Here I go again

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by draperg1, Jan 14, 2017.

1. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    I have been busy last couple of days. I have installed the heavy duty front spring, and the steering mod I picked up from Claude last weekend. This job requires almost all the plastic to be removed which is a job in itself. I also installed a new front tire. I used a Bridgestone Battleaxe 130/70 17 rear tire. I have one on my R11 rig with over 8k miles with almost no wear. My friend Bill has one on his 1150RT with over 12k miles and very little wear. This tire does require a slight modification to the rear front fender to prevent rubbing. On the LT and RT this amounted to drilling a new top screw hole about 3/8" back from the original.
    The next job will be to install the 175/55 17 car tire on the stock rim. A couple of people have done this with good results by using 6 - 8mm of spacers and longer lug bolts. I will let you know how it works!

Attached Files:

davebig, Bobmws and Ridn3 like this.
  2. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ??? I put a 175/55/17 tire on a cast RT rear wheel and installed it on my 2001 R1150GS. No spacers or longer bolts needed.
  3. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    I was kind of wondering about that myself, unless he's going out to 205, that big old LT exhaust system maybe in the way.
  4. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I also scratched my head over that comment. I thought the 175 would not hit the swingarm, but I don't have any 1st hand knowledge of the LT's.
  5. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the LT tire option thread by szurszewski I believe he encountered this issue.
    Below is a picture of the front tire I mentioned above with over 8k miles.

Attached Files:

Ridn3 likes this.
  6. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Oh, you're right! In fact, I had some 60mm lug bolts that I gave him for his rig! I think he ended up with either a 6mm or 8mm spacer to use with the 175 Achilles. HERE'S that thread.

Regarding that BT-45, I'm tempted to try another one on my GS rig. The first time I tried one, it got destroyed on a gravel road. But then again, that same road destroyed my car pusher too! So maybe it was the road not the tire I should have blamed.

Anybody else reading this thread used a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 Rear and found it not tough enough for gravel?
  7. ErictheBiking

ErictheBiking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, had a 120/80/18 BT-45 rear on the front of the K100 outfit.
    Developed deep longitudinal cracks in the grooves between the tread at 7000km.
    Replaced with a Pirelli 'Sport Demon' rear which at 8000km is pretty worn but no cracks.
    About 30/70 gravel/seal.
  8. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Bill--Sorry for the thread hijack but you mentioning the Battlax has got me thinking out loud because my bike is ready for a new tire right now.

Eric--Thanks for mentioning the Sport Demon. That's a tire that has pretty much escaped my attention up to now. It's available in 130/80-17, it's bias ply, it's tubeless, and though it doesn't have a center rain groove it does have a fairly chunky tread.
  9. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Not a problem any info received will help with my build! Bill L (Ridn3) has over 12k on his Battleaxe and it looks really good. I'll get him to send me a pic and I will post it here.

Attached Files:

10. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    I started out with 36psi in the front tire and it was starting to cup a little on the sides so I bumped the pressure to 39.5. That may be a little high as the tire seems to be wearing faster, esp in the center. May try 37 and see what happens.
    draperg1 likes this.
  11. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Well the rear tire is on. I used four 2mm spacers and 60mm lug bolts. Seem to have plenty of room all around. I can even get my finger between the tire and shaft housing.

Attached Files:

Ridn3 likes this.
  12. davebig

Oddometer:
    Ok I'll bite :-) Grrrrr Woof Why use more spacers than you need ?
    Bobmws, DRONE and FR700 like this.
  13. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Not sure more is the right term, if I go one less the 60mm lugs are too long and the 55mm too short, plus I feel spacing the pusher to the left (as adapters with car wheels do as on my r11 rig) seem to help the handling. You get a little more of a triangle as in a trike, although not much. On visual the tire looks to be centered in the space provided.
    DRONE likes this.
  14. davebig

Oddometer:
    Well then as you wish but McMaster Carr has lots of bolts and great service !
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    OK, that makes sense. The threaded holes in the FD are not very deep and you want to get as many turns as possible on those lug bolts. I usually figure 6 full turns as a minimum and much happier if I have 10 or more.
  16. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    :wings:wings:wingsON THE ROAD AGAIN...... Bill L. came down this week and helped by acting as ballast for the set up of my new toy. After getting the initial done he also helped me lift the body onto the frame. I spent the better part of the day after he left wiring, working on brake etc. I decided to start with about 1/2 degree of lean and 3/4" of tow. Went for a shake down cruise and it felt great! Unless I have some excessive tire wear I doubt I will be changing much. Does not pull one way or the other up to 75mph. Didn't go much faster as I was in the sight of Smokey. There is no head shake at all at any speed and the only damper is the stock one on the bike. To say I am pleased is an understatement. The only adjustment at this point is the brake cable to the chair. The set up on this is a master cylinder and reservoir mounted on frame of sidecar with a cable to the brake pedal of bike. I think need a little less s/c brake but it is not bad. Holder I made for the bike end needs a little more adjustment. Plan on fixing that tomorrow. Gonna go for a ride now ......

Attached Files:

sdpc2, Hookalatch, Bobmws and 4 others like this.
  17. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    Very happy to hear that report. It's great when a plan actually comes together. Congrats. :clap:clap
  18. davebig

Oddometer:
    Bill your an example to us all ! KISS keep it simple stupid :-)
  19. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170226_111835023_HDR.jpg
    I like all kinds of kisses! Pucker up Buttercup :katI have to keep it simple ........ I am simple (minded). I'll continue the updates, especially if I change something.
    By the way I appreciate all the looks, comments, and education (Thanks Dave and Drone) This was my first thread build and it was fun. This was the first time I slowed down enough to take pictures and now I have good history!
    davebig and triumphsidehack like this.
  20. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Well I can't leave well enough alone. I said I was not going to change anything but as usual I rechecked my lean and tow and decided to change the tow to 1/2" and see if it felt different, it didn"t so I may come down some more at a later date. I continue to be very happy with the handling. :-)