YRMV.
    davyjones likes this.
  10. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    It worked just fine on the Nuvi, but I've since moved away from Garmin.

My "Garmin Era" began sometime in 2011, but it definitively ended February 1, 2019. The tipping point came when investigating adding a European map to the Nav V that came with my F800GT (Mia), in preparation for shipment to the Fatherland. $99 to add the map...each time...despite the "lifetime maps" feature of the Nav 5. Apparently, that is only for the market in which it is bought. Enough.

TomTom is a Dutch company, and the TomTom Rider 550 is their latest device. Good reviews, fast processor and an extraordinarily intuitive mapping program called MyDrive which allows you to create complex routes. The best part: they load immediately and automatically into the 550 when you are connected to wifi. For anyone that has gone through the frustration of Garmin's Basecamp or dealt with the various workarounds, TomTom is simplicity itself.

But wait, there's more. Preloaded are ALL the European passes and a variety of motorcycle-oriented hotels. Simply pull up the list, it ranks them by distance from your current position. One touch and you've got a route...adjusted to your preferences for "twisty" and "mountainous." Perfect for wandering. What's the nearest pass? Furka, Grimsel, Stelvio, San Bernardino...all a touch away.

Even more...I sold the Nav 5 for almost the cost of the TomTom. I'm a convert! A little $18 bluetooth dongle connects to the Rider easily so I can get voice prompts streamed to my earbuds and adjust the volume. Perfect.

There's a thread here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-tom-tom-550-rider.1323790/

On Mia:

IMG_20190131_160843659.jpg

On Ginger:

IMG_20191202_104931420.jpg
    davyjones likes this.
  11. kickstandsup

Oddometer:
    Oh, and with TomTom, it is lifetime maps...worldwide...
    NSFW and eaglescan like this.
  12. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    ksu,

You've got to go back to Slab & East Jesus, just go early in the day(the residents are still sleeping it off) and not in the summer. East Jesus is probably the best, The Wizard has his property cordoned off and "ask's" for a donation, I slipped a $5 in his basket and made sure he knew it, but his collection is awesome!

With Wizard, I'm not on the right:D,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just missed you by a day in Borrego, woulda been glad to show you around a bit! Next time in the area try Stanlunds to rest your head, Carmelitas to fill your gut, the visitor's center is well done and a wealth of info, the Borrego Palm Canyon hike is a goody and pretty close to the visitor center.

Borrego can be used as a wonderful base camp to some terrific days rides in the area. Up the hill to Julian and over to Dudleys for some fantastic tummy treats.

Sorry for the hijack, I just love the area!

Thanks again for a terrific write up!
  13. kickstandsup

Oddometer:

No worries at all, thanks for the kind words and suggestions. Not sure I'd hurry back to Slab City; would probably spend more time exploring the fun riding roads and doing a loop out of Borrego. Sorry we missed each other, next time you go, hit me up, I could be convinced to do it again! :p3rry